See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 September 2018

Room toilet facilities- We had a choice, after wiping ourselves following use of the toilet, we could either use the small household bin next to the toilet to dispose of the soiled tissues (and by the way, the bin wasn’t changed daily.) or step away from the toilet and get in the shower to wash off the excrement and other bodily fluids secreted when relieving ourselves. I wouldn’t expect this in a two star facility, let alone a supposed four star establishment that according to your website site offers a ‘a wide range of comfortable and cosy accommodation units that will ensure that all guests have a pleasant stay’. Please compare the photos we took of our room with those shown in the advert for the Zante Imperial. I did ask to be moved on the Sunday when the realisation of the primitive room facilities became only too apparent.

Guest relations was a girl of no more than 20yrs of age. I explained that our rooms were no where near the 4* I was expecting and she confirmed that all rooms in the Imperial are the same!!

So allow me to illustrate to you our experience at the complex.

No room service.
No laundry service
No tea/coffee making faculties in the room
No complimentary water in the room
No complimentary bath robes, slippers
No complimentary shampoo/conditioner/body wash/shower cap, etc
Drinking glasses never replaced.

Smell of raw sewage permeates through the whole resort 24/7. Especially outside the Imperial reception area and the on-site shop where it can be overwhelming . Indeed, the area outside the shop and inside is Nauseating and it's quite difficult to spend any time in there without feeling physically sick. My wife and our youngest son could not bring themselves to walk by it, let alone go in. I went in twice, just to buy water to clean our teeth as given the sanitary conditions, we did not trust the running water.

Reception - indifferent. Complain about anything and the response is a set of shrugged shoulders. Apparently, no Managers available to discuss issues.
Chambermaid service that mops the floor and makes the bed and that's it. Forget actually tidying the room, this just never happened. By the way, no mattress covers on any of the beds, just a sheet therefore, this thin layer of cotton separates the sleeper from the thousands of other guests who previously slept on the bed. Broken bed in our son’s family room
Towel change very hit and miss. Had to ask at least 3 times during our 7 night stay for clean replacements. Our pillowcases were not changed once. And yes, I could have asked but I would expect this as standard service in a 4* establishment.
No Bureau De Change in either reception. No health club facilities as mentioned in the advert.
Electricity in room cuts off as soon as the key is taken out of the slot. Anything kept in the fridge during the day is not kept cold as all power switches off. So forget about, charging our mobiles while we popped down for breakfast for instance, these had to be plugged in overnight for charging. Only one key per room.
Food is average at best, same choices every day for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. No tea/coffee offered during lunch or dinner, all machines are switched off. One evening they had Pizza, however, the queue to get to the hotplate was like waiting outside Wal-Mart for the Boxing Day sale!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank 121michaelw
Kasnakidis K, Διευθυντής at Zante Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Dear our guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your sincere comments with regards to your recent stay at the Zante Imperial hotel.
Regarding the points mentioned in your review that need improving, I would like to inform you that they have been duly noted, with the very best intentions and we thank you for giving us the incentive to improve and enhance our products and services. Regarding our Guest relations officer, she is older than that and has an experience for a position. We provide our guests the rooms the ones they have booked with us. We do provide laundry service and it can be organised in the reception. And also, in every bathroom there is a gel body wash and also a soap for hands.
Obviously not all hotels are suitable for everyone and a hotel which is perfect for me might not be for someone else and vice versa.However, as you have probably already read in here or elsewhere there is the vast majority of our guests who does find the hotel good or very good so at least we know that we do some things right. Of course there is always room for improvement and that is what we try to do. The Bureau De Change you can find in Zakynthos town. There are health club facilities - we have a fitness room which is in our resort in the Palazzo hotel, and, it is free of charge. Regarding the tea/coffee, you can find these drinks in our 3 pool bars and a beach bar during the day! Our restaurant gets busy and especially during high-season, but you can always come earlier to avoid the peak hour.
We would like to thank you once more for expressing your opinion here on Trip Advisor and we hope to have the chance to welcome you again in one of our Ionian hotels in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

I'll start with the positives:

- The pools: The kids loved the pools and spent most of their time in them. They stay open into the night and are lit up. Note the slides are only open between 12-2 and 4-6 daily but this was enough for my kids and the queues were never too bad. They got multiple goes
- The beach: Lovely beach, clean, sandy, plenty of space, warm sea that doesn't get too deep for ages
- Food: Variety was good, no one went hungry. Not everything was particularly tasty(!) or very hot, but keep an eye on what's being brought out and it works out okay. The desserts were surprisingly tasty too
- Balcony: Lovely balcony space and if you faced right, you had a good view of the sea

The not so good:
- Smell in places. I've been to Greek islands before and am aware of their sewage systems, but this was something else - really nauseating at times. It wasn't everywhere, especially bad around the shop and on the walk past tennis courts to the main food area.
- Sickness: Two of us got sick and a lot of other guests we spoke to also suffered from vomiting/ diarrhea. All lasted around 24 hours. Something doesn't agree with many people - is it the food? The local alcohol? The smell? Take Imodium, you may well need it
Steps: It's on the side of a mountain and there a re lots of steps to get anywhere - rooms, bars, restaurant, pools... And especially the beach. If you aren't fit, healthy or able-bodied, I would avoid. There is a lift that takes you half way to the beach, then its four flights of stairs. The advertised lift/ cable ride wasn't on during any point of our stay.
- Our room: It was on the shabby side, with broken floor tiles, old furniture, a constantly dripping air con unit (leading to a big puddle and the floor and a damp patch on the wall!) I had to request towels as they were removed and not replaced one day. Rooms in Greece are typically basic, and this one was certainly that. The whole place could just do with a good deep clean and tidy up/ modernisation. It wasn't bad, just not great.
-Beach bar: Ridiculous that all inclusive guests have to pay for the beach bar and for sun loungers at the beach. Then when the (so-called) entertainment happens down there, it's clearly a ploy to make more money. So we avoided. A/I should mean A/I. This needs addressing.

All in all, it isn't somewhere we will be returning to, but we had a good time and considering the price, it wasn't bad value. Staff were mostly friendly, especially reception.

Stayed: August 2018

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Zante Royal Resort for your recent holidays. We also thank you for your comments here on Trip Advisor and for your time to share your opinion with the rest of the viewers.
We are very pleased to read that you were satisfied with the hotel in general and I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our food, service, the pools and most of all our staff. Regarding the steps, yes there are many stairs, but you can always avoid them by going around or you can use our lifts. It is written in description and we inform our guests that the beach bar is not a part of AI program. We have three pool bars on the territory of the resort which can be enjoyed for AI drinks. The entertainment organised by animation team is always happening by the big swimming pool with water-slides, only on Sundays when we have ''Greek night'' they go down the beach.
I would like to thank you once again for your constructive criticism and I really hope you will return during one of your next holidays to one of our Ionian Hotels.

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

BEWARE!!! We arrived at the Zante Imperial hotel and the single word to describe this complex of 3 hotels which include Zante Royal Resort and Palazzo di Zante...is DISGUSTING!!! I am still in shocked at the grimy and dirty environment...and to make matters worse I now know that I swam on their beach which is contaminated by human excrement. SEE Attached 2 photos
1. The stench of human feces permeates the complex!!! There is an open cesspool literally next to reception and the odour spreads into every nook and cranny and right into the Royal Zante where they house the dining area for all the hotels.

2. The hotel room was full of mold, including tiles, bathroom, and the mini fridge!!!

3. The dining area felt like 40 degrees C serving food Buffet style. Needless to say my instinct told me not to touch a single crumb of food...and I was right as I heard countless complaints in reception about children and adults suffering from food poisoning and diarrhea !!! And don’t trust using the tap water even for brushing your teeth!!!

I voraciously complained to Reception. They continuously lied...We got out quickly because it was unbearable. I would rate this worse than the worst hotel experience in Mexico!!! And for anyone who’s been to Mexico you know what I mean. NEVER ever before have I experienced this type of DISGUSTING accommodation in Greece. They should be reported to the health agency and be shut down!!!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank healthyhome1

Dear Guest

Thank you for contributing to the profile of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am truly sorry to read your strong words of disappointment with regards to your stay at our hotel.Unfortunately we didn’t manage to meet your expectations and of course that doesn’t please us at all.
Obviously not all hotels are suitable for everyone and a hotel which is perfect for me might not be for someone else and vice versa. In our case it is clear that our hotel is not good enough for you which I find perfectly normal. However, as you have probably already read in here or elsewhere there is the vast majority of our guests who does find the hotel good or very good so at least we know that we do some things right. Of course there is always room for improvement and that is what we try to do. Regarding your comments about the restaurant, we have A/C in our dining area and we have big variety of food which serve a big quantity of people and we have many satisfied guests. The tap water is not drinkable in all the island of the Zakynthos.We are constantly doing checks with health and safety companies and our resort meets all the requirements of health and safety.
In retrospect it is almost impossible to change your negative impressions. Allow me to apologize for not being able to offer you the type of holiday you had in mind. I can only hope that you will consider coming to one of our Ionian hotels in the future, so that we may have another chance at showing you the service and hospitality for which we are proud of.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Just spent 10 nights at the Zante Imperial resorts and was the worst ever experienced, rooms are not fit for purpose they smell and toilet & shower facilities don't work, doors don't lock and curtains are broken. If your going all inclusive then bad luck drinks are crap and food is terrible (stay away from all the meat dishes). Swimming pools are really bad as the Eastern European's swim in them all night long so never get cleaned and they piss and have sex in the kids pool (pool with the slides). General hotel guests are rude and push women & children around without apologising, staff are hit & miss so good luck when complaining. To top it all off the hole place smells like a sewer works so bring your gas masks.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank HouseJunki

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Zante Imperial hotel for your recent holidays. We also thank you for your comments here on Trip Advisor and for your time to share your opinion with the rest of the viewers. I am really sorry to read that unfortunately our hotel did not meet your expectations and we are sorry you had a bad experience with a room, our hotel guests. Our restaurant has a big variety of food and we have many satisfied guests with all inclusive package. And we are proud of our staff as we always try to provide the best customer service and we are alwaqys happy to hear your feedback and help you with anythin g you need.

Thanks again for all your comments and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you in one of our Ionian hotels in one of your next holidays

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

We booked Imperial Beach for a last minute holiday with our family. We had read reviews on it not being so great but also read some good too, so we were very open minded about the place.
It is 3 hotels in one. Imperial being the worst.

Food- breakfast ok Can't go wrong with eggs and beans, and chocolate pancakes for the kids. Nothing good to say about the food for the rest of the day or the food hall. Partner had severe d&v for 12 hours and he wasn't the only one we heard of other holiday makers had it too. Waiters try their hardest to keep on top of everything. You can see how fed up they are, managers stand around looking very proud of themselves when infact they should be ashamed. Dinning area is not clean and dated, very hot no air con and alot of tables squashed together your practically sitting on top of each other. Snack bar might aswell not exist. Only good thing is kids can help themselves to ice cream. Drinks are heavily watered down except orange/apple juice.

Animation team work with what they've got. It is very poor, day and night! Kids disco is not on until 9.15pm. Very late for little ones for me personally.

Lift to the beach has been out of order throughout the whole of our stay. Only access to the beach is down a lift to a certain level..but still 4 sets of steep steps to go down. This was the same for our room to, not ideal with 3 children. We could not just nip back to our room throughout the day.

I could go on.. but to round off I would not return to this hotel. We have made the best out of our holiday and enjoyed the sunshine as it was a late deal. Also to finish Majority of holidaymakers are rude eastern europeans who clearly dont know how to use their manors and do not know how to behave around children, being sexual with each other in and around the pool. Life guard is more interested in his appearance and tanning his 6pack. Certainly not a 4 star. More like a 2 and that's being generous.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family