We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers: Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
The minimum stay for this property changes depending on the dates selected
CityChalet Interlaken, a bright holiday apartment for up to 7 guests in a chalet built in 2012. It offers three bedrooms, a large living room, a fully equipped kitchen, two bathrooms, a furnitured terrace with garden access and free parking. It is situated very quietly in a large garden next to a river & yet in middle of Interlaken.
Pet-friendlyKid friendlyNo smoking
Check-in from 4pm, check-out until 10am, luggage room available. Strictly no smoking in our Chalet buildings. Silent times from 10pm to 7am, no parties.
A nice chalet located in Interlaken city centre. We stayed at their Harder apartment for 3 nights on our recent visit and liked it. Below is a comprehensive review of the room.
What we liked:
1. Apartment: The apartment is an extension to the main chalet and is made with wood that's pleasant to the touch. It's clean and has a kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom all separated. The car parking bay is right in front of the door so it's convenient when you have baggage. Unlike some chalet like accommodation I've been to, hot water and the other facilities were working very well here.
2. Management: Excellent comms from Matt in advance of our arrival. Instructions are in a leaflet in the kitchen and if you're using public transport, there's a city pass which you can use on buses, etc.
3. Facilities: The kitchenette had all the utensils we needed, bathroom had the washing machine which was a good addition as we had plenty of washing to do.
4. Location: Within the town with gorcery shops close by. Walking distance to Interlaken West and Harder Kulm funicular train.
What could be improved:
1. Bed: The bed wasn't that comfortable and the pillows were too soft. We did ask the maid for 2 additional pillows but they were too soft also. Would be great if some hard pillows can be kept in the wardrobe so people can switch if they don't like soft ones.
2. Bathroom: Would have preferred to have some antibacterial wipes to clean the surfaces and also some toilet cleaner liquid for guests to use. As our stay was more than 1 night we definitely needed to use the cleaning products so we bought it from the store.
3. Upkeep: I'm a gardening freak so would have preferred to see the front and side lawns maintained a bit more regularly to control overgrowth. And it's pleasant to see too.
Overall a very good stay and a unique experience.
Visited May 2022
Written 27 May 2022. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Faulconbridge, Australia3 contributions
I found City Chalet hard to find, we walked around for a while a sign out the front would have helped, we also had to help a few other people find the place. Our apartment was quite roomy with everything we needed. My only complaint is that there were no complementary welcoming items such as tea, coffee, sugar, milk. When you are travelling long distances the last thing you feel like doing is going straight out again to find a few necessities. Thankfully there was a little supermarket close by. I would have liked the garden to have been well maintained it was full of weeds and very scruffy looking, most Swiss homes are meticulously maintained and very pretty I thought the garden outside let the place down. On the positive side it was close to rail, bus and restaurants. We enjoyed our stay there, but for the money we paid it could have been a bit more welcoming.
Visited September 2019
Written 22 September 2019. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom5 contributions
Comfortable oasis of calm in a superb location. Dog friendly.
Excellently ocated and equipped peaceful Oasis in the heart of Interlaken. Matt is both laid back yet attentive and respected our privacy. Dog and bike friendly. Amenities very close. We thoroughly recommend this as an excellent holiday venue to explore the region.
Visited July 2018
Written 29 July 2018. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Bengaluru, India17 contributions
City Chalet , Warm and Comfy
If your are looking for family vacation in Switzerland, cooking, playing games, and chatting with friends and family, this is great place. Fully equipped house (even with indian tea filter, coffee maker, pans, spoons, plates , fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, internet ) its a home away from your home. Two nearby grocery shops can equip with all material you need .
From window one can view the majestic alps over cup of coffee/tea or take a stroll around the nearby flowing stream path. Easy to get to train/bus/boat station and go around. Lots of nice restros around too. Though the alps helps in keeping the price higher than neighboring countries.
Check out the foundue @Hotel Krebes. For first time eaters , you dont have to order one cheese/person, it can be shared. (3 orders for 5 people would be sufficient) .Lots of veggie options too.
Hunting for spots with good wifi signal was an interesting game to me. (Though others did not have any such issue).
Some visitor stamps are kept, you can use it for getting few francs off tickets at St beatus.
Lots of drawers in the kitchen Check each one to find out the type of vessel you are looking for. You will definitely find it. Well equipped kitchen.
Water in the kitchen tap is completely potable. So fill you water bottles before heading of to your daily jaunts.
A baggage counter @ the ground floor helps you to keep your luggage and roam around in case you arrive before your checkin/or have to wait for few hours after your checkout time.
Visited October 2017
Written 5 November 2017. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates1 contribution
Sweet and short
I booked city chalet for five days in July 2017 . The apartment was exactly as per the pictures and was neet and clean equipped with all necessary goods required for a comfortable stay for my family. We had an excellent time at Interlaken and I strongly recommended city chalet , in case your are planing your trip to interlaken . The chalet is near to a big supermarket and walking distance to interlaken west railway station .
Visited July 2017
Written 21 July 2017. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Perfect stay for the family
One can't ask for more, just about 30 seconds is the supermarket and 7 minutes is the train & bus station of Interlaken West. Chalet is very well furnished and Horn family has maintained well. Quite spacious drawing room with lawn for kids to play. If you are staying in Interlaken with family, this is the place to opt for.
Visited October 2016 Travelled with family
Written 13 November 2016. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Blackpool, United Kingdom2 contributions
Great rental property in a great location
We stayed in the City Chalet from 2-9 July 2016.
Such a great located, supermarket literally 30 second walk and about 5 minutes max into the centre of Interlaken, also plenty of parking. There's a nice outside grassy area where our son loved picking the flowers and playing football. If you walk out of the Chalet and turn right up Martgassen, over the two bridges and follow the road round there's a couple of lovely restaurants including a lovely gastro pub (can't remember the name but it's directly next to the car park!)
Chalet is clean and fresh bedding and towels upon arrival. Some signs of wear in the property but that certainly wouldn't put us off visiting again.
Kitchen is spacious and it the chalet had all the amenities we needed including iron and ironing board, clothes airer, washing machine and tumble dryer.
Visited July 2016
Written 11 July 2016. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Mumbai, India8 contributions
Excellent chalet....very close to the station.... And with all amenities required to make stay pleasurable.... The owner Matt is very prompt in his response and helpful.... We thank Matt and family to make our stay memorable.
Visited June 2016
Written 19 June 2016. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Fantastic service by owner and staff
We had the most enjoyable stay of our holiday at CityChalet. The owner, Matt and his staff was very helpful and even assisted our family members with lost luggage after their flight. We really appreciated Stephanie and Matt's efforts in this regard, which was exceeding expectations by far. Interlaken is a charming place and we have enjoyed the peaceful and beautiful environment. The chalet was immaculately clean and is furnished with everything needed for a homely, self-catered stay, There is even a washing machine and tumble dryer. Perfect for families.
The location is central with shops within walking distance. With the train and bus station so close it was easy to use Interlaken as our base to visit other cities such as Luzern and Bern.
We didn't want to leave this beautiful tranquil place and can recommend City Chalet anytime. Thank you, Matt.
Visited December 2015 Travelled with family
Written 12 January 2016. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Bengaluru, India23 contributions
Good Place if you require no service at all . Avoid if you can
The cottage is 10 minutes walk from Interlaken WEST station. This is next to a Denner supermarket. Location is good - you can walk to the cottage from the station even with heavy luggage provided they have wheels.
The property is well maintained, have a good kitchen with plates, glasses etc. They provide one or two dishwasher tablets. So if you are staying for more than two days you could be in trouble. luckily for us we met the owner (when he came to collect payment) who gave us three more tablets. Otherwise we would have had to buy a big packet of them
There are many problems with this property which are as follows:
1. They offer free wifi. Wifi is so slow it is mostly of no use at all.
2. There is absolutely no support at all from the staff or owner (we saw no one except the owner (I guess) during our week's stay, that too when he came to collect payment one night). Two days we saw people waiting outside their booked cottage waiting for their keys. No one was responding to their phone calls also. When we arrived, we also tried calling their number - no one answered. Luckily our door was open and key was inside the cottage.
3. There are three bed rooms. One has a single bed. One has a bunk bed!! and the third has two single beds. The bedding arrangement is not suitable for couples/families
4. There are two bathrooms both are functional - just functional!
Overall, I would not recommend this place for families who would expect a little bit of luxury or service. If you are big group, I think it could turn out cost effective.
If you are touring swiss for a week or more like we were doing, better to stay in Lucerne rather than interlaken. If you are planning to stay in Interlaken, pl consider some other place.
Visited October 2015 Travelled with family
Written 12 November 2015. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Dear Mr. Iyer
Thank you again for your stay with us and your extensive notes here.
We take the opportunity to answer to your points:
1) The Wifi is working properly - with some obviously slow times, we agree. But during your stay we measured up to 15GB incoming traffic per day and the backbone load never exceeded 45% load. We do not exactly know where and what we should upgrade or change. Any suggestions from your side?
2) We looked back in our phone list - no calls from you. What support did you expect? We are not a hotel, we rent out non-serviced apartments. The other guests then waited because they arrived way early and we were still busy having their apartment properly ready for them. We don't have a reception as such, we communicate our check-in time (4pm) clearly and also we ask every guest to let us know when they plan to arrive. Therefor it was no ?luck? that your apartment door was open. We had no idea when you will arrive beforehand, so we put up some signs so you can find your entrance easily, go in and make yourself a home.
3) We consider us as family holiday place - and children LOVE the bunk bed.
4) What do expect from a bathroom? We do not claim or try to be luxury, we are a basic offering with basic infrastructures.
To your other comments: As far as we know other holiday apartments in Interlake ? the location of our Chalets is incomparable; we are 700m from Interlaken West station and 300m from town center but still it is absolutely quiet here in our little resort. Interlaken is not comparable to Lucerne; we are a small village between two lakes, surrounded by nature and peaks from 700m to 4500m, and Lucerne ? in contrary ? is quite a big (historical) city on a lakeside.
For now, generally we would appreciate your concerns about your stay while you are here, so we have the to react on it.
We are looking forward to welcome you and your family back for another stay in Switzerland one day soon.
Kind regards, Matt Horn & Family
Written 13 November 2015. This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.
Interlaken and the Jungfrau Region are Switzerland’s most beautiful vacation, recreation and activity region. From a great culinary selection to cultural highlights, breathtaking mountain-excursions and the world’s most intense adventure activities. Everything is possible to make your stay an unforgettable one.
Interlaken West is a 5 min flat paved walk away, from where you have trains to Spiez and Bern and buses to Thun, Beatenberg, Wilderswil and Interlaken Ost - from where all trains to Brienz, Luzern, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and the Jungfrau Region.
Car not needed
How to get there
Arriving by train:
- Take the train to “Interlaken West”
- Follow the train tracks left of the bank “UBS” 200m then cross the train tracks
- Between the supermarket and the bridge turn in right and pass our garden gate
Arriving by your own individual vehicle
- Motorway to Interlaken, take exit 25 “Wilderswil”
- Direction Interlaken, follow “Zentrum” as long as possible
- Go straight over the large roundabout intersection direction “Unterseen”
- Cross the train tracks and after the supermarket
Golf course (within 30 mins drive)Horse riding facilitiesTennis court
Things to know
Check in / out timings
Check in after 4 pm • Check out by 10 am
100% refund within 24 hours after booking (provided the stay is at least 60 days away).
50% refund* if you cancel at least 4 weeks before check-in
25% refund* if you cancel at least 2 weeks before check-in
No refund available once booking is confirmed
About this property
First, check the Availability tab on this page to see if your dates are available. If they are, contact the owner via the Tripadvisor Rental Inbox to confirm availability.
Initially, you may contact the owner via the Tripadvisor Rental Inbox. This inbox is created after you send your first message or booking request to the owner. After you've made your first payment, you'll be able to see the owner's contact information.
This owner will contact you via the Tripadvisor Rental Inbox.
You can send another message via the Tripadvisor Rental Inbox to ask if the property is still available.
For this property, please use a credit card to pay via the Tripadvisor Rental Inbox. Once the owner approves your stay, he or she will send you a quote, which will include payment instructions.
Yes. Payments made via the Tripadvisor inbox are covered by our Peace of Mind Protection.