3,137 results
All reviews bungalow section el benny poutine el fuerte tropical rooms pirate bar main beach swim up bar hour bar star resort a la cartes lobster large resort pasta pork flea market low season
Reviewed 29 July 2018

Yes another review, I like to try to do as many in different months to give people an idea of low/high season. A lot may seem repetitive, but I guess I am trying to get my point across to tour operators and taking ownership of what they advertise. This June trip was great, very unusually hot for this time of year but for me it was what I love. Again everything advertised by tour operators not open. This has nothing to do with the hotel, it is normal to have less things open during low season due to occupancy. The resort was mainly quiet, filling up more on the weekend. Even with the weekend crowd it was wonderful. Guests were as usual from around the world, Canada, Cuba, Russia, UK, South America to name a few.

Staff as always do their utmost best with what they have, what is open depends on occupancy. Only one buffet open in main hotel, a lot of complaints again about that. Three A La Cartes, one opened later in my stay (El Fuerte) . In low season it is usually Espada and El Benny. The Guardalavaca (oldest part) is still undergoing renovation; but the rooms are going to be spectacular. My room was once again great, everything worked. I stayed in Villa and Elizabeth did an amazing job as always. A La cartes are improving with each trip. Great food, amazing plating for what they have to work with. The effort they put into it is very apparent. Fine dining and the portions are just enough. 24 hrs for breakfast is my go to place, eggs anyway you want, bacon, omelets, yogurt, pancakes, fruit. All served to you at your table. No need to stand in line at buffet and all comes with an amazing ocean view. Beach is spectacular, clear blue water, white sand and local bars ready to serve you if you do not want to trudge up the stairs to the hotel for a drink. Not part of the AI but very inexpensive beer and drinks is enough for many who do not to want to move out of their beach chairs.

All in all this trip was like going home again but some complaints I heard
Only thing they ran out of was plastic cups, which made things hard on staff. But no fault of the hotel.

If you are a vegetarian or have allergies, please do not blame hotel for not getting what you need. In the main buffet they have a salad bar set off to the side. They are trying. But….. some tourists are just basically ignorant. Using own utensils from a plate filled with meat to dig into salads ect. Cannot fault the hotel for this. Use caution if you are coming with extreme allergies, the hotel cannot and does not promise certain food safety concerns. If your tour operator tells you otherwise they are outright lying.

One buffet open at main hotel= many complaints. Get there early during opening times. The warming tables still do not work properly and I heard some complaining of the cold food. I do not eat in there often; but when I do I go early. And please take only what you need. The amount of food wasted is a crime. It can feed many families anywhere for a month.

New lobby bar is amazing and staff are going out of their way to make it that way. But: it is extremely hot in there. A few strategically placed fans would do wonders. There was a Russian couple I was speaking with in there and they were so upset. It was one of their favorite places to sit; but they actually got sick from the heat every time and had to move on after 15 mins or so. It is also very very difficult on the staff. Big smiles though even if they are working under extreme conditions.

Lack of draft beer. Well this is pet peeve of mine (And I am not a beer drinker) as well since they stopped having draft in the swim up bar in main hotel and old lobby bar. Makes no sense. All it is doing is putting staff and customers at risk of wet floors in the lobby and the snack bar by the pool. People go to the snack bar to get beer right from the pool. It is a safety hazard. This trip, the draft in that snack bar, the Santa Maria broke one day. So the only place to get was new lobby bar (that was close). So you can imagine soaking wet people coming out of the pool all the way to the front of the hotel (pool in in the back). It is such a poor management decision to remove beer from the swim up. .I have heard all the excuses from management and I am sorry none make sense. The safety of your customers and staff should be your priority and the set up now is reflecting that it is not. Even the signs that say “do not pass wet” are gone. I am sorry but water, stone/ceramic tiles and restaurants/lobby are not safe. Put back the signs, get the draft available so people do not have to go into the snack bar and especially the lobby. Even on the Villa side for the 24hrs. Put back the signs and make them bigger. There is no reason whatsoever to put staff and customers at risk by taking down these signs. Put up BIG signs and let the staff enforce it. Something so simple should not take years to fix.

