1,077 results
All reviewswhirlpool bathtasting menufour poster bedfinger sandwichesrelais and chateauxcastle wallsupgraded to a suitewhite peacockmichelin starromantic weekendbirthday treatchristmas decorationssitting roomsouth downscream teamodern bathroomthe general manager
Reviewed 3 April 2018

You're in England. Home of castles. Why not stay in one? Amberley Castle staff will treat you like you own the place, complete with butler.

It comes with a castle price tag but hey, you only live once! And really, only one night was all we could afford. But I'll be damned if that wasn't one of the best hotel stays I've ever had. Food, accommodation, and service are all 5-star. They served us tea in the garden, evening drinks in the library after dinner.

Explore the village of Amberley; there is a restaurant/pub there that is just awesome with some amazing views of the area, good solid British pub food and drink. And if you like old stuff, the Amberley church has a graveyard with plenty of really, really old tombstones.

Feel like royalty - even if it is for only one night.

Please note that I visited Amberley Castle in May 2011. But I remember it very well :)

Room Tip: They're all good rooms - of course, there's only 8 of them.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caroline M
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We visited Amberley Castle over the Easter weekend, staying overnight and dining in the main restaurant.

The stay was fairly pleasant, the location is very picturesque and Amberley village itself is lovely to stroll round. With regards to locations as a good base for walks on the South Downs, it’s a great choice.

In terms of the positive, the grounds were immaculate, the room (and in particular the bed) was very comfortable the restaurant offered a good menu which was fairly simple but well executed.

Areas for improvement would perhaps be elements of service and presentation. We had coffee which was served in shabby looking crockery in a side sitting room that had peeling wallpaper and felt a little sparse. When sitting in the drawing room next to reception you can hear the staffs conversation in full (including some bickering though nothing inappropriate). We ordered an aperitif and made our wine selection only to be told both our choices were unavailable. This was after our starters had already arrived in the dining room which was a little disappointing. The staff were very keen and enthusiastic but perhaps lacking in training and supervision.

There were no major issues here but as we have stayed at a number of Brownsord/Relais and Chateaux UK properties, we did come away feeling her expectations hadn’t been met and that the property is missing the polished services and touches one would expect.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank London20142014
Piers V, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear London20142014

Thank you for your feedback about your experience with us. I was disturbed to see that the overall experience was disappointing.

We work in a people industry and from time to time things do go wrong, though not often here, and I apologise that on this occasion we have let you and ourselves down. We have since this point worked incredibly hard on the training of all the team to ensure that the service in the hotel is faultless and polished.

I appreciate your comments about the rooms and the grounds and have passed on the feedback to the relevant teams.

I am sorry that we let you down and do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future for a better experience.

Kind Regards

Piers Vowles

Reviewed 2 April 2018

If i could give this place 10 stars i would. We have been before but not for about 10/12 years so it was lovely to go back . From the start the staff were wonderful charming helpful and professional nothing was to much trouble. We arrived in pouring rain and couldn't park our car but that was sorted without fuss and immediately. We were shown to our beautiful room (Arundel) which was warm and cosy with the fire alight it was also beautifully decorated and immaculate. I am very into History and was advised to speak to Yvonne (head of housekeeping) what a lovely lady! we chatted for about an hour about Amberley Castle if you stay there try and find Yvonne ! I could probably go on but you need to stay here and experience it all for yourself, from the amazing food, beautiful rooms and excellent staff. Thank you all.

Room Tip: We loved the Arundel room with lovely views of the garden.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We stopped from Good Friday to Easter Sunday in the Pevensey. What a beautiful hotel and the room was wonderful with access to the battlements. The only fault of the room was no bathroom door if you get my drift. The hotel grounds were wonderful to explore.The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a couple of faults. We had a meal in the hotel the first night and for the cost I have had better. We had venison and it was quite chewy. I know it's nouvelle cuisine and portions are always small but these were extra small. The last morning we ordered breakfast, my order was put through but they forgot my husband's. This meant me eating on my own whilst my husband watched me and my husband sitting for what seemed like ages whilst everyone else who came in some time after us having theirs. If it wasn't for these problems I would have given the hotel 5*.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed for a night after friend recommended it. The service is truly 5 Star and the dinner and breakfast are definitely worth staying for.
We had the 5 course taster menu, it was small fine dining portions with unusual flavours... but every dish was perfectly cooked and presented.

The location in the village of Amberley is also great for walking and exploring, the pub in the village is under restoration but should be finished shortly. However such is the service and food available you will likely stay in the castle for the majority of the stay

This is not a place serving large portions and be prepared to ask advice on the wine selection, they are very knowledgable and gave us a great selection, we liked the Gavi de Gavi so much we bought a bottle on the way home.

The staff are very entertaining attentive and enjoyable to talk to.

The grounds are worth a long stroll and a little walk across the wetlands in the village is highly relaxing

A little on the pricey side for winter lodging but overall worth it for the location, service and fine food. Next time we go, as I am sure we will, I would go for the 7 course or main menu.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple