“An extremely professionally run hotel, especially for our group of 100 people”

Hotel Verviers Van der Valk
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Verviers
Spain
“An extremely professionally run hotel, especially for our group of 100 people”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I read the reviews, and after staying at this hotel I really don't understand the complaints but I suppose anything could happen. I worked with this hotel over months to organize a trip for 100+ people, and the overall experience of our group was fantastic. I didn't hear a single complaint from our group - quite the contrary.

The dinner was fantastic. Extremely professional and tasty. We fixed the menus ahead of time, and despite 100 people for dinner, an army of waiters delivered hot food to all the tables in less than 3 minutes. They appeared extremely well organized, and were pending all the time to see if we needed anything.

The rooms were large and comfortable. The manager was checking up on us regularly to see if anything else was needed. I couldn't be happier with the choice of hotels, and if we return to the Spa area again will no doubt return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CharlesMcCall
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2010

It's not easy to find a reasonably priced hotel in Belgium. I stayed on night here at this hotel and also ate in the restaurant.
My overall impression was that this is a good hotel but it could be much better.

Well it was the little things that could so easily be fixed, ie, I got to my room and you need to insert the key card for the electricity to go on. However, in the dark, it's difficult to find the key box and after calling the receptionist, it seems there is a trick to inserting the card. The window did not close properly and the TV channels were not tuned in correctly. I also did not like the fact that the toilet was in a different room to the bathroom and without a sink. The smell from the canal is also not very attractive.

Overall, I would stay here again, but if they could fix the small things, it could be a much better hotel as the furniture and ambience is nice.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at the Verviers van der Valk while on our way to Normandy, France. We found the hotel on Booking,com and thought it might be a hidden gem for the price.

The hotel had everything imaginable, but sometimes at a high price. On arrival, in our tourist cllothes and after driving for 10 hours straight from Czech republic, we felt a little out of place in the pristine luxuriosness of this restored customs building. There were customers outside having dinner and drinks and we got quite a few glances..sort of... do they really fit in here? We felt the same way with the staff in the reception. They were polite and correct of course, but all the same.

The room was beautifully and tastefully furnished, modern and had a wall-mounted flat-screen tv and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was modern and elegantly fitted with Villroy and Bach porcelain. It had both a shower and bahtub. The only "quirky" thing was that the toilet was across from the bathroom in a little cubicle.

The restuarant was very pricey so we went off looking for something a little more Belgian and a little more our style. After taking en elevator down through a shopping center and walking a bit to a "shoddier" part of town, we found a line of small, inviting restaurants along the river, which all offered a fixed- price tourirt menu. We had a very nice and filling dinner at one of them before returning to the hotel.

Before falling asleep my husband made good use of the free WiFi and we watched a little tv while lying in the comfortable beds.

Breakfast was an added charge, but was well worth it- I've never seen so much variety-everything imaginable-even champagne for those who feel the urge! We really filled up
and left for France rested and satisfied with our stay in Verviers.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Recently spent 3 nights there when attending motor racing at Spa. Hotel is large and modern with some 4* aspects but some areas let it down. The Bar and restaurant service was chaotic at times - with incorrect orders brought to the table and long delays between courses. Often room numbers were not asked for when ordering drinks or attending breakfast. There is very little information in the room about room service and nothing about in-room breakfast pricing. On the Saturday night a wedding party disco continued till 4am disturbing many people along one wing of the hotel. The room was 'typical' of a modern hotel with the mod cons you would expect.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank 186406LadyJ77
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 6 October 2010

It's not easy to find a reasonably priced hotel in Belgium. I stayed one night here and also ate in the restaurant.

My overall impression was that this is a good hotel, with an excellent restaurant but it could be so much better. The hotel staff is friendly, the food at the restaurant was excellent and so was the service. So why did I only give them 3 stars?

Well it was the little things that could so easily be fixed, ie, I got to my room and needed to insert the key card for the electricity. However, in the dark, it's difficult to find the key box and after calling the receptionist, it seemed there was a trick to inserting the card (whilst pulling the switch away from the wall). The TV channels were not tuned in correctly. I also did not like the fact that the toilet was in a different room to the bathroom and without a sink. And sadly one thing they can't fix is that smell from the canal was not very pleasant so I could not open the window all night. This may have been because of the wind direction. Lastly, the restaurant has a normal menu but if you ask (and only if you ask) you can get another bar menu too.

Overall, I would stay here again, because of the price, good food and nice ambiance, but if they could fix the smaller things, it could be a much better hotel and perhaps gain another star.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Verviers
10.2 km away
38.5 km away
Hotel Victoria
Hotel Victoria
#14 of 20 in Durbuy

Been to Hotel Verviers Van der Valk? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK