All reviewsbeach cottageforest viewmain buildingtalcum powderincredible beachindian oceanali barbour's caveseafoodsea breezespent two nightscrabfollowing morningoctopusbeach boysprawnswhite beachstandard room
Reviewed 20 September 2017

When you arrive at the Nomad you are instantly blown away by the view of the beach from reception. White sands and the bluest sea as far as you can see, you just don't expect it to be everything it is in the pictures but it really is - even better, too.

The people at the Nomad are also some of the most hospitable, kindest members of staff I've ever come across. They bend of backwards for you, and at first being the cynical Brits we are, we just assumed it was for tips, but you soon come to learn it's something that's barely even crossed their mind. When you do tip them they are SO surprised and grateful.

THE FOOD - at both The Nomad's public restaurant and private fine dining restaurant is incredible. Such a wide variety on offer, but all completely perfected. You could eat something different every night and never be disappointed with you choice - and the same goes for the wine list too.

Yes, the beach boys can be a nuisance, but don't be put off walking along the beach, you only need to tell them sternly once and they'll leave you be, and remember not to bother you again.

It's so peaceful and quiet, not overrun with tourists at all.

Absolutely recommend booking an evening at Ali Barbour's Cave - one of the best meals and experiences of our lives.

Definitely also book a massage in the spa, really good value for money and such a treat on a cloudy day.

Honestly, don't think twice. This place is incredible and there is so much to see.

Room Tip: Absolutely stretch to book a sea front cottage, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
dianibeachboy, General Manager at The Sands at Nomad, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Thank you so much for your exceptional review! We are very happy, that you have enjoyed your honeymoon with us here in Diani Beach! We hope, that we be able to welcome you back soon!! All the Best!!

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

The hotel's best feature is its location next to the beach. The Diani beach offers soft sands. The beach is a common beach and so is not free from people selling local made trinkets or trying to get you to book boat trips or take camel rides.

The rooms would generally not be satisfactory. They are quite old. The bathrooms could definitely use some refurbishment. The breakfast areas on one hand offer lovely views of the beach but on the other hand spoils the experience due to all the flies swarming around your plate.

The food quality at the restaurant is very average and the service is very slow.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
dianibeachboy, General Manager at The Sands at Nomad, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review! In Kenya all Beaches are public, but we have a code of conduct agreement with our responsible beach operators in front of our hotel, to treat our guests friendly and respect their privacy. Other parts of the beach are not included in this code of conduct, as there are other operators involved! Our restaurant is on open air restaurant and thereore it can happen (depending of the season) to find insects -like flies-coming to the restaurant. This is unfortunately not avaiodable, but is not happening on a regular basis!

Reviewed 4 September 2017

My stay at the Sands was disappointing because I was expecting a true 5 star hotel, but the Sands is not. The ONLY 5 star aspect of the hotel is the staff. They are extremely friendly, helpful and tried very hard to address the issues I had. My main issues were:
- at night, you will hear many frogs. And they will keep you awake. They're loud and annoying. Obviously, the hotel cannot control this but it is something to know before arriving
-on night 1, I settled in to a VERY uncomfortable bed...like rock hard. The staff came and gave me two mattress pads which helped. But once again, this fell below my 5 star expectations - I would expect a plush foam mattress given I paid over $200 a night, and if you dont have that, at least put the mattress pads on before the guest arrives
-the food in the restaurant is terrible. It is tasteless and barely edible..and very very overpriced
-On both mornings that I stayed at the hotel, I was woken up by loud construction. At 7 in the morning. Why on earth, would you think it is okay to have construction at 7 am at a resort where people are relaxing and most likely want to sleep in. It was insanely loud and felt like they were drilling directly into my bedroom
-no luxury amenities in the bathroom were provided. Its all rather no frills.

Overall, I was completely underwhelmed and disappointed given the hotel says its 5star and charges 5 star rates.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank A K
dianibeachboy, General Manager at The Sands at Nomad, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about our hotel. I am sorry, that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We tried to help you by changing your room after your arrival to the first floor. The mattresse is a standard hotel mattress and if it is too hard for our guests we do provide a softer cover mattrass on top! Regarding the food I am very surprised to hear, that you did not like the taste! Unfortunately you have not informed any of our Restaurant Manager or Supervisor about it, so we could have had the chance to find out what was wrong with it. Most of our clients do enjoy our style and preparation of dishes!! The good news is, that our pond- home of our fish and frogs- has been removed- this had to do with the noise you experienced. I appologize for this inconvenience, and hope that our future guests will not have to complain about the frog concert in the evenings!

Reviewed 30 August 2017

The beach were the hotel is located is beyond gorgeous. It is situated in the less populated area of Diani beach, so you may expect a calm environment. You could be a little annoyed by the sellers walking up and down the beach all day long, anyway. There is a security man in the hotel to control them, which is a little bit ackward, but required, I reckon.

The hotel facilities are quite nice: the beach area was relaxing and quiet; the restaurant by the beach was very good, with an impressive decor. Also, it is open all day long, which is excellent.

The service is good, too. Most of the employees are polite and welcoming.

I was less impressed by the rooms, though. We stayed in regular rooms (not the suites, nor the cabanas), and I am afraid they were too regular. The bathroom is very little, the shower is only semi-closed, so the water went everywhere every time we took a shower. Also, there were no ammenities, only dispensers, which I find a little off for an upscale accomodation.

Finally, there were several screaming little frogs in a little pond by our room which made going to sleep a little more complicated than it should have been.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review! We are in the process of removing the pond since we received too many complaints regarding the frogs noise! So for your next stay you will experience a more quiet night!! Hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2017

An interesting trip here for sure! Where do we start. A wonderful setting with a magnificent beach and delightful waters. One of the best beaches I have seen on my travels. Yes, you get hustled by the locals but this is something that can be handled and you have to admire the persistence. The gymnastic team on the beach by the restaurant were great with our 11 year old son who also had a great time scuba diving with turtles, stingrays and much more!

The hotel has some great staff led admirably by Richard was very helpful after we had an issue with our room, this was handled with a lot of care and we were delighted with the solution even if a Baboon did open the door and enter our new room while we were just outside! Lock your doors and don't leave food out! We were also treated to a lovely meal on the beach.

Locally Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant is a unique "must do" The massages in the hotel are also excellent

I like the size of this establishment and the personal touches on offer. We would certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Many thanks for your positive review! I am very happy, that you have enjoyed your stay with us! Looking forward to welcome you again soon!!