“Brisas Covarrubias, Holguin, Cuba”

and 1 more site!
Brisas Covarrubias Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Padre
Toronto
“Brisas Covarrubias, Holguin, Cuba”
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Back again from our favorite place. We were welcomed by the staff as if we were family. This is not our first time, we have become regulars. Everything has been upgraded since the Hurricane Ike that hit them last year. The beach is still the best - it should really be rated a 5 star beach. The rooms were absolutely clean and the food very good. As I have stated in previous remarks over the years, those who want to eat prepared chemically enhanced food can stay home. This resort is secluded and it is for those who want serenity, relish in the beauty that nature provides - total relaxation. The weather was very warm with the exception of a storm that pass through for 2 days but that was all the south. The nightly entertainment was new and fun. I highly recommend you experience this place if you like to relax.

22 Thank butterflyToronto
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
lordring
Reviewed 26 January 2009

the bus ride is 3 hours with a crazy fast driver. We were downgraded to standard from VIP because the airline (sunwing) didn't pay for the VIP option. Sunwing denies this happened. We went for fishing but if you spear fish you get the boat first because you pay more. The boat per hour was 80-90 dollars Canadian unbelievable considering Cubans make 15-20 a month. Because the hotel is isolated everyone takes advantage of Canadians and expects Tips frequently to get anything done such as water sports. This place is only recommended for seniors and retirees because they all thought it was Gods gift to this planet. My girlfriend was sickened for 2 days but the doctor was o.k after slipping him 10 bucks. He makes 25 Canadian dollars in a month. Plan on spending 40-80 on tipping and paying for extras that should be free. I am not cheap or unwilling to spend my money but everyone a the resort is interested in using this place to catch themselves better meals then they served to us. It is a totally Canadian breakfast, lunch, and supper, nothing is exotic. Not even the ocean perch we ate while they cooked up the red snapper for themselves. At the very least the beach is awesome, it is extremely shallow and you can walk out 500 meters before submerging above your head that is almost unbelievable. This is horrible for fishing and seeing a reef without going out 1 - 2 kilometers. Make sure you pay less than the 1100 I paid. Some people paid 550 for the same vacation.

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — LOCATION / Middle of nowhere
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank lordring

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Padre hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We went to the Brisas Covarrubias January 4th to 11th; a group of 10 people; kids, young adults, middle aged adults and grandparents. All I can say is read the reviews, go prepared and consider the price you may get this vacation for. I'd only go last minute, that way you get an idea of what the weather might be. I can't imagine being in this resort during the rain, what would you do, where would you go?!? I'll do point form like some of the other reviewers.

Airport to Hotel - It really is three hours. If you're on a night flight, bring gravol for yourself and especially your kids. Hopefully you can sleep through the very bumpy ride. The bus was great though; good reclining seats, air conditionined, etc.

Check-in - Okay, but we weren't shown to our rooms, we had to find our own way at 2:30 in the morning. My husband got lost and wandered around for about half an hour looking for the room. I almost sent security out looking for him!

Food/Restaurants - On the very bottom end of okay. I'm no gourmand but let's just say I really think they could do better. The main restaurant has limited seating so about 15 minutes after it opens a line-up begins to form. The reason it fills up so fast is obviously because particular foods are limited, like butter for example. When it's finished there's no more, so get in fast for the widest selection. The food was mostly canned fruits and vegetables, rice, cheese and coldcuts (I think it was ham), pasta with sauce cooked while you watch and meat or fish grilled and eggs for breakfast. You won't gain weight at this resort! I'm not picky but I ended up basically having cheese sandwitches for most of the vacation. My son got food poisoning from the ice-cream (we think it may not be pasturized???) and my mother has been sick since we got back. Bring your own food if possible (there is a mini-fridge in the room). Medical care was good for my son's illness. There's a doctor on site 24/7 and services are included, so I didn't have to pay for the injection of gravol or the rehydration fluid that my son got to treat his food poisoning. The beach restaurant served a very limited lunch (which is all we tried at this restaurant), there were a lot of flies, but hey, we're at the beach. The a la carte was pretty substandard as well, the food seems to be cooked at the main restaurant and then carried over the the disco building to be served; it was cold when we got it.
Mosquitoes - Yes, there are mosquitoes and yes, they do spray some sort of diesel smoke in the morning and at night. It sounds like a big leaf blower, so if you hear that sound, run the other way!

Bars - Very small disposable cups and no fun slushy drinks (margarita, daiquiri, pina colada, etc.) Great beer, though!

So far it may sound pretty bad, but the good stuff may outweigh the bad.

Rooms - the rooms were clean, there was no mold in our bathroom. A thing about the toilet seats, they must be a hot commodity in Cuba, they're missing in a lot of the public restrooms and even in one of the rooms. Water pressure was not as strong as I like it and one afternoon there was no water for a while. Towels provided are pretty small. If you like a bigger bath towel, bring your own. Pillows were flat. Bring a power converter with flat prongs and don't forget to consider the watts that it can handle. Normal 220 converters have the two round prongs and the only plug we could find in the room that was suitable was the one behind the fridge and TV. The only accessible outlet 'looks' like one we see here (square prongs) but don't be fooled, it's 220!

Entertainment - Live entertainment every night from 9:30 until 11:00 (roughly), good musicians. Disco from 11 to 2, it's not the Palladium! Poolside, afternoon bingo, dancing some water volleyball. It was okay.

Pool - Saltwater pool was beautiful and clean. Lots of lounge chairs.

Beach - Save the best for last. It was amazing -- simply amazing! Lots of lounge chairs. White clean sand, clear water, I think there were about six kayaks, two paddle boats and two hobby cats (catamarans) which we did not have to book or pay for. My kids loved the kayaks and paddle boats. The water is safe and shallow way way out. There were lots of shells to be collected, sand dollars and talk to the lifeguards about bigger shells that they polish up and sell (I got a large tiger coloured shell for $5 CUC)

Bring the following:

Bug Spray - Fly Swatter
Food/Condiments
Bath Towel
Gravol for ride to/from airport
Toilet paper
Bigger glass/cup for drinks
Don't worry so much about 'fancy' clothes (there's nowhere to wear them)
I'd get the 'vacation' shot before going - there's something about the food
gifts for staff: baby clothes, baby medicine, toothpaste, soap, pretty hair clips, baseballs, school supplies, wind-up flashlight

Bottom Line: Nobody in our group HATED the place, we had great weather and really, the beach is awesome! It was fun to experience a small remote resort like this and it was not the gluttony of food that we see in Mexican resorts, which made me think a little bit about my values. The resort was small and we really got to have fun with our fellow guests. Staff were also quite agreeable. Did we enjoy our vacation? Yes. Would we go back? Probably not.

• Liked — The beach, child safety
  • Disliked — Food, restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15 Thank SunnyMomandKids
North vancouver
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We knew the 3 HR. bus ride would be bouncy and rough, not the fault of resort.
Stayed in rm.3125 (upper unit) Jan.01 - 08/09.High ceilings and
ocean view as are most of the bungalows in complex.Payed $14
CUC for use of safe.-2 ppl.Room cleaned daily, had dressers and
TV wall mounted with good reception.
Beach is fantastic with sunny days and warm ocean to swim in.
Great coffee in 24 hr. bar.
In general, staff friendly and helpful.

THE BAD: Food was atrocious. No fresh fruit or vegetables. Canned
fruit and veggies only in a la carte and buffet.
Beach grill and bar food was horrible.Flies on food and poorly cooked burgers,ran out of fries one day.
Ran out of water in complex twice, once for 12 hrs.
Safe cards would not work properly.
Broken glass in sand between beach and walkways.Garbage strewn between beach grill and bungalows.
Flies and mosquitoes everywhere, once when 24 hr. bar and lobby full of people,we were driven out by diesel smoker.
Will never go back to this resort !!!!

• Liked — roomy for 2 people and clean.
  • Disliked — Running out of water.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank DokFroth
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 14 January 2009

Ok, the BRisas Covarrubias is CERTAINLY NOT FOR EVERYONE, and I can CLEARLY se how MANY MANY people would hate the place and warn you against it...to each their own...Here’s my honest assessment.

LOVED: The beach, with it’s soft white sand, clear (but cold) water, towel service, clean chaise lounges (all new after the hurricane)

LOVED: the cappuccinos and coffee AT THE BARS. Coffee in the restaurant is VILE. Don’t know why but that’s how it is.

HATED: Mosquitoes. The hotel is located 3 hours from the airport and is surrounded by a “natural reserve” which is actually a swamp. If your 3 hour bus ride from the airport is during the day, you’ll see the swamp yourself. If you’re allergic to bug bites, DO NOT GO HERE. Warm humid weather and a swamp is truly a breeding ground. As soon as the sun goes down, which in January is about 6:30 pm, you’re screwed in terms of BUGS and MOSQUITOS!

HATED: The diesel spray the use to fight the bugs. They imitate city pollution and start a portable diesel engine, walk around the property and blast THICK, CHOKING diesel fumes everywhere to offset the mosquitos. Not a good thing people.
NEUTRAL: Food is what you can expect at a 3 star. If you are used to a more Mediterranean diet, you’ll be fine. If you are used to a Canadian diet, you’re not going to like eating at Brisas Covarrubias....period.

Breakfast always offered an omelette bar where you can have your custom omelette or fried eggs made up right there. IF they offered bacon that day, it was pre-cooked and dumped into a bin so it was always cold and chewy. There were always the Cuban version of pancakes, French toast but no syrup, only honey. Butter was only available during half our 1 week stay. THE HOTELS IN CUBA ARE ALSO ON RATIONS. YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THIS!! There is sugary cereal for kids.

Lunch always offered a pasta bar which I personally thought was yuck, but if you have simple tastes, you may enjoy. There was always a nice hot soup or two, always PLENTY OF FRESH BREAD and rolls, always PLENTY of salad greens, green peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, but no salad dressing. They do make up an oil and vinegar mix which I LOVED because I enjoy a Mediterranean diet, but if you need Ranch or French or whatever, bring your own..seriously... people did....we did...we read reviews and went prepared

DINNER: Same as lunch but with a bit more variety. ALWAYS SOME TASTY MEAT off the grill. Not piping hot, no, but cooked well, and carved in the dining room, so it is a little cooler than if right off the grill. WE NEVER STARVED. WE WERE ALWAYS FULL. We always had a big plate of salad, fresh bread, a little pork or chicken off the grill ( there was fish but I didn’t try it), and maybe some fries, glazed carrots, boiled potatoes with onions and cheese, pasta casserole etc as sides. Yes, there were some gross weird sides like bean items and what not, but it is just a difference in culture. If you don’t like the bean stuff, pick something else! As I said, we were never hungry!

DESSERT: Simple sponge cakes made with fruit fillings and basic whipped cream. Simple custard. Simple ice cream. Tasty and simple. NOT RICH and DECADENT like we have here in gluttonous Canada....remember, different country, different level of luxury etc. In any event, sweet tooth was always satisfied as both custard and ice cream were great...cakes...meh...

SERVICE: I personally did not experience any spectacular service by any employee, not even once. I tip, I smile, I am able to order everything I want in Spanish, but I couldn’t get a smile or a conversation out of any BAR employee. In fact, I would say that the BAR staff’s demeanour took AWAY from my vacation experience. Dining hall staff are much warmer and friendlier but still, nothing impressive, nothing that ADDED to my experience. OTHERS SAY DIFFERENT, and I didn’t see some hugs between staff and visitors on departure day, soooo.....

ENTERTAINMENT: I can’t say much about it. I don’t drink alcohol and this was a relaxing stay where I really needed to unwind and let go o stress. I laid on the beach all day, swam, ate well, read books, had cheap massages, played cards in my hotel room with my hubby at night and that was exactly what I wanted.

SNORKELLING: They gave us masks/fins etc one day but the next day the attendant on duty lied to us and told us they don’t offer masks. Not sure what that was about!
PADDLE BOAT: We took it out IT worked fine. What else is there too say? Many people enjoyed the kayaks and catamarans...we didn’t partake.

GYM: Unusable. Really bad shape.

Would I go back, actually...I’m thinking about it...despite the negatives, the beach was lovely and our room was SPOTLESS...price was right....have gravol for the bus ride and we had and will bring again mosquito repellent for the night...we’re thinking maybe April.

Brisas Covarrubias is truly a LOVE IT or HATE IT kind of a place. You just have to go on your own to decide. If you do go, be prepared.

Bring your own alcoholic beverage glass because they will fill it for you and the hotel cups are TINY disposable ones.
Bring gravol for the bus ride if you need it
Bring mosquito repellent- DO NOT FORGET...and some Afterbite. Bring your salad dressing or maple syrup if you need to Bring snorkelling gear in case you get the liar attendant...seriously....if it’s that important to you, bring it or go to a 4 star or above.

Do your research and make your choice! If you want a 5 star beach, a 3 star room, with 3 star food, but maybe 2 star service and amenities, then Brisas Covarrubias is for you!

• Liked — Beach, coffee, clean room
  • Disliked — Service, mosquitos,
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Hotel Playa Pesquero
Hotel Playa Pesquero
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,517 reviews

Been to Brisas Covarrubias Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK