1,079 results
All reviewsother guestsmacal rivernight hikeon sitebird watchingfamily stylevaca fallshorseback ridingrope swingguided hikecommunal diningdeluxe cabinremote locationcanoe tripacross the riveratm cavedirt road
Reviewed 20 May 2018

We stayed there a week in of the hillside units. The lodge is located in the mountains at the end of a long dirt road which is easily drivable. Our unit had 2 queen beds with a nice deck and a view of the river. The units are rustic, but this is an eco lodge. Plan on eating most of your meals at the Lodge due to its remote location. Our unit had only one electric outlet so we used that for recharging our phones and Ipads. There is no AC so be prepared for the humidity and mid 90s temperature. We are from Florida so it was OK.
The staff was outstanding. The tour guides were the Best we have ever seen at any resort. Plan on spending $$ on several tours.
Take lots of bug spray. The no see ums will tear you up on the hikes if the wind dies down.
Lots and lots of birds. No need for a wake up call as the howler monkeys gave us a 10 minute discussion at about 4 am.
The site is an eco lodge with solar and mini water turbines so you are off the grid. They have internet at the dinner building.
Definitely should be added to your list of places to go.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed for three nights at Black Rock with another couple, in a riverview lodge (I think no. 17), with breakfast and dinner included.

The location of the lodge is perfect, and sitting in the main area watching the birds and the river is truly special. Our lodge was great, we had a large room, with a comfortable bed, shower (not great pressure although our friends said their shower was really powerful), a good amount of storage and space generally, and a large veranda with hammocks, and also a large water cooler which was really useful as it is a bit of an uphill walk via steps to the restaurant/bar area.

We did the tubing which was great fun, about a 30 minute walk there, and then about 30 mins coming back along the river, (you go over quite a few small rapids which are great), followed by a swim in the river, we all really enjoyed this

Breakfasts were good, as was dinner - you chose your meal during the day - meat or vegetarian choice - or they made me soup as I had not been well.

We were unsure about the family dining idea, but it worked very well. They kept us four together each night, and just added another - different each night - couple to our table. It worked well chatting with other people about their travels.

As mentioned above I was unwell on arrival at Black Rock - we believe that the water in Guatemala probably disagreed with me. Petra - the manager - indeed all the staff - could not have been more helpful, showing us how to contact them in the night if need be, making me soup instead of the regular meals.

They arranged to take me to the local private hospital - about 40 minute drive away each way, one of the guides stayed with me and my husband which we were there and brought us back to the lodge. I quickly recovered after some more effective medicine. (Cost about gbp 50 for the doctor and medicine)

Wifi worked well in the main area

We charged everything to our room while we were there and settled up with credit cards when we left

We would love to come back here some day and take part in some of the activities we were unable to do, and would have no hesitation in recommending Black Rock Lodge to others.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2018

BRL is a nice, quiet, remote ecolodge on the Macal River. We stayed 5 nights there. Downside is that internet is very spotty and doesn’t work at cabins and sometimes doesn’t work unless you are near router in the office. Guides are very experienced (best birders in Belize) and professional. Food is excellent. However, Guatemalan border is very close (3 miles). Hence, if safety is a concern, find a lodge closer to San Ignacio or stay in San Ignacio where there is police station. Cell service does not work at BRL and cabins have no deadbolts. It was not clear to me if anyone on staff carried weapons nor whether there were nighttime patrols or how often they occured if they existed. I would suggest they explain their policies with security to new guests given the history of the lodge. Also, there are highly dangerous venomous pit vipers (which was outside a cabin while we were there) and big cats but this is what a jungle experience is about, so if you are okay with those risks, this will be a nice stay for you. Also, there is NO A/C and you will be woken up by birds and monkeys every morning unless you stay in a cabin near the rapids.

Room Tip: Near the rapids, cabins 14-15, etc.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KABda
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

It was our first time visiting this establishment and I must say I was really impressed with everything it was worth every inch.. driving there is a bit out of distance from the town but once we got there we didn't wana leave.. many big thanks to the general manager Petro and Elijio who assisted us in our every need. The wait staff very nice and pleasant and accomidating definitely going to return soon and recommend this place to my family and friends

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2018

We stayed for 4 nights in March. We have nothing but the highest praise to all at this lodge--restaurant staff, trail guides, support staff and importantly the site manager (Petro)--who went out of their way to make sure every one of our requests--vegetarian diet, dining time, frequent change of plans, choice of time for trails etc--are taken care of with smile! Even when there was an inadvertent goof up, they handled it very professionally and found the best solution immediately. The lodge is located absolutely gorgeous and quiet setting. We saw a lot families with young children too. We only wish we stayed longer.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple