4,123 results
All reviews grand paradise animation team main buffet a la carte restaurants mikiki johnson palm trees other resorts recommend this resort samana airport seafood main pool select club ping pong water aerobics beach restaurant great vacation buffet restaurant
Reviewed 27 April 2018

Hello all for those who give this resort a bad review Need to travel more. This resort isn't a Sandles resort then again we didn't pay Sandles prices. The resort was clean, food was very good no line ups any time of the day in the buffet or beach restaurant. Rooms were keep clean had no issues with hot water for showers, We were in Building 5 This resort for the most part was quite. Weekends were different Dominican locals came in some of them were great others I won't say no more read between the lines. The Buffet Staff were great they did there best to make us feel welcome English wasn't the best then again our Spanish was even worse lol One thing I was very Disappointed with The Entertainment staff only socialized with the French in our two weeks at this Place not once did they even try to have conversion with English speaking Canadians. All our years traveling south never have I seen any resort staff snub English speaking Canadians. Overal this resort is a good one !!!!!! Ps This resort lacks shade at all the pools and the beach lots of loungers at all the swim areas

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank gary b
samuelvasquez2017, Manager at Grand Paradise Samana, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay in our property. It is pleasant to know that you have had a delightful stay and that you have enjoyed your time with our friendly staff.
We look forward to seeing you again on our property.
Best regards.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

We just returned with a group of 19 people – 12 adults, 7 kids – and we all had a wonderful time.

We booked through Air Transat, and we were lucky our plane took off during the Ontario ice storm! Trust me when I say, we were thrilled with so many cancellations that day.

Prior to arrival, our group booked a private transfer through Transat. It was a smaller bus, and was perfect size for our group. They had a cooler of large beers waiting for us ($5 each, but they were about 750ml, so reasonable). Also free water and some soda for the kids. The drive is approx. 1hr and 40 minutes direct. It’s the last stop of the resorts, so it’s probably a 2 hour transfer if you are on the general bus.

We arrived at the resort and were immediately taken to the Select Club and received an awesome welcome, cocktails and drinks for the kids, and a nice selection of snack foods – something for everyone.

I will add the Select Club is definitely the way to go. It’s a minor upgrade and it gives you access to everything – wifi, unlimited reservations, all pools, bars, room safe, etc. Definitely worthwhile!

Check-in was smooth, and everybody was happy with our rooms. The villas are quite dated, but that didn’t bother any of us, and they are huge, so the space was perfect for those of us travelling with families. My kids loved the upstairs loft, and there is also a small kitchenette area, and a large closet opposite the bathroom (it’s so big actually, one of the couples travelling with a baby ended up putting the crib in there and using it as the baby’s room).

We had two sets of grandparents with us and they had ocean view rooms were thrilled. Their rooms were very nice, updated, and the view was unbelievable. If you are a couple, or a family of four, and prefer an updated room, this would work. However, we much preferred the space over the upgrades for our family.

The resort is small and authentic and was just perfect for our group. We never had to fight over a chair, and we were able to get a dinner reservation for our entire group of 19 every single night.

Though it’s small, there are still three pools, and the beach is absolutely gorgeous and perfect for kids. We loved how lush and green everything was. Samana is gorgeous, very mountainous and lush and green and tropical. We were all blown away by the beauty and it was so nice not being stuck in a row of resort after resort. The area is very low key, and unassuming and friendly. This is exactly what we were after – we’ve done a fair share of travelling, and we did not want a shiny, new, grand, resort with lineups and fights for beach chairs. We like small, authentic, uncrowded experiences and this resort delivered for us.

The resort is definitely not a five star, so I won’t rate it as such. I think the four star rating here is worthy – it’s clean, and lovely, we enjoyed the food, and thoroughly enjoyed our time. I would recommend this resort to anybody who prefers the convenience of an all-inclusive but doesn’t like troves of tourists and shiny marble resorts. It was absolutely perfect for our group!

There’s a small town nearby, it’s about a 10 minute walk down the beach. We did this a couple times. The walk is beautiful along the beach, and while there isn’t much to see in town, it’s friendly and a great spot to grab some regular souvenirs, some ice cream and a beer.

The majority of the staff don’t speak English. We read this before going, and it didn’t bother us at all. In fact, it added to our enjoyment, and the authenticity of our getaway.

The beach aerobics are super fun! Our group did it every day, mostly because it was such a blast, not because we were actually looking for a workout.

The shows are meh, but we did catch a few. The kids liked them. The Fire Show is worth catching and they do it poolside.

The kids club is lacking, but my kids still played there for over two hours, because it had games and colouring, etc. I had to drag them out of there.

The food was enjoyable. We did the seafood twice, the Italian, the Japanese (a must! This was our best meal and it was so much fun). The other nights we did a buffet. I was impressed that we were able to get our group reservations together every day, and never had to wake up early and rush to get one. We booked when we thought about it, and never had an issue. The times we ate in the buffet were on our arrival day, and a day we had an excursion (we booked a private party boat tour through Tour Samana with Terry – I will do a separate review, but highly, highly recommend!). Even when we ate in the buffet, they never had an issue seating us all together.

All in all, I have to say, we enjoyed this experience immensely. It was exactly what we were looking for and I give our personal experience five stars, especially given the prices we paid. I’ll give the review four stars, based on the fact that it isn’t a five star resort, and I am aware of that. But I think based on what you pay for this resort, it exceeds expectations. Between the location, and setup, and the villas, etc. a few upgrades would probably make this quite an exclusive resort.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Select Club, it's worthwhile.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank Jami M
samuelvasquez2017, Manager at Grand Paradise Samana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Hello,
We look forward to seeing you again on our property.
Best regards.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

My friend wants me to give a bad review,But we did not find anything bad about.Everything was good.
The only thing that we did not like the time it takes to get there,the plane took 1hr to long,the bus to get there 2:20,the plane going home over 1hr. late we got our seats put lost them they gave us other seats but we lost them on the plane,only to stand there and wait to see if they had 2 MP.seats when loaded luck they had.

We didn't find to many English speaking people there.
Lots of kids there. We will never go AIR TRANSET again.

One more thing you have to pay to get the key to the safe cost 30.00 U.S.two weeks

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shippyCanada

Dear guest,
On behalf of Grand Paradise Samana, we sincerely appreciate your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Thank you for your wonderful comments and for spending your holidays with us. Your comment is very important to us as it encourage us to improve what we do and to do a better job.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

this trip i worried about thinking it would not be good but surprise it was fantastic!!!!! i go away to many places but this was one of my best! i have been everywhere in dominican i wish i woulda gone to samana first. weather was fabulous beach like a postcard. blue water white sand yes certain days seaweedy but it raines at nite but sunny days.you are on a beautiful bay surrounded by hills small mountains. pools 3 of them kids pool never was a shortage of chairs anywhere big property.sometimes hard to find shade but you will. people staff so friendly every problem solved right then there. i want to thank bosses SAMUAL AND JUAN CARLOS who bent over backwards to please us! your hospitality was appreciated. SERGIO AND RUTH for waiting on us in the buffet best ones there. excursions were amazing . we went on boat ride to national park in ocean to 57 islands very long enjoyable ride. saw where indians lived in caves painting the walls before being extinct. mangroves batcaves very interesting going in caves. then to levantado beach on one of 10 best islands. then we went on another excursion riding dune buggies up in mountain. it was so fun. you went on roads where no one goes seeing how the people live who have nothing. children running up to us for coca cola candy it melts t your heart to see them smile waving at ya!!! they have nothing.then we drove to RICON BEACH which i thought was so beautiful more than LEVANTADO . it was in a bay and we swam for hours and from there went to a river swam there clear blue like a pool! the excursions include a very nice lunch too!! at GRAND PARADISE where we were you can walk 10 minutes to a downtown section where local people go small but along the way take your camera lotta good pics to take beaches boats people! thanks to EVAfor telling us and booking us where to go who was from CANADA the TRANSAT LADY!!!!!! already planning our next trip there cant wait loved it! but one thing that bothers me is why people dont tip the people are kind bend over backwards to please! if we can afford a trip whats a buck!!!!! also there are 2 alacarte restaurants only ITALIAN AND SEAFOOD JAPANESE BUT YOU PAY. but the buffet food best ever had in DOMINICAN my husband and i loved the food everynite like a theme nite grat cooks and the baker who baked the desserts fantastic! this is a nice relaxing quit place no partying loud noise here. so big of property easy to hide! did not care to much for nite entertainment kinda boring just so so needs some update and they are to late 9.45 pm. enjoyed the saxaphone player by the pool bar very talented.would have liked to see some entertaining on weekends by bar area to. so we played cards or also some craft tables there are no vendors on our beach there which was nice! all in all amazing trip yep guys im gong back loved it! if you want good rooms building 6 7 8 premium or a villa with upstairs loft bedrooms for kids! landscapes kept beautiful ponds fish turtles. all kinds activities volleyball game tables but they need some pool tables. saw many new things coming going as they are still refurbishing so its getting better for all! i hope i helped BYE

Stayed: April 2018
6  Thank Debra V

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

This was my first all inclusive vacation and I have to say, it was the best experience I have ever had in my life! I have zero complaints about my experience, everything was great: the staff were super friendly, food was amazing, and the beach was absolutely beautiful!

I noticed that there were a lot of families with kids and older couples who stayed at this resort. My friend and I are both in our early twenties and we had anticipated there to be more people around our age.

There are a lot of activities available on the resort so you won’t feel bored! I would also recommend checking out the excursions that they offer. My friend and I did the zip lining and waterfall excursion as well as the boogie cart excursion. Both are very worth the money! I highly recommend doing these two excursions!

I wish that they played more music throughout the resort like at the bars, restaurants, and on the beach because it was a little bit too quiet for me and also because I really enjoy listening to Spanish music. Other than that, I would definitely come back again!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Christine E
samuelvasquez2017, Manager at Grand Paradise Samana, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018