“How relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Kannur
NY
“How relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We had a very warm welcome. Stayed in a lovely cottage, absolutely clean, quiet and breezy. The staff was attentive and helpful all the time. They served great indian food. Here I fell in love with south Indian breakfast.
The Ayurvedic massage I enjoyed I absolutely recommend.
The property is so well maintained, lots of trees and flowers. And the long, long beach is just steps away.
I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kittychanNY
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Guest, Thanks for taking time out to post the review. We are happy to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to ASOKAM. Best regards NAVEEN
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We were supposed to visit Thalassery in the month of February for family function. We clubbed our north kerala holiday with the same & landed up booking room in Asokam Beach Resort, Kannur.
We missed our train in first place from banglore. Then we managed to take bus from banglore to kannur. Bus takes 1-2 hrs less than train & we reached kannur at 5.45am.
I have given call to Mr. Naveen & have given him idea that we’ll be reaching there early morning. And to our surprise, Mr. naveen came to pick us from bus stand at kannur.
The resort is 4-5kms away from bus stand. You can get autos from there for the resort. The resort is located bit far from the busy city life, so there is no sound pollution :)
The location is spectacular, right in front of sea shore. At early morning you can just relax in the balcony and enjoy the magical atmosphere of sunrise & just the sound of waves of Arabian Sea. On the first day we just took walk on sea shore, took few snaps & tried bit of swimming. The place itself is so beautiful, that frankly there is no need to go for sightseeing! I just enjoyed the view from the balcony whole day.
The rooms are spacious, clean & well maintained.
One thing one should consider that there is no medical shop nearby so, the regular medicines right from crocin, one need to carry along.
On the second day, we hired a bike (we always wanted to do that)….Naveen’s staff helped us for hiring a bike, he also arranged helmet for us(though police doesn’t care much over there if you are wearing helmet or not :p). They have given us bit hand drawn map for the directions.
We decided to visit Snake Park 1st. Those who have visited b’lore Banerghatta zoo or Mysore zoo pls do not visit this snake park. Its pathetic. It is approximately 20kms from resort. You can bypass city centre & can directly go to Chirakal circle to avoid traffic. Most interesting thing to see in Snake Park is, king cobra is kept in AC enclosure. It actually has window AC attached to it :p Its complete turn off. The ticket costs is Rs.10. For Pictures they costs Rs.25. & for video shooting they charge something extra. Parking is available for 2-4 wheelers.
Then we went to Parasinikadavu temple. Its 2 kms away from Snake Park. The road is in really good condition. There are steep curves for some stretch. Boys are allowed to go with shirt pant there is no Lungi compulsion here  For lunch, we decided to go to Das Residency hotel which is right next to the temple parking. But the restaurant was not available in the hotel. There are some small food joints on the way back. We had lunch at Aaram hotel run by KTDC tamarind restaurant. The restaurant is clean. There is not much variety available. But the standard Kerala rice dish was tasty. The quantity is enough for 2 ppl. Staff is courteous.
Later after taking rest for few minutes in resort, we went to St. Angelo’s Fort which is 4-5 kms away from resort. Do not compare it with Sinhagadh or Pratapgadh from Maharashtra. But this is really very clean & well maintained fort. It is built by Portuguese ppl mainly for trading spices. There is no ticket for fort. Only Rs.5 we had to pay for bike parking.
On the way back to Thalassery the next day, we had lunch at asokam & hired auto for bus stand. Even the auto driver was so nice; he dropped us till bus stand where bus was parked. I have noticed one thing in Kerala is, ppl there are really nice & co-operative & always ready to help.
In all the stay was awesome. The beach is extremely quiet & beautiful. One can relax in resort garden or chat with other guests or just read.
Only thing Asokam resort needs to improve is food. Thumbs up to naveen & his team!
Things to keep in mind: keep road map with you, as ppl here do not understand much Hindi or English. If you plan for bike ride go for comfortable seat, as after 40 kms drive you might get pain in back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dipsat
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thanks guest for taking time out to write such a detailed feedback. We truly appreciate it. We shall try to implement your suggestions / feedback. Thanks again. With best regard Naveen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

A great place to spend a quiet.
It is unsatisfactory to those who want the stimulation.
All staff are friendly, very pleasant.Unfortunately,I can't use wi-fi in my room.If possible,I more use my room terrace.And I want to improve that credit card was not available.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank maron-apple
, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Guest, Thanks for your feedback. We wish to inform that we have now started accepting all major credit cards. With regards to wifi its being worked up in order to facilitate seamless wireless access in all rooms. Thanks again, Naveen
Kanagawa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

It was a place really wonderful for Ayurveda Panchakarma treatments.
I stayed 25 days 3 weeks therapy program at Asoka.
Now I think I was rejuvenated and acquired vitality since I got panchakarma there.

The location is perfect. Although it is distant from the town, it is quiet and settles down.
The beach spreads out at hand. I felt at ease with the sound of the waves of the Arabian Sea and enjoyed the beautiful setting sun every day. The room I stayed in a standard AC room, was also clean and comfortable. I felt more relaxed.

Thank you Naveen for your hospitality. Asoka staffs were kind and polite.
If possible, I would like to come again, although it is far from Japan.
It is worth visiting.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Toiile17
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you! We are pleased to read your feedback. We enjoyed your company and also celebrating your birthday! We hope to see you again at ASOKAM!. With best regards NAVEEN
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I spent 10 days at Asoka with 7 days of Ayurveda treatments. I enjoyed the entire time and I'm already thinking to go back next year.

The Resort is sited in a spectacular location, the beach, just on the other side of the street, is a few km long, very quite, no crowd, no tourists, sandy and perfect for a walk, yoga sun salutation or simply relaxing or enjoy the magic atmosphere of Indian sunsets... .

I loved the food at Asoka. It's not the first time for me in India, so I know what I'm talking about, moreover I'm the typical Italian very fussy about food, every dish at Asoka was fresh, tasty and simply delicious... I liked it so much that now that I'm back to Europe I'm starting to cook South Indian style... :-)

The room we stayed in, although we decided for a non AC room, was perfectly ventilated, with a fan and 2 windows that allow the air to change... Lovely balcony where you can enjoy a tea, very confy bed, clean, cosy and the best thing has been the sound of the sea waves during the night... A lullaby that makes you sleep and feel like a child into the womb of mother earth ...

The other pearl is the staff. I didn't have at all the idea of being abroad and far away from home... In every moment I felt like in a family. They are all superkind, sweet, helpful, cheerful ...
As a consequence naturally starts a friendly and a familiar atmosphere also among the guests ...

Last, but not least, the treatments. Before going to Asoka I was totally exhausted and stressed out for working too much with computers without taking a proper break for years. My sleep was irregular, my body was retaining too much water, i was getting headaches too often, random skin allergies, my mind was constantly on *overthinking mode*, my pulse was seriously accelerated, in general I was feeling really bad, sad and tired. I'm 40 and I thought that I could slightly improve taking a relaxing break but I didn't even think that I could feel better and young again, especially in a few days!
Everything has been super professional, from the detailed consultation by dr Altaf, to the 2 therapists Seema and Lya, to their high quality Ayurveda medicines and oils prepared by their own factory...

Thanks to all this I'm back in shape, lost 3 kilograms (of water!), I'm sleeping again like a normal human being, able to smile, relax and appreciate the beauty of life again! :-)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Stefania B
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Hello! On behalf of ASOKAM family, would like to thank you for taking time out to post your experience. It was indeed our great pleasure to meet you. We are indeed thankful for taking time out to post your experience. We also assure you of our continues commitment to enhance the experience offered to all our guests. We look forward to your future visits...With kind regards NAVEEN