“Charming restaurant”

Ranked #5 of 124 Restaurants in Newtown
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Newtown
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

That's a great place to eat in Newtown. It's a bit expensive but the food is great. It is Spanish style with tapas to share.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I couldn't fault the food. The menu was creative and provided excellent choices. This isn't a hippie vegan type diner that one would come to expect from King st. The food is exceptionally good. I found the prices reasonable given the quality. The chefs must have a serious pedigree to produce this kind of quality food. I'm from Melbourne and Bloodwood reminds me of the sort of restaurant along Flinders Lane where you'd spend huge dollars. It's a sharing dish style menu. The waiter recommended we chose about 4 to 5 dishes, depending on choice. It was plenty for 2 very hungry blokes. Very interesting beer list and a great choice of wines.

Bloodwood, Manager at Bloodwood Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Hi Paul,

Thank you for writing your review, we very pleased that you have enjoyed your experience with us!

We look forward to having you dine with us again the next time your in Sydney.

Bloodwood management

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Recommended by my friend Chino Banzon, Bloodwood was definitely the most interesting place I’ve tried during my trip to Sydney. Its limited seating capacity guarantees a 45 minute wait; which fortunately was worth it. Its dimly lit interiors, minimalist menu and extensive drinks list reminded me of Your Local. As its serving sizes lean on the smaller size, they advised us to order 3 to 4 dishes to fill up both our tummies. We started with the Polenta Chips (AUD 10) , served piping hot. Dip them in the light gorgonzola sauce it comes with and you’re solved. Its Chicken Liver Parfait (AUD 14) features a large scoop of chicken liver spread enough to share with a group. I love that it was served with warm and fluffy ciabatta bread (a whole stack of it, and yes, you can ask for more); and sweet earl grey infused fig preserves to temper the saltiness.

The Sticky Fried Basket (AUD 30) was visually overwhelming as heirloom carrots, enoki mushrooms, quinoa, and black seeds are artfully layered atop the chunks of beef brisket. This dish takes a while to prepare, but you’d understand why after your first bite. The beef is made so tender that it wonderfully melts in your mouth. Its Charred Lamb (AUD 24) showed more restraint by using significantly less ingredients. This allows one to fully appreciate the smoky flavor of the lamb pieces. Try to eat this dish right away though as the lamb gets tougher over time.

Hi Milcah,

Thank you for the review that you have written and thank you for waiting. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to having you dine with us again.

Daniel De Gabrielle

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Went her on the off chance on a Sunday for lunch, as I have been wanting to go for yonks. Wasn't disappointed. Food was outstanding. The best lunch I have had in Sydney for ages and really well priced too. Well done Bloodwood team . I will be back!

Bloodwood, Manager at Bloodwood Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you for writing your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us.
We look forward to having you dine with us again!

Daniel De Gabrielle

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Booked here a few years for my wife's Bday and loved the food, back in Sydney again, it won't disappoint, try the trifle

Bloodwood, Manager at Bloodwood Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hi Deyvis,

Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you dine with us the next time you in town.

Cheers,