Like many people, I scour Tripadvisor reviews when choosing hotels, restaurants and things to do - and no matter how consistently highly rated a particular place is, there are always naysayers. This is as true for Amanjiwo as it for everywhere else, but I have to say in this case that the yays have it...
For a start, there is simply no location like this anywhere else. Amanjiwo is simply a stunningly beautiful property. In addition to poetic views of Borobudur and the surrounding valley, it possesses a life affirming aura which is impossible to describe here. The age induced 'fatigue' that other reviewers mention is not obvious, and where one does notice a crack here or a blemish there, this is all congruent with the graceful aging of a grand temple, just like the more famous one down the road.
Some specifics - the service is intimate, genuine, and in my opinion unrivaled; and the food is spectacular, especially the Indonesian 'Makan Malam' traditional dinners. One night we opted instead for an in-suite Indonesian BBQ with private chef, and this was without doubt one of the finest dining experiences in our well-travelled lives.
We also enjoyed the afternoon Borobudur 'Intellectual Tour', which was so good and comprehensive that we elected not to do the much-hyped (and outrageously expensive) Borobudor Sunrise. We may have missed a soulful sunrise but didn't feel that we missed any of the experience.
I highly recommend the Menoreh Hills trek - this was an unexpectedly intimate and rich activity that was really undersold in the reviews here and at the hotel. If you love a bit of exercise, great views and a real taste of Indonesian village life then this is for you.
Other myths to slay - the tennis court is possibly the most beautifully situated, maintained and presented resort court you will find anywhere, and a booking comes replete with new balls, freshly strung rackets, watermelon, orange water, cold towels, iced water and the usual enthusiastic, smiling staff - who, by the way are prepared to be relieved of their duty if you are willing to collect your own balls between shots! I was really pleasantly surprised having seen photos of a weed infested court posted on Tripadvisor by a yet another naysayer complaining that it wasn't up to 'Aman standards'
Do yourself a favour and stay here, there really is nothing else like it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amanjiwo (peaceful soul) overlooks Borobudur, the world's largest Buddhist sanctuary, in the rural heartland of Central Java. Located in one of the most scenic parts of the country, the Menoreh Hills rise up behind and no less than four volcanoes grace the horizon. Amanjiwo provides the opportunity for immersion in Javanese culture, offering trips to ceremonies, temples and antique shops. Private dawn and sunset visits to Borobudur and other archeological monuments in the vicinity are the highlight of a stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Amanjiwo Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amanjiwo Hotel Yogyakarta
- Amanjiwo Resort Yogyakarta