“Mr Godfrey”

The Horseshoe Inn
Ranked #13 of 27 Restaurants in Alsager
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Country Pub and Dining. Serving fresh homemade food served daily. We also have kids outside play area.
Reviewed 21 August 2021

Just moved into the area (this would have been my local) ordered 2 pints of lager and asked the gentleman behind the bar if he wouldn’t mind topping up my pint (my dads lager had 10mm head, mine had 40mm) barman took umbrage and made it clear he wasn’t happy. Didn’t like his attitude so I decided to take my business to the Wilbraham arms around the corner. Had a good few drinks and spent £100. What a shame. Bad attitude has lost him a decent spending customer.

Date of visit: August 2021
2  Thank B2784UYlukeg
Write a reviewReviews (341)

Reviewed 16 August 2021

This was a quiet Monday lunchtime, we were a party of four.
There is a good menu, but no daytime specials. The service was good, but the food was disappointing.
Chicken goujons were too-heavily battered, as was the cod, the ham (ham, eggs and chips) was scrappy, but the soup was lovely.
Drinks were ordered and although the colas were on draft they were not chilled and they were flat. When paying £5.20 for two colas we were expecting an apology and a refund, but the waitress tried to explain that this was normal, but agreed that she would expect a ‘can of coke’ to be fizzy and cold, and she couldn’t ask the manager as he was not on site.
Lunch for four was £77, which would have been reasonable had the food and drinks been to a higher standard. Fortunately there are plenty of restaurant choices in Alsager and surrounding areas, so we won’t to hurrying back to see if things have improved at The Horseshoe.

Date of visit: August 2021
Reviewed 29 July 2021

We visit this family pub a lot as it has a good out door space for all my children but especially my disabled son to run around. We have spoke to the owner many times as he has his own son wondering around the pub and outside area a lot with his mum or dad. My 5 year old was coming out of the toilet when she started to scream, at first I could understand why but when she pointed to the rail heater in the bathroom and showed me her arm, I realised she had burnt to on it. I touched the rail myself and my god was it hot even for an adult it was burning hot. I put my daughters arm under cold water and then went to speak to the staff. The first young waitress came which she was horrified and said I’ll get it turned off. The head lady of the waiting staff said to my partner it’s nothing to do with me speak to ant. Which we did. Ant give us some ice and cloth and said I’ll get some stuff out of the first aid in the kitchen. He came to us and said sorry we have ran out. He said the plumber had been that morning and must off left the heater on. We asked to speak to the owner and we were told he was a sleep. 20 mins later still no apology from the owner I went in to find him , where he was playing on his phone in the corner. I told him what had happened and he just didn’t care to which I gave him what for. He didn’t care about my little girls arm. I know accidents happen and all I wanted was for him to come to us and apologise and see how she was.
We decided to stay away for 3/4 weeks but felt why should we miss out. We got served by ant who asked how our girl was but then were refused another drink as the owner had seen us and told ant not to serve us. (Apparently somebody had complained to Heineken and that why we were refuse to be served which laughable)

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank P2288FDemmah
Reviewed 23 July 2021

Positives would be that this is a lovely looking traditional pub with a fantastic outdoor play area for children. Swings, slides, horses and birds - this makes for a really enjoyable experience as a family because the children are entertained.

The menu and food is ok but in my opinion it could be more exciting. Having eaten a couple of times I have often felt underwhelmed. The service inside the restaurant is very good but when we have dined outside we have often felt forgotten about or that service is slow.

Bar could also benefit from selling peanuts!

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 23 July 2021 via mobile

Right, this pub is beautiful and the food isn’t bad, But the last two occasions I’ve been here my problems I’ve found are the staff. The more senior bloke behind the bar serving I guess late 40’s is the most charmless person I’ve ever met. Now barmen are supposed to be characteristic and charm full but this guys approach to serving customers without a smile is horrendous. Now, you’d think maybe it’s a one off but no! The more senior lady who occasionally serves is just as bad. The pair of them cannot serve customers, they look like they don’t want to be there. More staff training is needed!

Date of visit: June 2021