“Golf trip”

The Kinloch Club Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Kinloch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Designed by one of the games best strategic thinkers, Kinloch is New Zealand’s only Jack Nicklaus designed golf course. With panoramic views of New Zealand’s largest fresh-water lake, Lake Taupo and the natural beauty of rugged rural farmland, this world-class championship Par 72 course is a hybrid between a links and a Parkland course although it is often compared to the classic link courses of Scotland and Ireland. The design philosophy behind Kinloch was to enhance the natural environment – and allow the surroundings of the stunning Taupo region to shape each hole. But beware, it’s tough. The only flat lie you will have is on the tee box, so be prepared. Extensive bunkering guards the front of the greens and you’ll have to think carefully of every single hole shot. As Kinloch’s Director of Golf Tom Long states ‘’If you don’t come out of Kinloch mentally exhausted, your scores going to blow out.’’
Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

Nice links golf course. Many bunkers and nice scenery of Taupo Lake. Staff was friendly and helpful.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"muffins"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 2 February 2017

The Kinloch Golf Club cafe is now open to the public whether or not you are playing golf there. My wife & I went in for a light lunch & coffee whilst on our recent fishing trip to Kinloch. The coffee was great & the panini's we had for lunch extra special. Made with all fresh ingredients including ham off the bone & beautifully cooked. Sitting outside looking over the golf course & chalets made for a relaxing experience in lovely surroundings with great food.

1  Thank cadogan2016
Reviewed 29 November 2016

A fantastic course and worthy of the rave reviews and rankings. If you can, it's worth playing twice because the first round is very much a learning experience

TheKinlochClub, Director of Golf at The Kinloch Club Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2017

Thank you Will for your kind words, will pass this onto the Golf team. - Tom Long

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

We were welcomed at the pro shop like old friends. We got a run down on the course which definitely helped the game and supplied with everything I could possibly need to enjoy the round ahead. Tom went out of his way to look after us and once I teed off, I was in for a great time. The course really makes you think with plenty of options available for the thinking golfer. Brute power won't hurt your game here but if you leave your brains in the car park, your score will suffer. It's the type off purse that invites you to make mistakes but rewards you when you don't, to me, that's perfect. You can hit a great shot and make a birdie but miss by a poofteenth and you will start racking up scores. That said, a great recovery is always available and a thrill when you pull it off. Imagination is key and knowledge is gold around here.
One other thing I really liked was the photo opportunity on your way to the 10th tee, make sure you take advantage of the photo platform opposite the 'sign'
After our game we were welcomed back like old mates, enjoyed a chat, a beer and a really nice sandwich.
I highly recommend a game here, the course, service and friendlyness are all first class.

One thing that really impressed me was this..the greens had recently been cored and when we rang to book a few weeks in advance, we were told this and knew prior to booking that this would be the case. Tom even took the booking, knowing it was a surprise from my partner for me, and. Said if I didn't want to play on recent,y cored greens we could cancel with no issue. Tremendous service that all golf clubs could learn from.

All in all, an A1 experience and one of the best courses I've played. Thank you.

1  Thank Kevin N
TheKinlochClub, Owner at The Kinloch Club Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2017

Fantastic review, thank you for the time taken to write such a great account of your experience playing The Kinloch Club, and a special mention to our Golf Director Tom Long - John Sax