“Modest accommodations but outstanding service”
Review of Hotel Cerro Lodge

Hotel Cerro Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tarcoles
Reviewed 12 November 2017

The rooms were clean but small and sparse and easily attracted a lot of bugs on the walls and floors, especially with the adjoining bathroom that had one side open to the outdoors (you definitely have to keep the bathroom door closed!). However, what the place lacked in luxury and charm, they quickly made up for in hospitality. The staff are incredibly friendly and hard-working and even though several of them did not speak English, they still regularly went out of their way to ensure we were enjoying our stay. One of the groundskeepers noticed that we were walking around with binoculars and doing some birdwatching so he took time out to walk us over to an area where he pointed out several owls that were sleeping under the leaves in various banana trees. We never would have spotted these without him. At one point in the dining hall we were watching a large, iridescent bug fly around and trying to figure out what it was. The cook came out and caught it for us so we could get a closer view of it. Although there was a set menu at mealtimes, the cook would go out of his way to make you something different if you requested it. He worked hard to ensure you had everything you needed and were satisfied with your meal. Although there was not a lot of variety from day to day, the food was very good. The receptionist helped to arrange a few local birding tours for us. Her communication was good, including instructions of where to meet our guides and we were happy with each of the tours. The gorgeous macaws that would come in to the hotel feeders and trees daily were also a huge hit. If you are looking for a relaxing, luxurious get-away and will be spending most of your time at the hotel or in the room, this may not be the place for you. However, if you mainly need a reasonably priced place to eat and sleep while you are in the area, I highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 October 2017

I can't recommend Cerro Lodge highly enough. From the food to the accommodation, the unbeatable access to the wildlife and most of all, the excellent customer service.

I stayed here for three nights as part of an organised horse riding tour, and after suffering an unfortunate accident the morning before we arrived at Cerro Lodge whilst horse riding which resulted in a nasty deep cut to my eyebrow (arranged separately and nothing to do with Cerro Lodge) I was rather panicked, and frightened, and in quite a bit of pain, having not received any medical treatment. However, once arriving at the lodge, I was immediately exceptionally well looked after by the staff, in particular the wonderful Angeline, who manages the front desk.

It's safe to say Angeline went over and above her call of duty to look after guests. From finding a medically-trained guest straight away to come and check me over, to arranging transportation to the hospital 45 minutes away in the very late evening, accompanying me to and from A&E and staying all night at the Lodge in case I needed further assistance, Angeline was absolutely fantastic. My fellow travelers and I were so, so impressed by her professionalism and her dedication to customer service - she genuinely cared about me and wanted to make sure I was okay at all times. Nothing was too much trouble for Angeline and as a result, I was able to relax after what was a rather scary experience, so far from home.

The entire team, headed up by January, is a credit to the owners of Cerro Lodge. Always smiling, always keen to make your stay comfortable and special, they are a lovely friendly bunch and you won't be disappointed if you choose to stay here. To sit and have my breakfast in front of a jaw-dropping view of the Costa Rican forest, with six noisy scarlet macaws munching away on fruit just metres away from me was one of the most special experiences of my life. On the final day, a group of Capuchin monkeys appeared in the trees too. Every morning, outside my accommodation, I was visited by a coati, scuttling up and down the coconut trees.

Cerro Lodge is a very special place indeed!

Room Tip: Close to the reception so you watch the wildlife that may suddenly appear in front of the reception...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Two nights here. It's a bit off the main road and, compared to most hotels, basic, but we found that endearing and so what if the room doesn't have a TV? You're here for the wonderful CR nature and Cerro Lodge is great for that. Food is basic but good. Staff friendly and helpful. Small swimming pool and wonder views. A few local treks from the lodge and loads of wildlife visiting the feeding tables each morning to delight the guests. Really nice place.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2017

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Cerro Lodge for 3 nights primarily for bird watching and especially to see wild scarlet macaws. After checking in and while walking to our room a lodge employee stopped us and told us there were macaws around the parking lot. We ran to the parking lot and macaws were feeding in almond trees around the parking lot. We couldn't believe it. We saw Macaws everyday as well as white throated magpie jays, wrens, tanagers, etc. The lodge was very well kept and very nice. We enjoyed the pool daily and we had a good view of the Pacific Ocean. The staff was small but very courteous and professional. I really liked the employees at the lodge. The rooms were very nice and the AC was very cold. The bathroom was huge and impressive. The food at the lodge was excellent and complimentary fresh juice and cold water was available. We walked to the crocodile bridge to view the crocs. Along the way was excellent birding. Leave the lodge and take a right. Road will take you to the croc bridge and the little gift shops around there. Walk takes about 40 minutes but if birding it will take you 3 hours. Lots of birds. I would stay there again and once again the people working there are really cool.

Room Tip: All rooms looked good to me.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twj2017
Reviewed 14 September 2017

As a nature-photographer we look for good opportunities.
There are a lot of macaws in the area and other birds. Boat tour is really a nice thing to do.
So for that is a great place to stay
About the lodge I have to say that it is not the best place.
On the website everything looks amazing but...
Breakfast is okey but not special, for dinner we go outside the lodge.
There is a really good restaurant La Ostra in 15 minutes ( direction Jaco )
Rooms are really small for 2 persons and the bathroom is open, so lots of bugs and other small animals came in. Staff is very friendly and helpful. No wifi in the rooms !?

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarcoles
5.7 km away
Barons Resort
#2 of 4 in Atenas
32.2 km away
Hotel Colinas del Sol

Been to Hotel Cerro Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK