All reviews old building honeymoon suite poster bed function room large room selection of beers stayed here for one night wedding reception comfortable rooms warm welcome high standard saturday night the pub pete waterbed meal landlord
Reviewed 27 July 2016

I was after a simple room and that is what I received, but for me, the service bed and shower are the most important and all were great. Excellent service from all the staff, a comfortable bed with a shower with good water pressure and I was happy. There was a bit of noise from the locals outside the pub which I could hear (from across the road), but it didn't bother me for long.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Caro397
Reviewed 26 July 2016

This was an overnight stay and we had no complaints about our en-suite room, which was clean and comfortable with a decent sized television for once! We didn't need them but the provision of an iron and ironing board as well as tea and coffee making facilities, was a nice touch. It's just the public areas which need some proper attention. The decor is very tired and the some of the windows could do with a good clean.

We did not eat in because the menu was so limited and the bar area was unappealing. I know others rated the breakfast but we didn't opt for it so I cannot comment. I really don't want to be too negative though as the building itself is stunning from the outside, its location is excellent and the parking very convenient, The members of staff were generally friendly and helpful, although I agree with another contributor the sight of some of them smoking on the front doorstep isn't a good look at all.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Fantastic old building in a very charming town. Only used the bar as couldn't get a room but will definitely try to stay here when next in the area. The sense of history is all pervasive. Staff friendly.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Coz_11
Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

The lion and swan is a beautiful old hotel in the centre of town, the building has lots of character, lovely clean rooms a beautiful facade and lots of quirky character, it's even reputed to be haunted although we saw no signs of the illusive ghost. The staff were very polite, well presented and extremely helpful. Absolutely lovely people. I do not have a bad word to say about this hotel, the food and bar were excellent and breakfast was to die for! I would highly recommend the lion and swan to anyone looking to stay in the area! I will definitely be back again!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank barslut
Reviewed 21 July 2016

We rang around 3 hotels to see which hotels around Congleton would allow a late checkout for us whilst one of us went to a meeting. This hotel agreed that 12 o'clock would be fine so we booked an executive room for £89. The hotel looks 'tired' and whilst getting ready for dinner the sounds of a band practising (same tunes over and over again) wafted loudly up to our room. It turned out they use one of the function rooms on a regular basis. Along with this noise there was no one in the bar or restaurant so we pushed our way past the staff smoking on the front door step and went out for a lovely supper in the town. On returning to the hotel the music was still blaring but the receptionist did agree to have a word with the band when we explained they were underneath our room (she later agreed they 'did her head in' too)- the music then did stop which was a plus. At breakfast the next morning when we checked about the late checkout previously agreed on booking we were told that there was no note on our booking and if we wanted to use the room until 12 there would be a charge of £15 otherwise we had to vacate by 11am, particularly annoying when we could have stayed at a superior hotel and paid the same. When the room was vacated at 11am and we again explained our conversation the staff worked out that it was with the Manager we'd spoken to so begrudingly said we could return to the room if we wanted for the hour- having packed up and cleared out we didn't bother! If you don't mind a tired hotel with nobody around, overly casual staff sitting on the front desk, smoking on the front door step and on departure saying 'See ya' then I guess this hotel would be fine for you - it didn't however suit us and we won't be returning.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business