Hotel Mision Catavina
Motel California(Ensenada)(Great Value!)
  • Beachfront
US$ 122
US$ 94
Posada Don Fernando(Ensenada)(Great Value!)
US$ 84
US$ 65
Hotel Cortez(Ensenada)
US$ 78
Posada El Rey Sol(Ensenada)(Great Value!)
US$ 89
Ensenada Inn(Ensenada)
US$ 67
US$ 65
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Hotel Casa Del Sol(Ensenada)(Great Value!)
US$ 105
Villa Marina(Ensenada)
US$ 81
All reviewsan oasisrock formationsmission styleswimming poolcabo san lucasdesert landscapeguerrero negrorooms are basicexcellent hotelbaja californiathe hotel is cleanlovely propertystopping pointcave paintingscactuswifibloom
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Driving from Ensenada to Santa Rosalía. I fell upon a quite by accident, the heritage, brooms, friendly staff, great bartenders, pools and amenity’s, makes this place a must if you’re driving down the Baja!… I will definitely keep this hotel in mind when I come down the Baja ther I fell upon a quite by accident, the heritage, brooms, friendly staff, great bartenders, pools and amenity, makes this place must if you’re driving down the Baja!… I will definitely keep this hotel in mind when I come down the Baja again!!!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

I'll start with the not so good: the food. I ordered a steak dish and it was closer to beef jerky. The sole of a shoe would be easier to chew.

The bad: the beds are from the torturepedic line.

The good: this is a really unique place. The pool is in a courtyard. The building it's self is an older mission with lots of history. It is definitely beautiful.

The excellent: the bar service was exceptional. Our servers were awesome and prompt. I cannot say enough good things about hanging out here. I would do it again!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 December 2017

This is in general a lovely property, but on closer inspection there are some upkeep issues. If the management doesn't pay attention to little things that are broken and they don't instruct the staff to behave in a more welcoming manner, it will not be so wonderful.

The food sucks, and it's a bit pricey for Mexico, but still given the location it is fine. The rooms are big and attractive in the mission style with a lovely courtyard and a pool that must be nice when the weather is warmer than when we stayed there. It looked like there was another option for food across the road, but we made do with the rather expensive less than mediocre food. Also they charge by the hour for the internet which doesn't work. They could get away with charging the same rate, maybe more if they were more pleasant and offered free wifi.

The area is spectacular! Some of the most arresting scenery we've ever driven through.And there's the added attraction of the nearby cave paintings and a walk in the desert. It's really worth stopping there and I would go there again, because there are few options other than the Mision.

Room Tip: Best rooms are not facing the highway. Only Spanish spoken.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2017

This is a beautiful hotel in the middle of absolutely no where. It is old style Spanish with a fountain courtyard, and another courtyard with a large swimming pool. A room with a bar, TV and pool table is also available. Rooms are located all around the courtyards. Beautiful mature trees and cactus gardens have been used to make beautiful surroundings. There is original Mexican style art on many of the walls. It is absolutely quiet which is not always the case with hotels by the side of the road. When you open the door to your room in the morning, you will be greeted by 100's of chirping birds. The restaurant is not 5 star, but better than average. The staff were friendly. We had our dog with us and had to pay an extra charge for the dog, which is common.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Considering the fact that this hotel is the only thing in town to write home about, I'm glad to be able to say that it exceeded my expectations. The rooms were spotless, the airconditioning unit actually worked, and the staff were friendly enough. Most important my girlfriend was happy. After sleeping four days in a van, she was ready for a place where she didn't need to take a shower with a bucket.

We decided to stop here mainly because it is a good jump off point to Bahia de Los Angeles. We make it a point to find a place to stay by 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon. I was interested as well in photographing the beautiful landscape, which reminds me a lot of Joshua Tree, but with the addition of some really big Serrano Cactus.

I personally prefer to rough it, but when traveling with your partner, it's important to compromise. Our next stop is Bahia de Los Angeles, where we will probably be staying at least two or three days beach camping.

For the record, Hotel Mission Catavina used to be called La Pinta Hotel. That's what we were actually looking for when we got here, and as it turned out, this was the hotel, but under a different name.

The only thing I would change here is the charging for Wi-Fi. Even at 30 pesos an hour, which is about $2.25 or so, after paying $71.00 for a room, I would expect the Wi-Fi to be free.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple