All reviews great wedding venue friends wedding wonderful setting wedding breakfast stayed one night bed and breakfast full english breakfast following morning plenty of parking afternoon tea yogurt conference disco orangery
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Disappointing all round, sadly. The conference centre is probably an income generator but it is an eyesore at the back of the property. The rooms are very outdated (pink bathroom, small flat screen TV, springy bed, old furnishings). Bar area was lifeless and has some old uncomfortable furniture not making it an ideal place to relax.

Breakfast was a very poor buffet. For the price paid, we were at least expecting something a little more palatable than tinned mandarins/grapefruit (hard to believe - this isn't the 1970's), sloppy scrambled eggs and dried up tomatoes. They did at least cater for poached eggs on demand (with the waitress yelling "2 poached eggs" at the top of her voice in to the kitchen).

The grounds are very nice but a shame to see a tennis court disused and overgrown and parts of the house in a very poor condition.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HKCrocky
Ashwin R, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear HKCrocky

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. The hotel needs refurbishment and we will begin that soon. Our breakfast offering is very good , i will take up your comments with the kitchen team.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Stayed for a night with my partner as guests at a close friend's wedding (Sat 25th Aug 2018).
Lovely, historical-looking building with exposed beams in the bar area, a large disco room, medium sized dining room and medium sized ceremony room.
All rooms that were used were well decorated, gorgeous food provided for the wedding breakfast and a generous fry- up breakfast buffet available the next morning for those who paid.
Bedrooms- me and my partner stayed in a standard room with a double bed. The bed was small for a double, and extremely creaky during the night! couldn't move an elbow during the night without waking up the neighbours, nevermind any more movements!
Room very dated, but had a kettle with teabags and sugar etc and a TV which was good. Door didn't fully open as it got stuck next to the bed, so you couldn't eave the room unless you walked around the bed first which was awkward, and highlights the small size of the room...
Bathroom very big however (disproportionate to small room) and powerful shower- yay!
Overall- for £75, it was a bit small but comfortable and good simple facilities.
Perfect as a stopover base for weddings!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 20Ruby94
Reviewed 26 August 2018

Me and my husband stayed here for one night for our friends wedding. I booked a superior room and to be honest both me and my husband felt the same yes the room was clean but it was a little tired and no way should have been called a superior room. The day before we travelled to the hotel I rang to arrange prosseco to be put in our room for our arrival this was not done. I then asked when i realised they hadnt done this if they could send it up but by the time we left our room to attend wedding at 6pm it still hadnt arrived. The staff were apologetic about this and we did recieve some discount thank you for that.
Now onto the positives the wedding we attending was fantastic the ceremony room was beautiful and everything went without a hitch, food provided was a bbq and it was delicious. Staff were helpful and friendly even booking us a taxi back to the train station on check out. Breakfast was a buffet it was tasty and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted.
I would stay here again if i was in the area.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a three course meal here. The starters were lovely.
We had the carvery but the parsnips were tasteless, maybe not the right time of year ? The cauliflower cheese was old and we couldn’t eat it.
Desert was nice, ice cream was a safe bet.
Not the best , sorry to say as staff were lovely and helpful .

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Ashwin R, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review . Our Sunday carvery reviews are very good and my apologies that you didn't find some parts of the meal to your satisfaction. I will pass the your comments onto the Kitchen team.

I hope you visit us again soon.

Regards

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Chartridge Lodge in the middle of July as a single female guest. On arrival (at about 9.10pm) I asked if I could get any food but was told by the receptionist that the kitchen closed at 9 and if I wanted anything to eat I'd have to order from Just Eats!!!

The I was given was not in the main hotel but across the courtyard in a separate cottage.  I found that the walk between the two was really nerve racking as a lone guest and did not feel it was appropriate for me to be over there alone.  My room was spacious but the furniture and decor has definitely seen better days.  There are 3 boilers/emersion heaters in the bathroom and as a result the room was uncomfortable hot.  Even when I turned the fan on it was turned off by the housekeeping staff, although it didn't make that much difference when it was on.  Breakfast on day one was buffet style but on the second day was a la carte and you could hear the breakfast staff bellowing orders to the chef which I didn't appreciate.  Overall the hotel is tired and dated and the staff didn't seem to enjoy working there.  The gardens at the back of the hotel seem to be well maintained but at the front and especially around the cottage they are overgrown, dreary and ignored.  I need to visit the area frequently for my job but I won't be staying again.  Could do better doesn't really cover how bad it is.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Ashwin R, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Dear honestfoodcritic1672

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Some areas of the hotel need refurbishing and the gardens due to the really hot weather we were having have not looked their best. Our reviews are generally very good and I am sorry that you will not visit us again.

Regards