Open today: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Unbelievable

We did this tour through get up and go mountain and glacier tours. It was breath taking and a once... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
luv2sunOIB
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
via mobile
10 Stars!

My whole experience was pleasant and efficient. The booking process was easy and the office is... read more

Reviewed 10 September 2018
Lucy P
chicago,IL

All reviews ice climbing glacier hike root glacier wrangell st day trip my husband and i these guys backpacking trip an adventure an amazing experience wilderness guides once in a lifetime next year couple of days glacial lake attention to detail in addition
Reviewed 18 August 2018

Jack was awesome. We hiked the glacier for 4 miles. Loved the experience. The next day we rafted the glacier lake. SOOOO peaceful and beautiful.

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

I went on the 2-day water and ice adventure. The friendly owner, Jared, patiently answered questions. They provide a wealth of useful online info and quickly respond to emails.
Nick was my guide. Through organically unscripted conversations he shared loads of information about glaciers, glacier lakes, wildlife, the mountains and park. He also listened to what I had to say about my physical needs/concerns and appropriately adapted the hike and rafting. He was good at gauging when to respect my limits and when to coach me beyond them. I can still hear him shouting encouragement from behind me as I paddled my packraft against the current in a set of rapids because he was surprising me with the most beautiful sight around the corner.
The package itself was fantastic -the views were incredible and worth the effort.
I met other guides at the headquarters and the team was enchanting at creating excitement about the adventure. This is a st class operation but very relaxed and concerned about 2 things - safety and enjoyment. Well done!

Reviewed 17 August 2018

My daughter and I went on a three day back country camping tip with KWG July 29 through 31. Jared was very thoughtful about helping us plan where to go (Fan Glacier) and to pick a guide who would be a great match. Due to an injury to the guide prior to the trip, Nick stepped in and provided a superb experience. Nick engaged us in the planning for each phase of the trip, and made everything very easy for us ranging from preparing meals to navigating the crossing of glacial river. We particularly appreciated Nick's knowledge and curiosity about the environment where we were camping. If he did not know what a plant or rock was at the site, he followed up with his research after we returned to Kennicott. It was real pleasure to get to know Nick and spend three days with him.

Similarly, we went on a KWG pack rafting trip with Hazel a couple of days later. KWG was very flexible with our scheduling. We had originally scheduled a glacier hike with KWG on the day after our backcountry trip, but they accommodated our changing interests and decision to extend our stay in Wrangell-St. Elias. Pack rafting was a completely new experience for us, and Hazel was a very enthusiastic teacher. We enjoyed her explanations of the changes in the glacial lake where we paddled, spying three bears from the comfort of our pack rafts during the trip, as well as her stories about growing up in Alaska.

KWG has a great group of guides, and we thoroughly enjoyed to getting to know several of them (in addition to Nick and Hazel) during our six days in Wrangell-St. Elias. An unrelated experience that you should take part in is open mic night at the Golden Saloon in McCarthy on Thursday nights. It is co-hosted by Spencer, another KWG guide and spoon player extraordinaire. Finally, a shout out to Jack Teague, another KWG guide, who enticed us to choose Wrangell-St. Elias over Denali as a destination.

Reviewed 8 August 2018

The hike to Donoho Lakes was everything promised. Our guide, Nick, is incredibly knowledgeable about glacier formation and movement, and he entertained us as we hiked for a couple of hours across the Root. He showed us many glacial pools and moulins, so beautiful. Donoho Lakes and Falls are very peaceful and incredibly beautiful. It was an exceptional trip, made so in large part by our fantastic guide.

Reviewed 28 July 2018

I can't say enough good things about the staff at Kennicott Wilderness Guides. My wife and I opted for the half day Root Glacier hike as my wife was somewhat apprehensive about hiking on a glacier. My staff were very patient and understanding and made this a wonderful experience for my wife and I. In addition, they ensured that we were thoroughly happy and satisfied with our glacier experience before returning back to town. I highly recommend using them if you are planning any glacier expedition!