All in all this is my home away from home so I do love going as often as I can. Go with an open mind for a 2.5 rated and you will be pleasantly surprised. The staff are amazing, the food is great and the rooms although some are dated are clean. So many repeaters, we can’t all be wrong! It is a great hotel for the budget minded, from my first trip 14 years ago there is no other place I would go.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
10  Thank Bookend_mac
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

We knew this hotel is a 3 star rated so were not expecting the world.But we would expect manners and customer service after all we did pay for the stay and the all inclusive package.I had already read that the receptionists were not exceptionally nice but thought ill see for myself.As soon as we booked in we knew this to be true.On numerous ocasions we were ignored and snapped at as if we were an incovenience.Only two out of the many reception staff were helpful n that was booking in and booking out!
The lobby staff were absolutly great alberto n crew were so nice and helpful so tbh all our tips went to them.Great service and no ignorance plus interested in the fact we had birthdays at the time.The staff at the buffett were fine.The staff at snack bar well..depending on whether you were cuban or not was whether ypu got treat nicely or even served as ypu should have been.In the end we stopped going in there because there was no point queuing ppl just pushed up front and the staff were not interested.I didnt mind guest sneeking staff the odd drink but it appeared at the weekend very busy with families and kids then monday nothing .The food was not offered as what choice no menu.If you asked what they made they looked put out.We did get served by a lovely bloke with a pizza.Breakfast was the best meal in the snack bar.The sports/cocktail bar was freindly but didnt serve beer so you have to take it over from the snack bar.The bloke who looks after that bar was great!! Nicknamed my hubby "english boy" due to the world cup matches and always passed time of day in passing.Milta was the activity lady at the pool.She went out of her way from day one to help us and told us to find her if we needed anything.She was the one who helped us with advice regarding a rep.Which is mone excistant in this hotel for english and has been for last ten year.We had to go to the next hotel along brisas to speak to a thomas cook rep english.Who was no help at all told us to speak to the german one in our hotel.In the end we sorted our problem ourselves to our own cost! Be aware theres no rep for english here.The holiday sites do not tell you this.we got a private transfer and did not know the time of pick up we just wanted to know this info.In the end we found out ourselves and we also received a note two days before from the taxi firm.The transfer was on time and ok in the end.The cuban people are very disapointing in they do not wish to help you if you dont speak spanish and ok its not everyone there but the majority such a shame the attitude is we will have your money but dont want to give the hospitality.
The maid for our "villa" was lovely she was polite and thorough.We left her some items in thanx.The villa is really a one bedroom apartment with basic shower.The sink area is in the bedroom and the balcony had no sun what so ever.Disapointing and noisy people up and down the stairs in the block.Alot of the balconys in the villas are covered by trees which i find a bit strange.The beach was lovely and clean,close to the pool.Its a private small cove accross from the villas pool not the hotel main beach and pool.Top tip take a flask with you thet fill it with beer otherwise you get small plastic cups.We ventured out of the hotel once to the shops.Well three shops across the road one of which same as hotel shop.Which is itself good for beer and water for your room.And not dear.One of the staff in the hotel shop also couldnt appear more miserable.Shame.The internet connection is rubbish you have to go to the lobby to use it or use the computors upstairs outside dining room.The hotel has very poor information about.The internet is 1 cuc per hour scratch card.The food is not the best thats all i can say as you go with what they eat.We enjoyed the rest and the weather was lovely and hot.We changed our money in the hotel and only needed it gor tips we used our visa card in the shop.we did go on a horse and cart ride around the villlage the driver was lovely and gave us a running commentry.But we will not be returning to cuba we were not made to feel welcome which is a shame.Thanks to the few cubans who did though..

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sazzz33
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Very large resort. Went during their hotel anniversary so there was fun events going on almost all week. We booked our al la carte at the seafood and were told there are no extra costs at any of them except the beach one. Major incident at the al la carte seafood. We were not given a menu and were told about a few dishes being offered, one being lobster. We choose lobster and we’re not told this was extra. Ate our meal, got up to leave and as we walk out the door into the upstairs lobby this woman starts screaming at us that we owe money. I asked for what? She responded for the lobster. It was very confusing as I tried to explain that it wasn’t offered as extra. She continued yelling, threatening the arrest of us and calling the police. Security and others were standing around as this woman continued to yell, shaking a piece of paper in our faces, speaking half Spanish/English. Needless to say it was a little frustrating and frightening. She shoved the paper in my face continued to yell and when I moved her had out of my face asking her to explain in English with out yelling what the circumstances where she then started to yell that I hit her, and again to call the police. Thankfully other resort people stepped in to our rescue, and a different staff member explaining what was going on without the threat of police. If things were handled like the 2nd staff explaining the misunderstanding I’m sure things would not of got so escalated. Unfortunate and in the end I paid for terrible lobster. The resort itself is ok for the price. But warning to always clarify ahead if there are any extra cost.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank Expedition634027
Ricardo R, General Manager at Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Best Wishes from Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca:

