Hi. My partner and I (both early 30s) stayed at Sol Rio De Luna y Mares June 2011 for 2 weeks. All in all it is better than average resort. I have travelled a fair amount of times so I'll judge taking in account it is Cuba (do not expect to get the same star rating as in the US or UK). I am not going to repeat what everyone else has said re the interior etc. so I'll write my pros and cons.
Pros: great location - beautiful beach (BTW the next door hotel - PRDO is totally overrated, the beach is horrible, you can't even walk normally let alone swim); big resort which gives you more opportunities to do things and you don't feel like you are stuck there; good choice of bars and drinks; few water sport activities; some excellent excursions i.e. Island Paradise, mangrove fishing - we loved it, dolphins if you haven't done that before. And you can drink 24 hours a day – bars are open (SALUT!!!).
Cons: the food - disappointing in sense of it was all cold, uncovered (insects and birds - yuck!) and had VERY long queues however the choice was quite good; rooms a bit outdated but not a major tragedy as everything works and if not they fix it straight away. Entertainment was poor but I haven't been to a single hotel (hopefully just yet) that actually had good entertainment unless you are an older couple or a child; disco party on the beach (once a week) was nice and good fun but exactly the same as the previous week. A la carte restaurants – I personally didn’t find it amazing like someone said here or even great if I am honest. It was OK.
Tipping: do not know nor understand why people on here make such a big fuss out of it but we haven't experienced better or worse service if tipped or not. We did tip almost every time (not £10 notes but a peso or two) as the staff were generally nice and attentive so why not.
All in all it is worth a visit but DO take extra cash with you to go on the trips as they were amazing and don't be a scrooge - tip the guys a bit, they really do appreciate it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four -Star All Inclusive Resort with 464 rooms. Located beachfront in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province, where visitors will be amazed by the dazzling superposition of blues and greens from the sea, sky and costal shrubbery. This hotel complex is surrounded by extensive green areas and offers a wide variety of services and attractions. Recommended for families, weddings, honeymoons and tourist groups.Guest Rooms464 rooms: 308 Standard, 108 Standard Ocean View, 30 Standard Superior Ocean View, 6 Junior Suite, 4 Suite, 8 Family Suite Ocean ViewDining7 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 6 Bars ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia Hotels APAC so you can book your Sol Rio de Luna y Mares reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Hotel Guardalavaca
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Resort