“Pleasant Memories”

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Kumbakonam
Mountain House, California
“Pleasant Memories”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed at the Paradise Resort in Kumbakonam for 3 days in February. Just one sentence to express our experience. The pleasant memories of our stay here will live with us for ever. The room, the restaurant, and the hospitality were superb. We were impressed by the staff uniform that was a traditional South Indian style. We had evening dance entertainment also. In our opinion this is a MUST stay for all those who are visiting Kumbakonam, especially visitors from foreign countries.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
London England
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I spent two nights here with Cox & Kings Grand Tour of South India group. I must confess I was not in the best of moods, having travelled for over 10 days in a very uncomfortable coach, no proper suspension, juddering even on brand new dual carriageways, and on top of this I had an upset stomach. A long time to check in (only 10 of us, booked in advance) so night fell as we waited. We were all allocated the far cottages, mine being No 65. Large underlit room, high hard bed, dark incredibly heavy furniture. Huge bathroom with a bright (thank god) florescent light over the gigantic mirror, which dwarfed the minute shelf provided for bathroom necessaries (toothbrush, toothpaste, razor etc - many of which fell to the floor during my stay). Despite the light it was impossible to work out how to access the soap, wrapped in cloth (the first thing I do in a new hotel room is check out the bathroom and wash my hands - am I unusual?), so I had to unlock my suitcase and find my scissors. There was a floor standing towel rail which you could place either by the shower or the handbasin about 4 metres away, but no other rails or hooks to keep your towel off the rather grimy floor. I shared the shower with a slug but, hey, its the country! I had decided not to have dinner but to call room service and eat very plain food. No hotel directory, no room service menu to be found. I managed to work out how to call reception. While I waited I started seeing the things missing in the room. There were no hand-towels, only one glass (I was lucky as I found that the couples also had only one), only hard high pillows, no hangers. The wall-mounted bedside lights (dim, not suitable for reading) could be turned on and off only at the switchboard by the door, 8 metres or so away - the switches by the bed were purely for show (?). Room service started arriving with the wrong things. I insisted on the need for a bedside light with an on/off switch - the first one came with a broken plug (rejected). Eventually I got most of the problems sorted out, thanks mainly to the patient Murugan, to whom top marks. The following day, I spent a good deal of time resting and recuperating in my room, and noted some other faults. The stained glass is a nice detail, but there was no mesh on the windows so that you couldn't sit and look out over the charming landscape nor have the cross ventilation that would have been pleasant and possible. The fan was either on or off, no variation of speed.

I can't comment on the food, as I had so little.

The owner, to whom our guide reported the dissatisfaction of most of our group, expressed surprise and quoted the enthusiasm of a party of Spaniards who had just left the hotel. I doubt she will ever learn how to run an hotel. Basil? Fawlty Towers?

Despite the above, I liked the concept of the hotel. I grew up on a modest farm in New Zealand in the 1940s/50s, and the simplicity was in some ways endearing. I liked the country sounds and smells and the tooting of the distant trains took me back to my youth. But what was acceptable in a family house 60 years ago will not do in upmarket tourist hotel in 2011. I don't know what Cox & Kings paid for our rooms, but the tour was not cheap. As I said in my heading, it was as if we had arrived unexpectedly at a private house and nothing had been thought through for our comfort. I find it difficult to give it a rating, as good things and bad existed side by side. But I could recommend it only if it were very cheap, as an eccentric sojourn, a time-warp.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank ross39
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 February 2011

There aren't many hotel options in this part of Tamil Nadu and Paradise Resort is probably as good as anything you are going to find in this area. This is a good base for exploring Trichy, Tanjavore and other towns in the area.

Rooms are reasonably clean and beds are comfy.

Lots of service problems:
Hot water stopped working
Telephone in room didn't work
No bottled water in room
Room not cleaned for two days

When I spoke with the front desk there would invariably be lots of running around and promises to fix everything. But no action. Eventually things were sorted out.

This is an amazing place to see birds.

Food in the restaurant is good and the staff is helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Pune, India
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Very nice resort with good size rooms and big bathrooms. Their restaurant has a nice selection of food and their breakfast spread has many options. The staff were very friendly and helpful to us pointing out the nearby temples and attractions to see. They provided breakfast to my driver which is a nice touch :) Must see is the Darasuram temple a UNESCO heritage sight and the closeby bronze making artisans who use the old method of making bronze statues till date. Take the bullock cart ride from the main resort to their extension at the back, it is a fun ride. They have some great massage packages wish I had made the time for that. Definitely will return here if i visit south india again. Location is great to see trichy and tanjore temples too.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Slverfox
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2011

The setup is a bit strange, but grows on you. The hotel is in 2 parts. At the front are the restaurant, conventional rooms, and a multifunction hall (fun to watch if their is a wedding or some other party). Cross the dirt track at the back (beside some village houses), and you get to the back part, which has some service buildings, a bronzemaking shop, and then another 30 or so huts by a field and river called the riverside rooms. A bullock cart can take you back and forth but it is quite easy to walk.

We stayed in the riverside rooms
Pluses
- Very clean, quite comfortable beds, spacious
- Relatively quiet and serene by the river/field (though you do hear trucks honking on the road in the distance)
- Quite entertaining to watch all that is happening
- Restaurant breakfast was delicious and menu has anything you would need for all meals
- Convenient place for a 1-2 night stay if you are doing the temple circuit (e.g. if you stay 2 days you can make a day trip to see several of the temples to the northeast and not have to move around so much)

Minuses
- The riverside is a 5-10 min walk (or bullock ride) from the restaurant, and the mozzies are out in the evenings
- The restaurant is not bad, but the Indian food is a bit bland (spicing seems to be toned down) and is about 30% overpriced for the quality

All in all, if you have fixed ideas of what a hotel/resort *should* be like, you may be disappointed. If you like quirkiness, you will have a fine time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple