“Great Vacation”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Let me begin by saying that we at first book at the Riu in Ocho Rios, but decided on this resort instead since the pool looked better. After we booked at the GP, I started seeing a lot of negative reviews about the resort. I decided I wasn't changing the resort again and took what people said with a grain of salt and figured that you can't satisfy everyone. The resort is very large. We walked the resort and talked and took pictures along the way. The resort is suppose to be getting another 900-1000 more rooms. GP is already the largest resort on the island. The resort was clean, the room was clean, and staff was very friendly. When we arrived, our room wasn't ready, so they told us we can go and have lunch and enjoy the amenities and check back with them. When we returned, we were told the room was ready ( probably an hour later) and we were taken to Villa 11, which was a great location because it was right behind the lobby/restaurants and pool. The bellboy explained to us how to work the air condition since you have to leave a key in a slot on the wall by the door and if you open the patio door, it cuts off until the door is closed. The room was already cool-there was a key already in the slot. We didn't have to use the ceiling fan at all while were there as the room remained cold the whole trip. The refrigerator didn't get that cold, but that didn't matter to us because we didn't really drink anything while in the room, but the ice maker is not too far.

Food- The food was good. They made sure to have a variety of foods for different taste buds. They had a theme each night such as Mexican, Italian and American for dinner in the buffet restaurants. Breakfast has made to order eggs and different smoothies that are made on the spot. We only visited one of the specialty restaurants and the food was good, but the portion was smaller, but of course, you are more than welcomed to order more. One suggestion I do have is to have more of a selection of Jamaica food since we are in Jamaica. They had oxtails and rice and peas and curry chicken, but not every night as an option.

Entertainment- We went to the nightly shows that they had each night and found them to be good. They make sure to get the guests involved to make sure they are having a good time. On Tuesday, we were able to go with the entertainment team to Margaritaville to party/club with them and the locals at a 10.00 cover charge, but the ride there was free. There are different activities that are going on near the pool. They had a bonfire one night and had reggae bands a few nights with appetizers. The dance team would also teach you to dance.

We did 2 excursions while we were there. We purchased our excursions from the shop on the 1st floor on the Jamaica side near the lobby. We did the Negril shopping/Ricks Cafe for 12.00 trip. We were able to go to their stores and buy souvenirs. Ricks Cafe was nice, but we were there too long, IMO. It was a good experience to see people cliff dive into the water though. We also did Dunns Rivers Falls for 55.00.. That is a long trip to get there. They do get lunch at your expense for after the tour. The experience is a once in a lifetime experience for me. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. The climb to the top was a long ways, but a good experience. Make sure you have water shoes. I would suggest not to get any with velcro. My velcro kept coming a loose and my shoe kept sliding off and making it a bad experience for me. But I am glad I did it and have pictures to show. Take a waterproof camera. They change 25.00 there for one.

Overall- My husband and I are 32/33 w/ no children and overall enjoyed this trip. This was my husband's 2nd time in Jamaica, but 1st at this resort. The weather was nice, even though this is their rainy season. There was enough entertainment and things to do to keep you busy. If you take children, they have a lot of activities for the children and I was impressed that they tried to remember the children's names and parents names during the activities that they had for them. Get out and enjoy the island and remember that Jamaica is not a "rich" island. We were told that the average pay is around 55.00 a week in American money. If you go with an open mind you will enjoy your self. We also had no problems with the safe or any items being missing.

Room Tip: We had Villa 11, close to everything.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Anyel W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and I visited for our anniversary in April of 2011 and had the best time ever. We upgraded our room upon arrival and ended up with a top floor 1 bedroom suite with 2 balconies overlooking the ocean. So worth the upgrade (around $300 for the week). Start tipping when you arrive and you'll earn great service like we got..they called us Mr and Mrs VIP. We paid one guy at the front desk $5 per day to pick us up fresh local fruit from the town so each morning we had a big bag of sugarcane, coconuts, mangos, bananas, etc. We brought the coconuts to the bar and they sliced the top for us and we'd hydrate with fresh coconut water, and then fill them up with cocktails throughout the day! Make sure you buy big mugs/cups when you arrive and get those refilled all day so you dont have to keep visiting the bar and using their tiny cups.

The adult beach was our favorite....so chill, no kids, topless if you want. Manicurist visits the beach each day and will give you a pedicure in your lounge chair! We bought bottles of wine in the liquor store and drank them onthe beach a few days. We snorkeled too which was pretty amazing. We got body scrubs at the spa which were not so great but I prefer massages. Spa is very zen though! We LOVED the jerk chicken hut. I sometimes crave it at home- it was that good! All in all the food was average all- inclusive food which is why we had local fruit for breakfast, jerk chicken for lunch...and only had the resort food at night.

We went ziplining one day which was ok but it rained the whole time so it was difficult to even see the ziplining views with rain in your eyes! The guide was great though.

Each morning, I'd get my mug filled with coffee, use the wifi in the lobby for a bit, then relax on my balcony to the relaxing jamaican music coming from the pool area. The resort in generally quiet and peaceful which I loved.

All in all, just tip tip tip and you'll be taken care of and truly enjoy your stay at the Grand Palladium. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Upgrade for sure.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Deb B
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was my second time to Jamaica and decided to check out Montego Bay. This resort was absolutely amazing. Every resort has their good and bad. Good for me was the service, entertainment, pool and the a la carte restaurants. I must say that the Italian restaurant was the hardest to get in, they were always booked but we did our best to get in and it was really good. During breakfast they had mimosas which was nice. I've gone to many other resorts in the Caribbean and they never served mimosas. Most of the employees were nice some stood out more than others.

For the bad.. the beach was just awful. I did read reviews on the beach not being all that but I didn't think it was that bad. If your a beach person Montego Bay is not for you but if you do come just make sure you bring aqua shoes because theirs So many rocks and seaweed is just annoying.
The night club they have at the resort was alright.. I think they should play different music. At least some house or techno for a few would be nice.
As for activities they have a half day or whole day tour where you do margarita Ville for 2 hrs, shopping mall for 2 hrs n end in Ricks cafe to watch the sunset for 2 hrs. Margarita Ville was so beautiful especially the beach I didn't want to leave then again we were in Negril. Negril by far had the best beaches. Shopping mall was good but 1 Hr is enough. Ricks cafe was our highlight bc of the divers and the sunset. Now let me clarify something about Ricks cafe. If you do jump you are able to come up from the steps that they have. The guys that are yelling, asking for tips and try to make you swim another way DO NOT WORK there so please don't pay attention to them. Just act as if you don't understand what they are saying and keep it moving they can't do anything to you. Be smart and don't let them hustle you. I know this because they tried to hustle my friend but he ignored them.
Every Tuesday the resort promotes margarita Ville in montego Bay they provide you with a shuttle, honestly that one sucks and I do not recommend it , its a waste of time unless you have a big group then it might be fun.
If I go back to Jamaica I will be going to Negril. As for beaches Puntacana for me has the best one yet in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank drdidi
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This resort has things which range from excellent to execrable. On the plus side the buildings are beautiful and the rooms, especially the suites, we're the best we had on the island. After that it's pretty much downhill, we were unlucky enough to be there on a Saturday night when the beach party was pumping out noise at festival levels for hours. So to amuse a few dozen people on the beach you risk annoying the heck out of everybody else on site, because we could all hear it, management decision, I think they called it wrong. Bars? Not enough and the ones I found were c**p, and they don't serve cocktails in the buffet restaurants.
Ah, restaurants, yes, if you want to eat a la carte men have to wear trousers. Hello? Even at night the temperature is close to 90 degrees with high humidity to match. You think I'm going dress up in that? Of course if you do go to the buffet for dinner you'll find some of the worst stuff ever served to humans, I'd say more but just the memory makes me shudder. And served with wine so thin it was anorexic. Breakfast was passable, make sandwiches and keep 'em in your fridge for later!
And what's with the sheets? The bottom sheet did not reach to the end of the bed, so what's the point of that? The staff were OK but always seemed a little too busy, and a little cool by Jamaican standards.
The best thing about our visit was that it was only one night, I'm not sure I could have coped with more.

Room Tip: As far away from the centre as you can if you want to avoid the incessant noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank manofekent
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica.

All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

In reference the situation that you had with the noisy of the party on the beach, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you had with it.

Moreover, we are grateful for your comments regarding the the buildings and the rooms..

We are sorry you did not enjoy our meals. With 2 buffets offering different theme nights daily, 7 a ala carte restaurants we want to believe that there is adequate variety for everyone. We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

We invite you to visit in the near future to experience more that our Resort has to offer.
We look forward to hearing from you, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.
Thank you for having stayed with us.

Best Regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

Reviewed 27 May 2012

This was our first visit to Jamaica. My husband's daughter chose the Palladium for her wedding. The wedding was held on the beach and was beautiful. The resort itself was alittle worn looking. Everything we read about the rooms were correct. AC barely kept room cool. Refridgerator barely kept beverages cool. Also room was damp. The food was just ok but better in ala carte restaraunts. The main pool was huge and activity people made the area fun. The drinks were strong so no complaints there.Casino was a joke and nightly entertainment was just ok. Staff was helpful but not overly friendly. We stayed in building 11 (thank you Domenick). Our maid Sharon was wonderful. Very friendly and always had a smile on. Chris at the front desk was also very helpful. Overall not a bad place to stay but not 5 star.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank emwho
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Greetings! Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our staff as we work assiduously to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

We guarantee that all comments have been considered and forwarded to relevant departments to take measures.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us; if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Best Regards,

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accomodations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
36.7 km away
29.2 km away
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK