Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from US$ 36.00
from US$ 82.00
from US$ 60.00
More Info
All reviews machu picchu cable car mountain top takes hours take your time northern part guided tour chachapoyas backpackers main entrance impressive ruins interesting history great site interesting place hour bus ride walk up spectacular views well worth the visit
Reviewed 1 April 2018

What an experience! The Incas ruled Peru for a very short time and there are many other ruins that are pre-Inca. This is one of them and what a site it is! We rode the cable car across a deep valley to another mountain to start the walk to the Keulap fortress at the top of the mountain. There are horses and donkeys to hire for those who want the adventure or who may not be able to make the steep hike. They are led by the guides on a separate trail from the main hiking trail. The trail is well maintained and much updated from pictures I have looked at from the past. The hike was not too hard and you could take your time. Guides were available and we arranged one who explained all to us. Very good English and told us all about everything we passed. There is an excellent museum just where the hike starts - don't miss it. The architecture, engineering and views and incredible. It's not called the Machu Picchu of the north for nothing!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

The Kuelap Fortress is breath taking! When you look at the engineering that went into building it, how they maintained it, the daily city operation and its location, it is far superior than anything in Europe and I am guessing it at least rivals anything in Middle East and Asia. I was happy to see it before it becomes a big tourist attraction.

I was very fortunate to have booked with Amazon Expedition! They were great! While I was waiting in their office, they treat everybody the same, you matter to them! You have their full attention and not a number.

I was the only English speaking person on the tour, our guide Eogardo made sure that I did not miss anything. He is very passionate about their culture and is extremely knowledgeable. It is unbelievable how much information you are told.
Overall, this is a first rate tour.

A bonus, when booking this tour, you are not getting just one, but actually three if you keep your eyes open and cameras ready. The other two tours are your trip to get their and them coming back (yes back, you see the land from a different perspective).

The only advice I have to give, 1) have a good camera, it is worth the money for the views you will see, 2) make sure you have a rain gear, you are up in the clouds (over 3100m above sea level) and you may get some rain 3) footwear, wear something that will keep your feet dry (not rubber boots) and you do not mind getting dirty/muddy, and 4) bring and drink water (2L).

Reviewed 21 March 2018

This shouldn't be missed - hire a reputable tour guide and you're on your way! As the "second" Manchu Picchu it was a beautiful experience. The cable car rid through the valley and up 10000 feet was spectacular. You can use horses to get to the fort. However, I strongly recommend just walking. Its worth it. The fortress is under construction/revitalization, so please be mindful of this. If you use your imagination you can clearly see and connect to this ancient city. What a gem. At the end, you can purchase some great gifts at the local price (at the exit point for the cable car). Take your time, relax and enjoy. NOTE: Please bring a poncho and wear waterproof shoes. It rains heavily and you want to remain dry.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

We did a guided tour thru our hotel. The guide tho was a local from Kuelap and hired there. He was very friendly and explained everything so good to us. We went early to beet the bigger tourist groups which was perfect. It’s an easy walk up to the ruins, oder people have possibilities to sit every few hundred meters underneath a sunroof.
We loved the ruins. They are so nice and have so much history!

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Maybe not as impressive as Machu Pichu, but interesting indeed... The question being if it better to visit it before or after Machu Pichu? I do not know... But I think, maybe not at all if you haven't done, been or seen the rest of the world... I have done so... So, it was interesting for me to see it as well... As it was to visit Sarcofagos de Karajia, Revash Mausoleo de los Chachapoyas and some other places near by...