Open today: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great guide and Great DAY!

When planning our trip to Alaska, the one thing I wanted was to walk on a Glacier! Dear hubby... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
funcatperson
Couldn't ask for a better experience

Jared and the folks at KWG provide world class service with a small-time personal feel and made my... read more

Reviewed 23 October 2018
delaysounds
Fort Collins, Colorado

All reviews glacier hike root glacier ice climbing wrangell st day trip my husband and i these guys backpacking trip an adventure an amazing experience great trip once in a lifetime glacial lake wilderness guides next year couple of days last minute
Reviewed 10 September 2018

My whole experience was pleasant and efficient. The booking process was easy and the office is located right across from where we were staying at Kennicott Lodge. Our guide Hazel was the best! My husband and I did a 1/2 day hike, (in the rain.) It was just the two of us, even though we had signed up for the group hike. This ended up being to my advantage since I was the least in shape of the group,and both hubby and Hazel were patient and understanding while waiting for me to catch up on the glacier. I think they enjoyed the scenery while I carefully moved forward. My advice to anyone taking this tour is to make sure you wear the right shoes. My Nike tennis shoes were very wrong! We decided to not stop for lunch, even though we had packed it. (Too cold and wet) I only fell once and was told by hubby that maybe I should ice it. Haha! Finally, the best part of all is that there was no bear sighting on the glacier. I would have been the slowest!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 5 September 2018

We had a group of 6, all in our 60s and in fairly good shape. Our guide was extremely informative and set a pace that worked for everyone. She gave us a lot of background on the town of Kennicott and described how glaciers work in very good detail. She was very focused on safety and made sure everyone understood how to use the crampons. Overall, the experience could not have been much better.

Reviewed 23 August 2018

At the beginning of August I participated in an icewalking tour of Kennicott Wilderness Guides at Root Glacier. Walking a glacier is a special experience and definitely recommended if you have never done that before. The world looks so different, impressive and unforgettable.

Immediately on arrival it was clear to me that this organization has a high priority on safety. I have previously walked a glacier, with 1 guide on a group of 10. Here we got 3 guides, for 14 participants. All of them enthusiastic, involved and well trained. They took the time to explain the use of the crampons and were flexible to meet the different wishes within our group.

That the guides are well trained on the provision of first aid, I unfortunately experienced myself. The good news here is that I did not feel unsafe for a moment, as both Austin and Peyton did exactly what was needed and provided me with the right support.

In any case, I look back on a great experience with KWG. Thanks again guys, you are awesome!

Reviewed 23 August 2018

Our guide Hazel was terrific and we felt very safe trying our first ice climbing with her on belay. The walk to see the glacier sights was pretty cool too. We had to borrow stiff boots, crampons, and climbing harness. The borrowed gear was in good shape though we were all envious of Hazel's ice climbing crampons. One of our party got to try them out and she had no trouble getting up the ice wall after that! Would definitely recommend this company.

Reviewed 21 August 2018

KWG & McCarthy/Kennicott are a MUST while in Alaska. We started our road trip with four nights in McCarthy and it was such a highlight of our two week adventure. KWG/Jared arranged to take us pack rafting, glacier hiking and ice climbing. Our three kids (ages 12, 12 & 8) had a BLAST! They've got all the gear - even packs of hot chocolate to warm up on the glacier! We didn't get a chance to do any basecampjng or backcountry trips, but I have no doubt that would be an incredible experience. KWG is awesome! Personable, super knowledgable and safe. Highly recommend!!