“Good Experience with Low Expectations”
Review of Sol Caribe Campo

Sol Caribe Campo
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in San Luis
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Sol Caribe Campo is not my first choice of hotels in San Andres but I would go back now that I know what to expect. To it's credit, it is very family oriented.

Location:
The location is away from the center of San Andres so it's pretty quiet with great views. There is a shuttle that will take you into town if you are interested. The hotel has approximately 200 rooms. It definitely didn't seem like it was at capacity while I was there. I saw most of the people when it was time to line up for the shuttle to the beach.

Rooms:
The room I stayed in was old but clean. It had a cabin feel. As I walked past other rooms some appeared to be more updated and I did notice work being done on rooms so it's possible that I was in an older section which was close to the main lobby and had a smaller pool. (That smaller pool came in handy when we didn't want to walk the stairs to the bigger, newer pool.) The rooms had hot water (most of the time) and AC. The walls seem incredibly thin. We could hear everything going on outside our room including conversations of our neighbor.

Hotel
The property is a good size. There are A LOT of stairs. Did I say a lot of stairs? There are a lot of stairs. LOL. I counted more than 100 from the new larger pool to the lobby. This place is not recommended for anyone who cannot climb up and down stairs.
The New, Larger Pool is awesome. The water slide is a favorite.

Food is OK. It's buffet. The snacks (hot dogs, arepas, sandwiches, salchicon, potatoes) could be improved. But people do eat it. At other all inclusive resorts I feel like there is always food available. I did not feel that way at Sol Caribe Campo. If you missed the allocated times for breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner you were out of luck. Overall food just didn't seem plentiful like at other all inclusive hotels or cruise ships. My husband and children preferred the food at Coco Plum. For a short stay the food is fine. I would get tired of it after a few days.
Bar drinks are a little weak. Served in paper cups but with a smile. It didn't seem like the bar was always open or had a large selection of beverages.
There always seemed to be a lot of flies around the food which can be typical in the Caribbean.

Amenities
The shuttle to the beach could be improved with more frequent service. We waited more than 30 minutes for the bus to the beach which after we realized is walking distance away. They served some food and drink in the hotel's designated section of the beach. The section is on Coco Plum beach where you can see/walk to Rocky Cay. The beach appears to be managed by different properties (Decameron, Coco Plum, Sol Caribe, etc). They also have chairs and tents to shield you from the sun/occasional rain.
Excursions are available for purchase at the hotel as well as car rentals on the property.
Staff is good. Not very friendly but not rude. There was a time that they sat amongst themselves and chatted for quite awhile. I am not used to that. Typically the staff at all inclusive hotels are constantly trying to engage the guests. It was fine that they were not like that at Sol Caribe Campo, it's just not what I'm accustomed to experiencing.
There is entertainment during dinner. There seemed to be a party each night.
The hotel may not offer the level of service you are used to if you are a frequent traveler or visitor of all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. My husband compared it to a lower end hotel mostly because of the condition of the room.
It's definitely helpful if you speak Spanish. There were not many English speakers on staff.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room close to the lobby on the bottom level if you have trouble climbing s...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Kyona W

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Reading other reviews helped me arrive in San Andres with the right perspective. If one were coming expecting the type of high end beach resorts I have experienced in Mexico, it would have been a disappointment. But going here after living in Medellin almost two years, I had determined it would be similar to a simpler, finca-style kind of place. And indeed it was. But with a 4-night stay, all-inclusive package including alcoholic beverages- and jet fare from Medellin for about $550 (US), I was very happy. Nothing spectacular about the food, but all very tasty and satisfying. Two nice swimming pools and shuttle bus to private beach. Air conditioning in rooms. Went with three other women, led by a dual citizen Colombian/US friend who helped us get to know other vacationers from all over South America and generated good service from the staff. A few negatives: lots of steps to get to and from pools and dining areas. The Island itself is in great need of improvement. Locals complain that tourism taxes gathered before boarding the plane to go to San Andres, do not seem to reach them.

Room Tip: Close to either one of the two pools/dining rooms. Best pool only served lunch while we were there.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Janet O
Reviewed 15 June 2017

Well I saw a lot of negative reviews so I was not sure to book but I'm glad that I did. The food was ok, and plenty. The show at night was not to be missed and the cocktails were good and the service was all with a smile, honestly. The only minus is that there are a lot of staires but there is a bus service ... tumbs up from me! The rooms of some part of the hotel are being renovated but airco was new and also the bathroom everything was crips and shiny.Of course this is not a 4 start hotel and you cannot expect more for the buck in San Andres.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank PeterHenderickx
Reviewed 26 May 2017

This Hotel is one of the biggest hotels in San Andres, is very well located the rooms are really clean, the food is amazing they offer a huge buffet with different king of choices at the time of eating.
The service is perfect the employees are really professional and they really take care of the guest since the time of the arrival.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2017

I wanted to spend 11 days on this island, after the first day I was sure to shorten up this vacation. In the end I staid 5 nights in "Sol Caribe Campo" and one night in "Cocoplum".

Sol Caribe Campo is an All inklusive Hotel and reminded me to former days before the year 2000 where I did some All Inklusive holidays as well. When you arrive to the Hotel the staff at the reception (which is never ever smiling and actually not very friendly) gives you a orange plastic wristband, which you have to wear during your whole stay.
The Hotel Area is extremely big, with many many houses and many rooms.
When we arrived to our first room, I couldn't believe my eyes. The floor was wet, there was not water running out of the shower and the smell in there was really weird, not speaking of all the hair on the floor and the bed.
We managed to get another room that night, the room itself was a tiny little bit better but there where so many different kinds of hair in the bathroom (long, short, brown, black, blonde), you couldn't open the bathroom door to the fullest, and it was super small.
In our bed where as well many many and many different kind of hair, which couldn't have been from the cleaning lady herself (not only).

The next day we managed to change the room again, but we could never get rid of all the hair. We called the reception and told them about that problem, we even talked to the cleaning lady and asked her why?, but they don't seem to take that issue serious.

In general, I got the feeling that in this hotel its all about mass and not about quality. The cleaning stuff doesn't take their job seriously and really doesn't know how to clean a toilet, a shower, a bed or a floor.

If you go to that hotel, be sure you can cope with all that stuff.

Every day from 21:00 - 23:00 there is super loud Music, cause a DJ is playing (EDM, HOUSE, HIP HOP etc) and that extremely loud, so you can't even hear your own TV in your room.

In the morning the super loud Pool Animation Program starts, where a Lady is shouting in a Micro. But from 23:00 - 07:00 you will be able to sleep.

The Food:
If you think you go to the Caribbean to have some healthy Food and nice fruits, you are wrong. All they offer is Fast Food, Fried Food and some rice. Very simple Buffet with a view fruits, but the presentation of the food is poor.
I lost more than 3 kilos in that 5 days in that hotel, so it was actually good for me that the food was so disgusting there.

I could keep on writing and writing about my worst hotel experience ever, but I think I've made my point.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
5.5 km away
Hotel Lord Pierre
Hotel Lord Pierre
#25 of 43 in San Andres Island

Been to Sol Caribe Campo? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK