Last week my wife and I checked into Bananarama, centrally located on West Bay beach. We stayed for a week in cabana #3 which is a free standing unit near the office and dive shop. The cabana is well built of solid wood and had no leaks or drafts. It is a small unit of approximately 12 x 15 ft featuring a FIRM double bed, plenty of windows, overhead fan, air conditioning, lots of hot water, good water pressure, small microwave and small refrigerator. Ouside the front door there is a porch (5 x 12 ft) with two chairs and a table.
The resort has very clean grounds, well raked every day, trimmed shrubs and good drainage for the days when the sky opens up with rain. There were plenty of very pleasant staff for the grounds, bar, restaurant, rooms, etc.
WiFi is free but comes and goes, not reliable, but useful when it works.
The food was disappointing. Breakfast is included but consisted of a choice of cold cereal or a fruit plate or something hot that varied from day to day. The oatmeal was inedible. After two dinners we ate elsewhere.
The rub is that the resort caters not only to its guests but the cruise ships too. On Monday we received a notice that the cruise ships would be arriving on the island every day, Monday through Friday and the taxis and vans started arriving at 9:00 in the morning. The cruise passengers pretty much take over the bar, restaurant and beach until 3 or 4 o'clock.
The dive shop is first class and busy. They have two boats that handle up to 8 guest divers each. They usually do a two-tank dive in the morning and one-tank dive in the afternoon. The rub for us was that the compressor runs all afternoon and the noise is very annoying if your room is nearby as ours was.
This resort is a mixed bag of good and bad. We had a great time in spite of the parts that rubbed us wrong but we'll pass on Bananarama the next time around.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Bay Islands/West Bay, Roatan