“Five stars just isn't enough”
Review of Cabins El Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
Cabins El Sol
Ranked #10 of 41 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Five stars just isn't enough”
Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

During our ten week trip throughout central America, El Sol was a real highlight. We stayed in the big cabin and it is simply beautiful. It's obvious that Elisabeth has but much of herself and much love into its design and this really shines through. We spent three nights there but wish we could have stayed longer. And the infinity pool which looks out to the mountains is just divine.

Javier is incredibly knowledgable about the area and gave us lots of advice on activities. We did a night tour with him and saw motmots, porcupines, sloths and tarantulas. It was fantastic. We also did a half day horse riding tour to a beautiful waterfall where we were the only people there. It was quite a memorable experience. Javier also gave us a lot of help organizing transport to puerto viejo and went out of his way to make phone calls and help us get everything we needed. He really is a gem.

I can't recommend this place highly enough and can't imagine having a better experience in Monteverde than we did at El Sol.

Stayed March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed in the large cabin and I have to say the views are amazing. We referred to the large window as our "big screen tv." I have read other, less favorable reviews about El Sol and I can understand why they may not have enjoyed themselves. El Sol isn't for everyone; but everyone would benefit from a visit.
I first visited Monteverde 18 years ago (and my most recent visit was a little over a decade ago). It has changed a lot since then. I didn't even recognize Santa Elena. El Sol captures what I remember of the area. It is in no way commercial. Javier and Elizabeth are helpful, generous, and extremely hospitable. Their thoughtfulness was evident throughout our stay. From the moment we first arrived and our daughters found crayons, pens, and paper, we knew we had arrived to a home away from home. The kitchen is small, but with enough appointments to make a meal or two. But who would want to cook when you can have delicious food delivered to your door morning and night?
The cabins are rustic, there is no doubt about that. But we had hot water for showers and dish washing. We did share our cabin with a number of "friends," but that was all part of the experience. I found a stick bug in our cabin. The girls thought that was the coolest!
El Sol is not the Four Seasons. In fact, I think my very particular brother-in-law would probably think it his version of camping. Again, El Sol is not for everyone, but that is a positive. Otherwise it would be overrun.
I wish Javier and Elizabeth the best of luck. Hopefully we'll be back to stay at El Sol again soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the large cabin. The view is worth the price of admission. I rated the sleep quality as...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Devon
Reviewed 21 February 2012

With the Icelandic ash cloud hampering our plans to visit in 2010 on honeymoon, we finally got to visit El Sol as part of our trip to Costa Rica.

Elisabeth was very helpful before we arrived and Javier (her son) was a great host when we were there.

We stayed in both the big and small cabin during our stay. Both are fantastic but the larger does have a fantastic view over the hills. We got to have a look around the house and I would also recommend this option.

Definately recommend a night walk with Javier - a wealth of information on the local wildlife.

We had humminbirds outside our cabin, saw toucans flying and more.

The house is a 10 minute taxi ride outside the town but I wouldnt class this as a negative.

We didnt have a car, but should we visit again, this would be one area of our trip that we would liked to have had one.

Room Tip: Large cabin is best, but the small one is also great!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 February 2012

If I could give 2 points more, I would. El Sol was the highlight of our trip through CR. A unique, peaceful place for nature lovers. We had a small wodden house overlooking the vast valley. Just stunning. The house is simple but decorated with Charme and Love. Elisabeth, her son Javier, his wife and all the staff are adorable, warmhearted and welcoming. We felt part of the family and had a great, happy time. Javier is a very experienced, wise guide - he provided us with unforgettable tours and knowledge we still talk about. This place and its people are truly unique and magic!

• Stayed February 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Unless you own your own cabin in the mountains rarely do you get a chance to have as serene and tranquil an experience as we had at El Sol. Once you leave Hwy 1 and start the drive up the mountain (4x4 recommended) there is a feeling of leaving the usual for the uncommon. It's a winding, rutted narrow road at spots but the views of the valleys and the Gulf of Nicoya at various hairpin turns along the climb are spectacular. When you reach the yellow and blue gates of El Sol, unlatch and swing the gate back and drive in the enchantment begins. Built by hand, each cabin is unique, artfully designed and crafted and thoughtfully detailed. We stayed in the small cabin but we went to see the main house and the large cabin as well. Our cabin overlooked a wide valley and the views from the 20 pane glass front wall were inspirational. Finding a box of pastels and colored markers along with drawing paper on the window bench is a nice touch. One of many given to you by your hosts at El Sol. Rocking chairs on the porch, a place for the hammock and a wood fired sauna next to an infinity pool that could be at home in Japan are more indicators that Elisabeth and Javier have taken El Sol steps above the typical. Cook if you like or order meals in. The kitchen is small but functional. I loved preparing meals on the 2 burner stove and was definitely channeling my inner Julia Childs constructing meals that I would normally do at home in a much larger kitchen. In the candlelight overlooking the moonlit valley I think they tasted better.

Room Tip: The larger cabin has a better view at sunset
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple