“I must have been lucky” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
minneapolis
“I must have been lucky”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Never seemed to have the kind of problems that some people have mentioned in other reviews. Our check in was quick and easy and stayed on the Jamaica side, villa 12 , 3rd floor, with a nice ocean view. The room was fine and after leaving a small tip everyday had no problems with towels or cleanliness of the room, we even had turn down service a few nights. Oddly enough the cleaning person ignored the tip on the first day and after catching up with her the next day, she noted she thought it was our $ and did not know it was intended for her:)
Had a little problem with keeping the electricity on ( with the resort's energy saving system), but called maintenance and they did a temporary fix which resulted in no other problems.
Being vegetarians that eat fish, we were able to find items that we could eat at the buffets and particularly enjoyed and appreciated the staff preparing some stir fry vegetables at the Friday night BBQ. There was difficulty getting into the a la carte restaurants, and after walking twice all the way to the Poseidon, was told that they were closed for a wedding or they had no tables because of another wedding, same at the Italian restaurant. I would suggest eating early at the a la carte restaurants . One thing that would have been nice is if they posted which a la carte restaurants were open/available which nights. Another opportunity for change is the buffets did not have any "non-diary creamer" packets for coffee, but these packets were available in the rooms. We ended up coming to the meals "packing" creamer packets... it became a joke:)
There should be a warning in the bathroom on how to deal with the shower, so it does not wet the bathroom floor.
We enjoyed my stay at the resort, loved the walking, the relaxed atmosphere, the entertainment and the helpful and pleasant staff.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view and quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank loydown
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review.

In reference the situation that you had with our “A la carte” restaurants, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with them. We have the system “first come first served” with no reservations, to offer more possibilities to our guests, when the restaurant is full we give a pager and we call as soon as a table is liberated, so the costumer is free to be at the bar, lobby or other places until a table is ready. Also the restaurants use to be full just during the peak hour, therefore, most part of the guests go dinner as soon as they arrive.

In addition, we update everyday in front desk, lobbies and restaurants the schedules of all restaurant.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable and the feed back we are receiving from most of our clients proves this. However we assure you that we will take very seriously each of the comments mentioned in order to improve our performance day after day.

Thank you for your attention.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,759)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Just got back from a 5 night stay at this resort. I was traveling with my best friend. We're both women in our early thirties and we both have had numerous experiences at all inclusive resorts previously. In the last year, I traveled to two Riu Palace all inclusives in Aruba and Riviera Maya.

We do not recommend this resort and I will never stay at a Fiesta-owned resort again.

We arrived at the property in mid afternoon and our room wasn't ready just yet. No problem -- we proceeded to have a long overdue lunch and our room was ready right after that. We were told there were no towels yet but that was no big deal at that point -- we planned on unpacking and relaxing before we got ready for dinner anyway. Several hours and three phone calls later, we still had no towels and had to make do with face and hand wipes to clean ourselves up for our first evening at the resort. When towels did show up, we did not receive a bath mat or wash cloths.

The room itself is a spacious, junior suite. There is a large, open jacuzzi tub between the bath area from the remainder of the room. This is probably a great feature for couples, but for two friends traveling together, it would have been nice to have a separation of the spaces for privacy when getting showered. This wasn't a big issue for us, but depending on with whom you are traveling, it may be good information to know in advance. The bed was pretty uncomfortable.

Housekeeping had the room cleaned every day before we came back from the pool, except for our last day. Evidently, housekeeping came while we were at dinner that evening, but instead of cleaning our room, they showed up to throw our towels on the floor instead of replacing them. We hung our towels up specifically because we were afraid that they would no-show. Another call to housekeeping to get clean towels...

The pool area is large and not overcrowded. There are plenty of spots whether you want to be in the sun or prefer the shade. I've been to resorts where you had to jockey for a great spot as early as 6am but there were always great places to set up regardless of when you arrived at the pool.

There is a large swim up bar which is unfortunately understaffed and pretty unfriendly, like the rest of the staff. We didn't notice a practically camouflaged tiki-style bar hidden in one of the aisles of lounge chairs until our last day. Given the very few people with drinks around the pool, I suspect we weren't the only ones who didn't notice this. There are no poolside waiters, either, which is something I would expect at a resort.

The beach is not very nice at all. For people who prefer lounging seaside as opposed to by the pool, I suspect you'll be disappointed. There are a lot of rocks in the water which prevented us from wanting to swim in the ocean. It could be pretty rough on your feet.

As for the meals... The food wasn't great. The buffets were perfunctory at best. The real problem with the food was that it was cold most of the time. The show cooking stations are your best bet but be prepared to wait. The staff at the buffets is horrible. Most of the time, we had finished our meal before we received our drink order which was typically coffee, beer, or wine. On a couple of occasions, we never received our drink order at all despite several polite reminders.

The service and food at the specialty restaurants was better. We did not dine at the buffets in the evening. It was nice that you do not need a reservation for the specialty restaurants. The food still wasn't fantastic though. I'd venture to say that if you spent money on those restaurants back where you live, you probably wouldn't return.

The staff generally treats you like you are a nuisance instead of a guest at the buffets and the bar areas. There are too few cocktail waitresses at the Infinity Bar (the main bar area in the evenings) and it can take quite a while to get a drink.

I had traveled to Jamaica previously and always recalled how warm and joyful the people are, which was totally opposite of my experience at this resort. At one point, my friend and I began to wonder what the problem was with the service (or lack thereof) that we were experiencing... Questions we pondered: Is it because we are two women traveling together? Do we look unfriendly? Is it because they think we're gay? (For gay travelers, my advice would be to take your chances at another hotel.) Is the staff just lazy and apathetic? It is ridiculous to have to wonder this when you're on a vacation!

The exception to this was Simone at the Miss Lou Cafe, which serves coffee drinks and petit fours, and desserts. She makes a great coffee drink and offers the service experience you would expect at a resort. We tipped her and thanked her on our last day.

The lack of management outside of the lobby area could have prevented some of this... I noticed we weren't the only ones who had problems getting service at the buffet and the bars and some additional staffing may help, but the attitude of the staff that was present was just terrible. I've never felt more unwelcome somewhere...

I enjoyed my recent Riu Palace stays much more than this and I'd recommend that chain over Fiesta after this experience. If you do book this trip, I hope you have a different experience than we did.

Room Tip: The resort is composed of multiple buildings with 3 floors each and no elevators. It is a very larg...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank red_x_oktober
Sydney, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet because I tend to ramble on and on. lol

Goods:
-The resort was beautiful.
-The large pool was very nice and it never felt crowded
-Always easy to get a chair at both beach and pool
-Food: Best that I have had at an all inclusive hands down! If you like to eat...go here!
-Maid service (building 11 - Dona Lee) She was absolutely amazing and truly exceeded our expectations.
-Snorkelling ---- AMAZING. First time I ever snorkeled and absolutely loved it. (go to the adults only beach to snorkel) You will not be dissapointed!
-Wedding: We went down for my sisters wedding and it was absolutely beautiful!!! Perfect day!!

Not-so-goods:
-Location: Found the location of the resort to be in the middle of no where. Took forever to do any excursions (If I were to go back I would stay in Negril)
-Beach: I couldn't decide whether to put this in good or not-so-good. You don't get the white sandy beaches but we knew this when booking. But the trade off is that you get amazing snorkelling
-Staff: Unfortunately I have to say that I found the service pretty terrible. There were a few waitresses and bartenders that were quite nice but overall the service was un-friendly and slow. We sometimes waited an hour for a drink at the infinity bar until we decided to just go get our drinks ourselves
-A/C: Yes...I know that this has been a common complaint and I rolled my eyes when I read this prior to the trip but.... the a/c really sucks in the rooms. It was not refreshing to say the least. And this combined with 3 days of rain made for a very damp stay. Money/clothes/bedsheets...everything literally felt wet.

Overall it truly is a beautiful hotel but I wouldn't stay here again. I stayed at the palladium in Punta Cana and would go back there in an instant. I really found the staff helped me form this decision. I love interacting with the people and just really missed the friendliness.

There was a group of 17 of us and although we made the best of it I know that many of us would not stay here again. I would rather go down to the Dominican Republic for sure.

I guess I didn't keep it very short after all. haha. But in saying all of this: Vacation is what you make of it so enjoy your time and everything with be Irie Mon! :)

Room Tip: The resort isn't quite as big as you would imagine so distance isn't a huge issue...but buil...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Laura C
Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

This resort was amazing. It is beautiful everywhere you go. The staff is fantastic, super friendly and very helpful. I tried several of their restaurants and they were all awesome! The food was soooo good! Loved their huge pool and the fact that the ocean was only a few steps away. It was beautiful!!!! Had a spa day it was so relaxing! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Darla M
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

The Truth about a place such as this is never really close to the surface. The reason most people never get this fact is mainly due to the staff there,they are the real reason anyone would wanna say something good about this place. The staff are amazing,however the whole other nine yards sucks.
The buildings aren't even five(5) years old and for most part looks a lot older than that. Imagine standing by a railing at a vast pool by an open air bar,and the railing is shaky yet the bar is open for kids as well as adults.
There are restaurants that you may make reservations for and turn up for dinner,only to find the restaurant is closed and nobody even bothers to notify you. I talked to the staff a lot and i have friends there and they are nothing more than SLAVES,,, working for less than $100us per week. How can a resort that advertises as a five (5) star one have so many failures and ongoing problems. The bars though having nice bartenders never have enough glasses to operate even at minimal occupancy levels. How do one explain having over a thousand rooms and so many restaurants and bars yet there are never enough materials for staff to deliver on GUEST expectations??.
Ask for a drink and you immediately know from experience that the liquers and rums are WATERED DOWN!!!! Sit at a bar and watch the bartender rush about getting glasses from trays and tables,trying to get you a glass for a soda. That same glass will be desperately needed to pour another drink for your friend sitting beside you. The pace is so frantic that the glasses aren't even washed properly and you'll more than likely find residue on the next drink.
I had the ''Horrifying'' experience of going for breakfast at the Main Restaurant ''NEGRIL BUFFET" and there was no EGGS!!! no BACON!!, no COFFEE, for crying out loud and NO MILK!! Now what do these people who gives the ratings for these places really know about them.
I spent two weeks there and i'd never return,it was the most terrible vacation i ever had. I had so many bad experiences,for eg. We made reservations for the seafood restaurant the Posiedon and when we got there at nine (9) pm,we found the restaurant closed. Not only were we upset but we had very dissapointed kids too. So we had to go to the buffet which had people standing in line for a table for over twenty(20) mins.
The problems this resort faces are evident yet it seems the management there either don't care or are not up to the task of running an establishment like this. We had to go nights without our Wash Rags"" and we were told by our housekeeper that there was none available at the laundry. The staff are constantly hurried and prodded in the view of guest by the management who seems lost in their ability to grasp the initiative and turn things around.
If you go to the Blue Lagoon,an open air restaurant,which usually serves breakfast and lunch occasionally,then be prepared to have bird droppings as part of your meals. If you leave your food at the table you'll find that you are actually sharing the meal with lots of Black Birds'' thats what the staff say they are called. At the other end of the property you'll have to share your meal with the resident cats that are always pulling at your leg.
We all tried hard to make the most of the situation but nobody should have to endure the misery we went through. The ice cream machines at the buffets were constantly out of service and we couldn't even get a muffin out for the little one when she was ill!!!!!
Of course reading this most people will probably think we are the exceptions to everything but the truth could never be so far from the other visitors.

Room Tip: Rooms on the sea front are better..
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Mark R
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica. All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

In reference the situation that you had in the restaurants & bars I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with them. We will take action to improve our service in that area. We take our guest’s comments very seriously.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable and the comments we receives from most of them prove it. However, we assure you that we will take very seriously each of your comments in order to improve our performance day after day.

We do not understand what happened with the take-away problem. We often have sick people and we do not see any inconvenient delivering food for the clients. We think it was a misunderstanding between the captain and the guest and at the end a rectification was made..

I will take note about your suggestions in order to improve our day to day services and if there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please let me know..

Thank you for your attention.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
36.5 km away
31.9 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
41.0 km away
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK