“Excellent!”
Review of Dragon Vert

Dragon Vert
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 26 October 2015

Always simple and good food, very flexible and a regular favourite for me and the family. Anything from steamed fish to fired noodles, sweet and sour fish, king prawns, crab, ...

Reviewed 26 September 2015

After reading the rave reviews, my wife and I thought we were in for a gastronomic Chinese food fiesta before our visit. In eager anticipation, hired a cab to battle a slight rainy spell and travel all the way from our hotel (Shanti Maurice in Chemin Grenier) to this place in Quatre Bornes for dinner. After an hour of driving, arrived at their sister outlet - King Dragon next door. This had some catchy music and was full with the clientele tucking in their foodie treats. Some were even waiting to lay their paws on a table. Should have taken that as a good sign and waited for our turn there. Instead, we headed to Dragon Vert after thinking that all of the good reviews we had read couldn't be wrong. However, to our dismay, they were (or at least on the day we showed up. One word to sum up the experience that followed - Disappointing! Start from the cold welcome that bordered on the confused. Ok, so we were tourists that spoke only English... but surely, simply pointing to a table to sit is not a polite welcome in any language. Anyway - to cut to the food - wife ordered the Chinese soup which was fairly ok. However the "crab" soup that I ordered was a corrupted version of the real stuff. I was clearly served a tomato based soup in which a hapless boiled crab had been dissected and dunked at the last minute. Having sampled crab soup at other establishments, I could taste none of the rich crab flavour or meat that is the hallmark of such a soup. When I quizzed the waiter, he flippantly remarked that "It says crab soup on the menu and I don't know how they make it inside the kitchen". How's that for service? For main course, had ordered their dragon fried rice which was ok - nothing to write home about. The chicken in black pepper was converted to chicken in black bean sauce and can't say I enjoyed the smell of the latter very much. All in all - a very average meal with below average service. In hindsight, should have probably tried my luck at the "King Dragon" next door. Perhaps, I would spent extra but at least gotten a better spread. After all, there must've been some good reason why they had the catchy music and people waiting to get a table while the "dragon vert" bore a forelorn look and disinterested staff when we dropped in. This place serves average street quality comfort food. Was not worth it for us.

Reviewed 12 September 2015

When I was still a child, I remember I very often used to go there with my parents. We got used very quickly with the waiters, who had the opportunity seeing me turning from a little girl to a young adult, and they knew my tastes very well too: chop suey, sweet and sour, oyster sauce, fried rice, magic bowl, chinese soup, sze chuan, etc. Unfortunately, the more the years were going by, the culinary hygiene got worse :(

What made me sad though was that adorable waiter, who was assassinated together with his girlfriend while some rogues tried to attack them during a walk they had. I will never forget him and may he and his girlfriend rest in peace and justice be done for them.

I will never either forget Vella, the manager, who always enjoyed his work with all his heart and who was a great worker, despite his health complications. A gentleman in disguise!

Reviewed 11 July 2015

Went there with friends for lunch on a Saturday (after having heard much praise about the resto). Vast parking space and well situated in quatre bornes. We sat on balcony where we had good view of the west mountains and busy town movement. Place is cozy and interior well decorated. Of course, food beat all of that :) starters were yummy (try chicken in honey sauce). We tried a variety for main course and most succulent was the fish in paprika sauce (even if it's off the menu, they'll prepare it for you). It was also very vue for money. I'll definitely bring some newbies there soon :)

Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

We have eaten in this restaurant a few times. The service is good and very fast, the food is good Chinese food and always the same level. Good food at a good price. Please don't expect high class plates and glasses as it's not the restaurant for this.
If you are in for good Chinese food without the star level table etc then you can try this place.