6,325 results
All reviews french restaurant colon buffet la nina fish white night a la carte restaurants snack bar water ballet beach restaurant beach disco horse riding calamari beautiful beach thomas cook two weeks mini zoo great holiday
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Just got back from this resort. I am glad I took a friends recommendation before looking on here at reviews. I don't understand all the negative reviews, they certainly do not match my experience.

Yes the rooms are a bit dated and may not match what you would get from a 4 star Canadian hotel, but to me the room wass just a place to sleep and shower, and it was more than adequate. It was clean, all the appliances and fixtures worked.

All the staff I dealt with were very friendly (shout outs to Yanelis at the Colon buffet restaurant, Arelis our maid on the 2nd floor Mares side and the gentleman who fetched me the beach chairs each morning).

The food was good (unfortunately we never got around to booking the A La Carte). My one suggestion would be to have the A la Carte menus available in multiple locations throughout the resort. The bars and coffee bar were excellent.

The beach was my primary reason for going to Cuba and it did not disappoint. Next year I hope to get out on one of the catamarans, the water last week was a bit too rough for me to try it this year.

Already counting the days until I can return next year.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
11  Thank Steve R
Lina C, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Steve R

Many thanks for your review and the advices to the readers. We do agree with you. Who do wants to stay at the rooms with that amazing beach outside. We lament you missed the opportunity to enjoy restaurants. Remember you can book them at Luna Side, for getting an extra one you may go at 2:30 PM.

Please feel free to contact us before your arrival next year

Best wishes.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Stayed March 17-24, family with 2 kids.

Every hotel starts with the reception, and I have to say - SRLM admin employees did not disappoint. I've made requests through Transat, Expedia (where I booked), and personally via hotel email to give us a room in Luna's on the 2nd floor, and we did get what I asked for. Besides, they did give us late check out as my son needed his nap, and we were scheduled to leave at 4 pm, even though they were expecting a large group to check in and initially refused. So huge thanks to ladies at the front desk!!

The room was not ideal but clean and with high ceiling. Partial ocean view certainly added joy to our stay. Everything was functioning well overall, yet toilet required some extra effort to flush. I did not complain, but our maid called the plumber to fix it on day 2 or 3. Great job taking initiative in customer care, right?
Here and there throughout the hotel there was something that needs to be fixed but give people some credit, as they do their best to maintain everything in humid climate, and remember the lack of the recourses and overall quality of living.

We didn't dine at any restaurants. Travelling with toddler you're lucky if you can grab any meal.... We were invited to VIP dinner for returning guests which was a delight in terms of music, but lobster was average as the rest of the meal. My husband had chicken which he liked very much though. Buffet was OK. Breakfast was really limited in good options (I don't eat chocolate donuts or any other sweet stuff), yet lunches and dinners were fine - you can always make your salad and get a good piece of grilled meat/fish. Especially great roasted dishes for dinner each day. Long lines to cooking stations, as mentioned a hundred times before. What did disappoint was the absence of a good porridge and the density of soups - I had to let my kids eat pasta and cheap cereal everyday. Yet there was always amazing Cuban cheese and good bread (it's called organic in North America). If you don't know how to survive in a Cuban buffet, you're a softie :)

The beach is a-w-e-s-o-m-e! Snorkel on the right side, take long walks, dive for sand dollars. Plenty of shade, though you do have to get up early to get the guy bring your sunbeds to the spot you prefer. Or you can get whatever is left if you're not picky.
It was windy at first with some waves, then we did get 3 mornings of ideally calm shallow water. Then the ocean got too wavy for kids for the last two days, and water was a bit cold to my liking, yet those who enjoy playing with waves were happy. We usually go to the Caribbean in May-June, so we'll definitely come back to SRLM again in hopes of more calm days.

There's kids club which we didn't use as it was on the other side of the hotel, but I saw kids on some sort of a treasure hunt. Mini disco was dull as there were not that many kids at that time, but the guy who does the mini-disco deserves a thumbs up for enthusiasm! Also have to mention their ice-cream, pure delight! Freshly harvested bananas and papayas is something you don't want to miss either. Great coffee in Mares. White show on Friday was interesting, and aqua ballet was great. Only Michael Jackson's tributes are so stock in the Caribbean, wish they could open up to new music.

I went to the trail in a botanical reserve on a hill nearby for 3CUC, did expect more views, but there's a lot to see - plants, lizards, butterflies... take your kids for a little discovery walk! 7 or older, youngsters will whine as there's some climbing involved.

We did get 2-3 mosquito bites but only at night, no suckers of any kind to report during the day.

I'm bad with names, so I'll just say in hopes hotel personnel does get to know what we say here - THANK YOU ALL for your hard work to make our stay so pleasant!

Stayed: March 2018
6  Thank Marina M

Dear Marina M

Thank you so much for sharing your opinions. It is great that you had received positive things from the staff for spending a super amazing holiday with us. That is the best reward we might have! We are thinking in introduce a different touch to the VIP Lobster meal.
It will be a pleasure to have you again with us.
Looking forward to seeing you,

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Very friendly and supportive staff, old hotel. It is very nice place. Up on the cliff so, walking down to the beach means many stairs or long ramp. But, once you are on the beach you love it and don't really like to back during the day. There is restaurant for lunch and two bars. Rooms are the reminder of previous glory, if you know what I mean. Badly in need of renovation however, everything works and staff is very kind and helpful is it doesn't :). We stayed in 1000 section, close to everything but, a little bit noisy at night. They offered us another room in quiet section of hotel and we appreciated it very much. Food is good, drinks OK but not for 4*. Would we go back? I think not, just because there is many choices for the same price range on beautiful Cuba!

Stayed: February 2018
3  Thank krys-canada
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We were there over Easter. The beach was really nice but it was so windy and wavy that my son could not enjoy the water at the beach. The pools were really nice and we did like the kids pool they had beside the main pools. The food was good for Cuba food but the line ups for the hot food stations were insane and you couldn't get to the regular buffet stuff as the lines were blocking them. A dining room update and rearrange is needed bad. The view from the buffet and two sea side restaurants was great.
We were first put on the Luna side in block 8000, this is an insane walk. We were then moved to the 1000 block which was much better. However the AC didn't work, the TV has no channels, the old bedays in the bathrooms were gross and always smelt like pee. The hotel was clean but in need of repair badly. Overall we were just satisfied with the hotel, not overly excited and to be honest we won't be returning. We much rather enjoy somewhere like cayo Coco with a shorter bus ride and calmer beaches.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank traveller-teri
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

First if all this is one of the best beaches I've ever been to. However the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. It is such a shame as it could be wonderful. The staff are lovely and all work extremely hard, the food isn't bad either. The trouble is that the hote obviously hasn't spent any money in years on repairs or maintenance.
In the room none of the cupboard doors closed properly. They either stuck or in the case of the TV cabinet (which had no shelf or bottom) swung wide open all the time.
The shower head position could not be adjusted so the water hit the opposite wall and flooded the bathroom and the on/off lever came off in your hand. This meant you could only have hand-held showers for the whole of your holiday.
Around the pools, tiles and concrete were broken so you really had to watch your footing so you didn't trip. And handrails were loose and wobbly everywhere.
People say you have to make excuses as it is Cuba, but in England this hotel would be closed on health and safety grounds.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wendy-from-Kent
Lina C, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Wendy-from-Kent

Thank you very much for posting your criticism in this Webside

We are pleased to know thatyou liked the beach asthe most beautiful you have seen

It is a pity that you had not informed us during your stay you were not satisfied with the rooms standards.

We are planning a ambitious process of reforms of our facilities with the objective of improving our image and continue in the preference of our guest.

I will be happy to welcome you in our Hotel.

Best regards