“Great Food, Great Vibe”

Saint Crispin
Ranked #3 of 135 Restaurants in Collingwood
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in a former cobbler’s workshop originally built in 1865, Saint Crispin is in the heart of Collingwood. Saint Crispin is Scott Pickett’s second of four eating establishments. As well as Saint Crispin, Scott also owns Northcote’s two-hatted Estelle by Scott Pickett (ESP), Estelle Bistro and Pickett’s Deli & Rotisserie at Melbourne’s iconic The Queen Victoria Market. Scott Pickett is the essence of Australian hospitality. His generosity of spirit and abundant personality is at the core of his establishments. His understanding of seasonality and respect for Australian growers and producers is testament to his origins.
Reviewed 26 June 2018

The two of us went here on a very quiet midweek dinner. Our first impressions were that this is a great space with a casual vibe, something that was reinforced through the very enjoyable meal.

Choosing a selection from their a la carte menu, our dishes included the eel ‘churros’, pork jowl, quail, sweet potatoes and Spanish mackerel. All of the food was testy and well seasoned and made for a nice progression over the meal.

Extra kudos to our pal Aaron who was both personable and very knowledgeable, as were the rest of the staff who really seem to enjoy being there. Even learned a little bit about the local spirits scene which was a nice touch.

If you are looking for well made, tasty food in a relaxed setting you can’t go wrong with this special place.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

The Good

- Wine matching worth it. Better than the food
- Atmosphere is friendly

The Bad

- The best dish was a starter and the rest was forgettable. There was fish and that’s about all I can remember
- The food was good but not worth the money arguably in Smith st.

The Ugly

- Upselling. You’re paying $170 each for the meal so being upsold truffle shavings mid meal is a bit tacky.

1  Thank BenjaminJohnston
Reviewed 22 May 2018

I have been meaning to get to this restaurant since its opening, after interestingly reading that the place is named after the patron saint of shoes, since the store used to be a cobbler's. Since I live in the south-east, there wasn't a good opportunity to get to this place, until I had a chance appointment in Fitzroy, which finished early. 90 minutes prior to end of service, I was greeted by a friendly waiter and promptly seated. Without fail, I chose the degustation. I was delighted with the simple yet flavourful 7 course lunch including jerusalem artichoke, perfectly cooked fish dishes, pork belly, lamb, and desserts. Waiters were attentive with service, regularly topping up water, clearing plates and promptly replacing cutlery. Thrilled I was in finally getting to experience this place, highly recommended.

Reviewed 3 May 2018

I loved that part of the kitchen was an open one. It gave us the opportunity to see the plating process and the interaction between the chef and his team.

The food? Pretty good. We had the 7 course tasting menu, and everything was quite exquisite in flavor (The barramundi fish is a must!). Bad thing? The plates were way to big for a tasting menu...None of us could enjoy the desserts because we were full!

About service... Everyone was really nice, but there was this guy (i think the manager maybe) who was so pending/attentive on what was going on with our table, that it made me feel a bit uncomfortable. He was literally cleaning my plates a couple seconds i finished any plate and bringing everything so fast, asking every 5 minutes about everything, that we weren't able to sit, enjoy and talk during dinner...

Nobody was rude, but really, that kind of service could be overwhelming.

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had dinner to Saint Crispin and it was absolutely delicious! Every meal was just perfectly balanced, with such a beautiful presentation and were delicious. The service was also excellent, we had such a lovely night! I will definitely come back next time I’m in Melbourne!!!