“Aparthotel, but not a resort” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Miguel Park & Esmeralda Mar Apartments

San Miguel Park & Esmeralda Mar Apartments
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Aparthotel, but not a resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

I doubt about the rating, since it is not a bad place to stay after all. But "average" is what it is and I do not mean that in a bad way, but it just does not stand out.
We stayed in an apartment and had also rented a car. I strongly suggest you to rent a car when you are in Ibiza, and if you stay in Sant Miguel it is practically a must. There are some bus stops but why would you bother? Driving around the island is very easy and traffic is relaxed - not at all like in mainland Spain.
The apartment is spacious and the beds are OK. Kitchenware is very limited and torn so we decided to go out for dinner and lunch, even though we had planned to make our own dinner to save money. The apartment had a large private terrace for sunbathing.
It is an aparthotel and not a resort! Do not go here if you plan to spend your entire day at the pool. Everything is there: 2 swimming pools, tabletennis, tennis courts, entertainment. But the pools are simple squares and the area is not very appealing. If you like to spend days at the nearby beach, the Esmeralda Mar might absolutely be a good choice.
I think the staff were nice. We dealed with 2 different persons at the reception desk and they took their time to give us information about day trips. The girl at the bar was also friendly.
We did not have an all inclusive package but just the apartment. There are some restaurants in both San Miguel and Port de Sant Miguel. It being off season some were closed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Retiaria
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I read in another review that the stuff had a bad attitude but this was a mild description compared to what I experienced. I didn’t see 1 staff member smile the whole time I was there. On my first night I walked into the dinner hall at 12:00am to get a glass of water when I was shouted at by a staff member saying I must speak to him first. He reluctantly poured me a glass of water and told me the bar shuts at 11:00pm (This was a Friday night).

On my last day I had a friend join me for lunch. Having already removed my wrist band I was chased round the dinner hall by the waitress demanding to know where my band was (she had seen me there for the last 5 days) she came back 5 mins later furiously pointing to a list which didn’t contain my guests name and demanded 12 euros for my guests dinner. I was happy to pay. I told the waitress to charge it to my room. We left the dinner hall and headed to the beach to enjoy my last few hours when the waitress chased us out the hotel and demanded I pay now. Not having any cash on me and not wanting to face the climb back to my room (Hotel is built into the mountain steps and slopes everywhere, not suitable for buggies or elderly people) I repeated “please charge it to my room” with this she ran off. Halfway to the beach a car pulls up and a male staff member jumps out and starts shouting at my friend in Spanish. I asked him to stop and talk to me to which he replied I must pay the 12 euros. Again I told him to charge it to my room, when he replied he didn’t trust me and was going to call the police. I told him to go ahead as I had done nothing wrong I would be on the beach waiting. No police arrived and I’m not surprised.

I booked this hotel as all inclusive and to use the wifi for work, but the wifi did not work for me and the staff didn’t attempt to help me get it working so I had to pay to use the common pc 1 euro for 10mins, so I didn’t get much work done. (It had worked for me in three different areas of the island). I also only had 2 drinks the whole time I was there as the climb to my room was just too much to endure each time I wanted a drink.

Im not 1 to discriminate I did enjoy the food and I was upgraded to a room with a sea view on arrival which was lovely although it didn’t get one drop of sunlight all day.
I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone unless you are willing to put up with gruelling climbs, no sun and bad attitudes.
SWF 30 UK

Room Tip: not a sea view if you want sun
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank kelly120873
Kearny, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

You obviously pay for what you get and after a horrible night at Punta Arabi and countless minutes on the phone with hotels.com we got the reservation changed to this hotel and boy was it well worth it. This hotel was exactly what we were looking for! In Ibiza it's impossible to get a chain hotel so you must get a private hotel. This hotel was definitely away from the Elvissa area and away from Playa de Bossa but it's less than 30 minutes away, I would def. recommend rentinga car bc you will pay more for a cab back and forth than a car. The cave nearby was fabulous and the hotel staff was super friendly and very helpful. We rented a room for 4 people and we got 2 different rooms that connected inside one room and we had 2 different rooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 balconies, 2 kitchens! This is not a top of the line hotel but much better than Punta Arabi which was the sight of a horror movie - this place even has free parking and free wifi! This is the place to stay!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lissette0708
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

the breakfasts we were offered were quite good, 3 diferant sausages, boiled, scrambled and fried eggs, bacon, beans, toast, bread rolls cereals, smoked salmon and champagne on the sunday. allways friut and salads. lunch and dinners were ok lots of choice, typical day would be chicken, turkey, beef, veal or chicken in sauce and a diferant fish every day. tuna steak one day cod in tomato, battered cod, pasta and rice chips or jacket potatoes. thursdays menu had a spanish theme piella and canaloni but still had chicken and fish if you didnt like that. the drinks were ok the lager was nice but the wine was awful. you could have local spirits eg vodka, gin, rum, brandy ect with coke, lemonade or fresh fruit juice.
the rooms were clean and had a good shower plenty of hot water. beds were comfey. fridge,microwave two boiling rings and a kettle.there were a lot of german guests but they were friendly if you spoke to them and the children were very well behaved we got on well with them. there isnt many shops or bars so if you dont want to sit and watch the entertainment in the hotel there wasnt anything to do at night, the entertainment wasnt realy any good, we hired a car 150 euros for 6 days and we drove out to other places every day. its easy to drive on the island the roads are quiet. we had a nice chilled out holiday and would stay again but only for a week, i think you would go stir crazy if you had to stay 2 weeks.

Room Tip: some of the rooms were up a steep hill .
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank sandra b
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

Last year we stayed at cartago with Thomson but found a good deal for San Miguel Park via hotels4u so opted for these. The studios are dated but comfortable and okay for a base. We went all inclusive and have to agree with some of the other reviewers on certain points. The food was okay at times but limited choice but the breakfasts were awful with little or no choice so we opted to eat out for breakfast 5 days out of 7 and if anyone fancies a full english here then your out of luck, it is usually continental with maybe an egg thrown in.
Soft drinks, ice cream available all day for kids. Of an evening drinks were served in proper glasses which for all inclusive is quite rare!. You can get vouchers for the beach bar but like others have said she is the most miserable barmaid in ibiza. Even though we had 8 vouchers between 2 of us she refused us 3 beers.
The entertainment was awful and is done in 3 languages which makes it slow and boring although 2 nights they had external acts which were better!. This hotel is aimed towards germans and the week we stayed nobody spoke to anybody and it was 5 days before we seen another british couple everybody was miserable so thankfully we could go to caseys irish bar of a night to actually mix and enjoy ourselves!!.
Would I stay here again?- probably not unless I got a deal that couldn't be bettered and used it only as a base. Luckily after a week here we had 3 nights in san antonio to look forward to if it would have just been a week here it would have been a relaxing break but pretty lifeless. San Miguel is a great place but i would go to cartago or balanast.

• Stayed September 2011
7.5 km away
Apartments Del Rey
Apartments Del Rey
#7 of 9 in Portinatx

Been to San Miguel Park & Esmeralda Mar Apartments? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK