Tongariro Crossing Lodge(National Park Village)
TripAdvisor
Plateau Lodge(National Park Village)
TripAdvisor
Howards Mountain Lodge(National Park Village)
TripAdvisor
Ski Haus(National Park Village)
YHA National Park(National Park Village)
Pukenui Lodge(National Park Village)
TripAdvisor
Mountain Heights Lodge(National Park Village)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstongariro crossinglamb shankloft roombar and restaurantpacked lunchroaring firecommunal kitchenschool holidaysmini fridgegreat atmospherestayed here for one nightcommon areasdrying roompleasant stayhot tubtea and coffeeboth nights
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Like most people we stayed here to access the Tongariro Crossing. We stayed for 4 days to maximise the chance of the weather breaking, which it did; for 1 day.
The rooms are small and very basic. My feet hung out of the single bed (I am 6ft tall) and we had to be very tidy to make sure we could move around. The worst thing though was the noise. Walls are paper-thin and when our neighbours took a shower I though they were in the same room! We could hear conversations next door and from outside quite easily. The gutters are blocked which means that when it rains water pours onto the walkway so you get wet, even though you are under cover. There are two laundries, though the staff use the upstairs one to wash the linen, so you may want to avoid that if possible. On a positive, all the staff were friendly and the food is good, though only one person serves drinks and takes food orders at the bar, so you may be queuing for a while. On the day the weather broke this amazing mountain appeared from nowhere and suddenly the views were spectacular. Most tour companies will pick up from here which is a bonus.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
TheParkHotelRuapehu, Front office at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Hello,

Thank you for your comments.

We will address the maintenance issue regarding the guttering, thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.

It is great to hear that you were able to see the mountains during your stay and enjoyed our restaurant and found the staff to be helpful.

Reviewed 12 January 2017

Stayed for one night on 29DEC, 2016 with my family.
Room was clean and staff was friendly enough for me.

As other rooms got a mini fridge (I could see through windows), I requested for one but they just said don't have one for my room. A bit shame as I remember that I had one when I stayed here a few years back with my friends in a similar room.

Except that it was all good. Cozy & nice place to stay. Quite at night for a sleep.
Location is good for hiking. Has a nice bar and restaurant for breakfast, dinner and coffee.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
TheParkHotelRuapehu, Front Office at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, apologies again for the lack of fridge in your room. We hope you were able to make use of the fridges in our guest kitchen that were pointed out to you. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the facilities onsite:)

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Very friendly staff and great hotel. Nice modern room and bathroom. I wish there was bathtub but it seams it's very New Zealand thing not to have one as I havnt had in any hotel I've stayed so far. Great packages for the Tongariro Crossing hike - hotel organise drop off and pick up and also pack very nice lunch! Good food in the Spiral restaurant for very reasonable prices and when the bar is closed before 4 the reception staff was very happy to organise drinks for me so I could enjoy cool bev after all day hike and admire the view from the restaurant that is overlooking Mt Ruapehu and Togariro.
Definitely recommend! Only small minus is that you can hear your neighbors as the wall is very thin however everybody get dead quiet after 8.30pm so I still got very good and comfortable sleep.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo

Hello,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while completing the Tongariro Crossing:)

It is great to hear that your stay was comfortable and made easy with our Crossing Package and you enjoyed your meal at our restaurant as well:)

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

The location of the place is good for doing all the hikes in the area. From the outside the hotel looks like an old barn, the rooms are standard with a tiny toilet/shower. They have a common area with kitchen and TV. On a good note, the staff is very friendly and helpful. It is an OK hotel, so don't expect more. It is good for hiking the area for some days or if you need a shower and nice bed after days of camping.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gerald_WuPe

Hello Gerald,

Thank you for your comments.

We agree, the location of the hotel does make it ideal for those who want to get out and explore Tongariro National Park:) We are glad to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

It's ok, no problems at all. Rooms maybe a bit small. Second day we was a bit unlucky, had a family with kids over us. They was jumping around,....after 2 hours it's getting annoying. Don't know why they put family's on the second floor, makes no sense at all, as you can hear everything, also you're neighbours. A lot of guest are talking very loud outside, as everything is open. If you are looking for a quiet place, I would not recommend it. But it's clean and close to the parking area to do the crossing,...25 minutes by car. But the hotel has a shuttle service $35 , they bring you and pick you up. If you're a fast hiker that means 2 hours waiting, to get picked up. There are other shuttles , they pick you up and bring you to the car.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
TheParkHotelRuapehu, Front Office at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2017

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while completing the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.

Apologies for the noise, we hope you still got a good nights sleep for your hike:)