All reviewsplaya blancasanta luciasmall resortwater shoeshorseback ridinghorse and buggysnack barfriesfree bicyclesfishocean viewresort beachcuban guestsother resortspizzachristopher columbuscarriage ride
Reviewed 26 February 2018

It was my fourth time in Don Lino resort. This time I came for 4 weeks and expected to be placed in room confirming with the Sunwing standard. The room I received was sub-standard, but I thought that it was the best possibility after recent hurricane. Later speaking with other guests and visiting their rooms I discovered that other people were given much better accommodations. Just to mention main issues:
No light at the entrance, not all lights were working in the room;
Only one key to the room. Every time I had to wait while room cleaning was done;
Sink was clogged. It took 20-30 min to drain;
Bathtab had a lot of black mold around edges;
In-room safe was not working;
Mini-fridge was missing;
Control for an air-conditioner was missing and the only way to operate it was by messing up with fuses;
TV control was missing. TV did not have any channels with international news (e.g. CNN)

To summarize: this room should be fixed before anybody was placed there.
Unfortunately resort management is not ashamed in putting guests in such rooms and waiting for people to complain before room is changed.

Room Tip: Check the room before moving in. If you don't like the room immediately complain.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
4  Thank marstr2018
Reviewed 20 February 2018

I stayed at the Don Lino for a week from February 9th to the 16th, The weather was beautiful each and everyday we woke up with the sun shining and the rooster cooing! I read all of the reviews and looked at all the pictures before going to the Don Lino and knew exactly what to expect - which wasn't much.

You get exactly what you pay for and the price can't be beat! The resort itself is so much fun. There is a lot of older people at the resort along with some young families. The Hotel staff are mostly friendly and willing to accommodate your every need. There are a few of the front desk ladies who I found could be a little more welcoming. The bar staff are wonderful, friendly and fun and easy to engage with. The daytime entertainment is so much fun I would highly recommend taking a look at the schedule posted in the lobby by the bar - there is Spanish lessons, horse back riding excursions, dance lessons, stretching, beach volley ball ect. Lots of fun to be had!! There is also lots of stuff to see and do off the resort. You MUST go to the Play Blanca beach which is 1km or 10 minute walk from the resort - I rode bikes, walked and also took a horse and buggy ride there. It is a beautiful beach that you can walk in with a nice sandy bottom which makes up for the rocks and such at the beach at the Don Lino. You can also take the horse and buggy or a taxi to the town of Santa Lucia which was so much fun!! and can also connect to Wi-Fi there as there is none at the resort - it was nice to get off the grid completely for the week personally.

I booked with Sunwing and booked the Cuban cigar excursion with my package which I would NOT recommend. I found the experience to be very rushed and more catered to the tour guide then to me or my family. I did however book a taxi tour with a Will-I-am (William..) who was recommended by Tony (who is in charge of the entertainment at the resort) and he was wonderful. Takes you everywhere and anywhere you want to go. He took us to a delicious traditional Cuban restaurant in the town of Santa Lucia which was such a nice experience.

As for the resort itself - Please read you're welcome package in the room. This was my first trip ever and I had no idea we should have a welcome package - there was NOT one in our room but the people we were traveling with had one in there's. It explains a lot about the hotel as well as how to request services with the Chambermaid's. The room we had was a new bungalow in room 1137 and 1138. The older bungalows were not so nice or well kept - they smelt moldy and were not very clean. The maids don't do a very extensive clean while you are there - I found they made the bed (they only change the sheet on request), changed the garbage and replaced the towels (sometimes). I didn't go in with high expectation so this was fine with me.

The food is exactly what you see In the pictures posted here. It is not anything special. Breakfast they had the option of omelets or pancakes along with meatballs or beans or lentils along with some other things that changed a little from day to day. The fruit was papaya and oranges and watermelon which were not very flavorful. I would absolutely advise to bring you PEPPER!!! they have no pepper. And we brought hot sauce which took us to a whole new love for the food ;)

The a la carte's are again nothing special. You do not need to dress up for these... the seafood one is much better then their other option. They serve lobster on Friday's with a plated meal that comes with a course of soup (fish broth and chunks) and a salad and then the main and dessert. Other nights its menu you can choose from. The other one near the pool was not very good. The service was very slow as I think she was going to the snack bar for everything. I ordered a filet minong and I got cut up beef chunks lol Also bring your own wine if you are a wine drinker... the wine is terrible.

My overall stay at the Don Lino was so relaxing and quiet with adventure filed in between.

Room Tip: request a newer bungalow and be aware the bungalows are not the beach front cottages you see in the pictures - they are the wooden rooms!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank jordanclayton12
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

I just returned from a week at the Don Lino Resort. I would first start out by saying you cannot expect more then what you paid for at any resort. This place was perfect for a quiet getaway. There is so much to do if you are an adventurous person. The staff are amazing and they make you feel very safe and at home when you are there. The food is meh.. I wasn't expecting great food so once again i didn't go in with high expectations and wasn't let down by it. Our room was great, it was one of the newer bungalows so we didn't have to many complaints about it. The cleanliness is fine, if you're a neat freak I don't know if you would be completely satisfied with it. It's important to read your welcome package which explains how you can communicate with the chamber maids. I just expected they would do things when really you have to leave a sign on your bed if you want fresh sheets and so on. All and all my week was amazing at the Don Lino and I will forsure be back.
Adios Mucachos.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
7  Thank sylvia h
Reviewed 4 February 2018

This property is a solid 2 star. Go with that expectation and an open mind and you will have a fine holiday. It is a small resort with few amenities. There are no other resorts nearby and it is set in farm country. To that, it has a quaint charm to it and we enjoyed that aspect. The food, drinks and staff for the most part were good. Albeit small, the buffet had enough choices to keep us fed all week. Due to the size of the resort, it is very repetitive though. Service at the snack bar in the beach bar was very hit and miss. We had a relaxing week for a good price, so that is all good. The only things I could complain about if I wanted were;

- We arrived at noon and could not get a key for our room until 4:00 PM.
- We had a couple small issues with the room such as the battery for the safe was dead and when turned off, the light fixtures in the room flickered all night. We asked to have these repaired but no one ever did all week. We ended up carrying our cash and passports with us everywhere all week.
- The walls in the wooden bungalows are paper this and you can hear your neighbors and smell their cigarette smoke in your room if they smoke in theirs.
- This is the first place I've been to anywhere that they do not supply bottled water in your room. You have to buy it from the Tienda. The week we were there, they didn't have any 1.5 litre bottles, just the small 500 ml bottles. We were able to have the bartender at the beach bar refill them for us daily though using the pop gun.
- Beach loungers are in very rough shape, broken pieces and sagging and torn fabric.

No other real complaints. As stated before, go with an open mind, don't let little things bother you and enjoy the quiet and peaceful vibe at this small 2 star if you can get it for a good price.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Siko
Reviewed 25 January 2018

I am absolutely disgusted and sick to my stomache. I have been trying to reach my parents who are currently staying at Don Lino who are regulars there a couple times a year. I am trying to get a hold of them due to a death in the family. When I call the reception answers and I will ask for someone that speaks English and she hangs up everytime, when I call back she just lets it ring or leaves it off the hook. You have got to be kidding me, this is an emergency and it's impossible for me to reach them. My parents are quite fond of this resort but knowing they can't be reached in an emergency will definitely cause them to not return. I am disgusted and in disbelief, I have no idea what to do. I do not recommend this resort to anyone that has loved ones back home.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple