See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Recently ate at the Bistro of the Excelsior and must admit was pleasantly surprised.
I'm originally from the area, and this hotel certainly had a checkered past. My how things have changed. The food was your normal bistro fare with a few different specials, but the food was good and the service matched. It's a far cry from the pub of my youth. I would be more than happy to return.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2016

I have stayed at the Excelsior on quite a few occasions and will be continuing to do so. It is budget price accommodation, its simple and does the job and the rooms are as good as the cheap cost to stay there. I have always found the staff to be very helpful and friendly and the check in at the Lounge Bar is very easy. If you wish to check out early before the Lounge Bar opens at 10am then you just leave the room keys on the bed and close the door behind you....too easy!!
On one occasion I booked online but then had to change the date that I would be staying, because I booked it online it made it a bit more difficult to change. Anyway long story short Michelle and Gerard could not of been more genuine great people and were also so helpful & friendly and they definitely made me feel very important and got everything sorted. Thanks guys and see you all next time I stay.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2016

Definitely not worth $ 95.00 per night, smashed and broken air conditioner, thankfully not required !
Bathroom repairs to a very poor state, my children could have done a better job with silicon gun in the shower ! !
Complimentary breakfast in a box received at check in ! !

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2016

This is a very cheap motel located behind the Excelsior pub, bistro and gaming facility. I would not recommend this place to anyone. It is cheap and has had a very poor attempt at a renovation done on it.

Our room didn't have teaspoons or a bathmat. The air-condition didn't work properly and the slats above the window had been nailed shut but there had been no attempt to add noise reduction. As a result, we heard all the traffic, the drunks, the weather and even the birds perched in the trees outside our window. And the free wifi didn't work.

And don't try to check out earlier then 10am. Because all reception is done at the bar in the gambling area, it doesn't open until 10am. So there were 3 other people besides myself all waiting for the bar to open so we could check out, 1 couple had been waiting since 9am.

The only positives were the staff were friendly and the breakfast box they provided at check-in (as there is no breakfast available).

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2016

Having read the previous reviews I must agree with them all with the exception of the reports suggesting that the place is desirable. The accommodation is old and the rooms [identical floor plan] require a major renovation.

$105.00 per night could never be justified; even in Melbourne.

The fact that the room has no ventilation at all is the major problem, the bathroom has no exhaust fan or window access. The bedroom windows are fixed and unable to allow the entry of fresh air, once the entry door is closed you are restricted to the air within the room.

The afternoon of our arrival was 'hot' that resulted in extreme heat within the room, the older style aircon was unable to cope and the room became a sauna.

We found the bed quite comfortable and the general conduct of the patrons was not a problem.

There is no washing facility, a necessity when travelling for lengthy periods as we do.

Room Tip: sleep in the car
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business