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel as your holiday’s destination. It is truly gratifying to know that you enjoyed the activities offered for the anniversary of the hotel. It's a shame your opinion about the a la carte restaurant. The hotel management wants to clarify that none of our clients is threatened with the police by being arrested
The person who reserves the a la carte restaurants gives all the information to the clients regarding this and specifies that the lobster is not included in the hotel, also there is a big poster in front of La Langostada restaurant where this is informed. Thank you again for taking part of your time in giving us your comment We feel very sorry if there was a misunderstanding on your part. We are looking forward to see you in your next visit to Club Amigo

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Booked a last minute vacation with a friend through Sunwing. I had read previous reviews and upgraded to the Bungalow section right away. We arrived late and were given a room in this section but didn't like the view as it faced the road and the main resort. The next day we went and asked it they had a room facing the pool in this section and were given a beautiful room on the second floor for an additional 8 pesos. and was totally worth it as we pretty well had the pool to ourselves with a snack and drink bar. Gorgeous pool. As well, the nightly entertainment was in this section so a short 2 minute walk back to our room then everything was quiet for a good nights sleep. For a 3 star resort, the entertainment was 5 STAR. Tons of variety from first class breakdancers, a Vegas style show and synchronized swimming. Really impressed with the entertainment. The house bands prior to the shows every night were really good as well. We had breakfast in El Benny which faces the sea and is also an a la carte in the evening. They make great eggs and toast and the staff is wonderful. The food in Cuba has improved over the years and I am mostly vegetarian so a good selection. They don't have lettuce so no salads, but lots of beans and rice, chick peas and beets. A decent selection of meat if you want. Amazing ice cream. Go to Ashleys Café in the main building on the second floor for coffee and light music every night fro 4 to 6 pm. The main beach is great but it is public as well but lots of chairs and water was clear and no seaweed. Also went on a Catamaran with one of the guides and its free. Tip him, its worth it. In fact, tip well. One or two pesos goes a long way and a big smile is guaranteed. There are two other small beaches which are very private if you don't like crowds. The room was basic, however, the maids keep them very clean and are so so pleasant. My lady Yolaine was an absolute gem. Have fun.

Room Tip: Bungalow section, second floor overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank highgatelondon
Ricardo R, General Manager at Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Greetings from Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca:

We would like to thank you very much for choosing our Club Amigo for your vacation and for taking the time to share your experience. It very nice to know that you’ve had an unforgettable holiday with us. We really appreciate all your praises given to our services and staff. Thank you for sharing with the world because with your super nice comment you recommend us to our future clients. It is really gratifying to know that you enjoyed your holidays here in Guardalavaca your home away from home. Your positive comments encourage us to work hard and provide you with the best of the services.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

awesome beach with lots of fun things to do, hotel was full however that does not mean i deserved a very ugly room with stains everywhere and poor furniture, also while trying to get a beer at the only opened snack bar that was a real battle with looooong lines and drunk people everywhere, i was offered to change rooms but i declined, a hotel at the beach is meant to be very customer_happiness oriented , more snack bars should have been opened if your hotel is full, more care needs to be placed in room comfort, it was 100 dollars a night but felt like a 40 dollar place.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jorge R
Ricardo R, General Manager at Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

We would like to apologize if your stay in our hotel was not as satisfactory as you were expecting. We appreciate your review and we really sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced. All your comments have been shared with the management. It is a pleasure to inform you that in our resort there are four different sections which differ in prices and characteristics. If you like to change your room from one section to another one just contact the reception staff and they will inform you all regarding this. In our Club Amigo there are different snack bars, where you can enjoy and have beers and different drinks. Sorry if you were not completely satisfied, please return to our resort, contact hotel Management and for sure you will be totally satisfied. Give us another opportunity with your visit.