Lowest prices for your stay
$159
$129
Priceline$159
Hotels.com$159
Hurb$165
All reviews cloud forest costa rica hardwood floors large windows hotel grounds beautiful grounds spread out pool and hot tub reception area nature trail stayed here for nights monteverde reserve night walk monteverde area tubs birds roads
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 May 2022

I had to select this hotel as an alternative to my preferred hotel which is not a good start. The hotel itself is not bad at all but the location is kind of problematic. I don't mind that it's away from town but the road conditions make it a horrible drive.

The good part is the huge rooms. I don't think I have ever stayed in such a big regular room. Great views to the garden surrounding the hotel. A little bit of wildlife walking around on the property. The pool is not very inviting and the breakfast room seems a bit neglected.

Hotel staff is nice and try their best despite not speaking much English, French, German or other languages. It worked with hand gestures and repetition of sentences.

Reviewed 7 May 2022

My 15 year old son and I stayed two nights here. I was concerned as had read some negative reviews about it being dated. We had the most basic room type, and it was perfect for our needs; with one double and one single bed, large windows with a beautiful view where we enjoyed stunning sun sets. There were a couple of things that could do with updating; the curtains were very old and some of the hooks were missing so had to stand on a chair to hook them fully up at night and the bath in the bathroom was stained from age but this didn't affect our enjoyment and everything was very clean! The staff were super friendly and it was easy to arrange trips and they couldn't do enough. The gardens are absolutely stunning and we saw lots of wild life here. My son used the pool which he said wasn't too cold (we're used to Cornish Atlantic water!). The breakfast buffet was adequate, the freshly made omelettes really good. We did a coffee, chocolate and sugar cane tour which was excellent and a Monteverde Reserve rainforest tour which was very interesting (although we saw more wildlife in the hotel gardens!). We didn't use the restaurant but had lunch on the bar terrace and used room service one evening and the food was really good (my son loved the pizza). This unique hotel has a lovely, friendly atmosphere and is in a peaceful, quiet location and I'm pleased to have stayed there while visiting the area.

Reviewed 27 April 2022

A beautiful, quiet hotel, with plenty of wildlife nearby - we did the nature trail at the hotel and saw monkeys, Coatis, toucans and an armadillo.
The staff were absolutely lovely, and the pool area was great.
The rooms were absolutely beautiful and so spacious. My only small critique is that the bathroom was outdated/run down and would benefit from a refresh.

But overall, highly recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: March 2022
Reviewed 27 April 2022 via mobile

The buildings here are solid, old & full of character, bit like European ski chalets. The bedrooms are lovely and beds were the most comfortable we stayed in during our travels throughout Costa Rica. Bathrooms do need refurbishment and I did feed this back at reception, aside from this though it was a great place to stay. Breakfast was a big hit with egg chef, hot plentiful self service buffet, so no fuss or queues. We used the bar in the evening for pizza (massive btw), wings & drinks with a game of pool. Taxi into town was £5 / 3k Calones. All the staff here are super freindly.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2022

Was a bit nervous before we arrived having read some of the negative reviews. Yes, the property is a bit old and the lighting in the rooms is not great, but they are working to "refurbish" the place. On a positive note, the location and setting is really nice...spread out and peaceful. The terrace bar has a fantastic view, and the food was great. The pool area is pretty good as well (although not a heated pool), with two hot tubs. The staff at check-in were very helpful and provided some guidance on things to do while in Monteverde, as we had not booked anything in advance. If you are making your way through Monteverde for a few nights and are not too fussy about super modern amenities, and you are looking to spend some time just relaxing and hanging out, Fonda Vela is a pretty good choice.