Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 December 2019

I really enjoyed my time at Khaama Kethna. A place with a rustic flare in the midst of the jungle. The hut i stayed in was basic and clean, i loved the outdoor shower! If you are looking for a real nature experience, a place where you forget about the daily busy life and an opportunity, to spend some quiet time, thats the place to go to. It is rare to find places like that, where the 'back to nature'-experience has priority and where you are given an opportunity to put your electrical devices aside and just listen to the sounds of the jungle.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 30 November 2019

I stayed for a week and was sorry that I couldn't stay longer. Khaama Kethna was my last port of call before returning to Europe. I am a life long meat eater but I found the vegetarian food delicious and satisfying fare. As a consequence I now eat vegetarian several days of each week. This was a real back to nature/back to basics experience. The hut I had as my room for the week was basic but clean. The outdoor toilet and shower served it's purpose. Showering in cold water is actually very refreshing and I started to really enjoy the experience after a few days. I was living in the jungle. Lot's of strange noises at night and you need to come prepared for the insects. Having said that I was quite happy in my mosquito net for sleeping and dozing. Yoga sessions were very well run but testing at times for me. You will meet a very mixed bag of people here, both guests and staff. This is not a hotel. This is an experience. The food, the eclectic mix of people, the jungle environment and the long periods of quiet combined to make me start to question the non-stop/materialistic life that I normally lead. My short stay made me realise that i can live quite happily without technology, television and busyness.
For anyone thinking of going the "back to basics" nature of Khaama Kethna is an essential part of the experience. If you are looking for comfort and mod-cons this is not for you. If you have a spirit of curiosity and adventure go for it.

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed 28 April 2019

Whilst in a jungle environment you expect bugs and critters in your room but not an infestation of fleas in the restaurant and bed which we can only presume are from the cats and dogs that roam around the site.
Water for showering etc was intermittent, on one occasion we were without water for 36 hours which was unacceptable in the extreme heat during April.
Electricity was also intermittent, with regular powercuts.
Rooms are not cleaned daily as specified,but every four days. The toiletries which are supposed to be complimentary consistent of a mini guest bar of soap.
Ours was actually used complete with pubic hair but you can ask for a new bar!!
We anticipated a variety of toiletries which were Eco friendly as we were in the jungle but this was not available.
Drinking water was also supposed to be available in the rooms but again we had to wait 2 days before it arrived!
Basic cleanliness and upkeep is greatly lacking, the walks overgrown and an uncomfortable atmosphere in the restaurant area.
Food acceptable but I did find a hair in my breakfast!
Plan B's need to be implemented ie a generator or solar energy for the frequent power cuts and water brought in prior to guests arriving.
Poor management and all in all a poor show all round.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline N
Reviewed 26 November 2018

Lots of places say that they offer intrepid travelers rustic, offbeat, eco-friendly nature stays but in our experience, most of them come equipped with all the amenities to make sure you don't miss any of the trappings of urban city life. Khaama Khetna is completely different.

When they say they are an offbeat stay that offers a one-with-nature living experience and simple, home-cooked vegetarian meals, they mean it. The place is hidden away from the main street and beach of Agonda, a good 10-12 minute scooter ride away. If you choose to walk, it will be an uphill one through forest-lined paths.

The amenities are basic and clean as is the food - simple, delicious fare. There's no network availability and even the WiFi at the reception area is patchy. We stayed for one night here before moving to beach huts.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2018

Categorized as an eco-retreat, but more like a low budget nature camp. The main gathering space seems to be given the most attention, regarding cleanliness and physical upkeep. It acts as the center of operation where check-in happens and where guest gather for healthy drinks and good vegan meals. There are several sleeping "camps" that are distributed on the site, some better maintained than others. The structures are simply constructed with woven mat walls. Beds are bad. Some camps are built as tree houses and very rudimentary. Bathrooms are open-air, furnished with squat toilets and basic flush toilets. Several of the encampments on site are derelict and the nature trail is overgrown. Staff were friendly. Yoga was good. A general feeling of aloofness permeated throughout. Upkeep is desperately needed and the compound severely lacks attention to detail. This retreat center is inattentive and offers a drop-out experience rather than a tuning in. Overall, lazy operation with mediocre management. They need to step up their offering.

Room tip: Don't expect much.
Date of stay: October 2018