“Beware of the retired owner!!”
Review of Diani Sea Lodge

Diani Sea Lodge
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I have never before written a negative review for Tripadvisor as I tend to think people generally moan over the slightest thing.

However, on our first night at Diani Sea Lodge after enduring a five hour flight delay and a further delay transferring from the airport we decided to watch the after Dinner entertainment. My mother-in-law, who had badly swollen ankles from the exhausting trip, rested one foot on a vacant outdoor and weather beaten chair. Within minutes an elderly German man approached us and told her to take her foot off the chair. I was completely gobsmacked and told him to push off and leave us alone. I managed to refrain from swearing at him. Just who did he think he was talking to us like that when we weren't harming anything or anyone? The next morning he was waiting for me in reception and told the staff to phone the police because I dared to answer him back the previous evening. The duty manager arrived and said she knew we hadn't done anything wrong but she found the situation difficult as the elderly man was the retired owner who lived at the hotel with his family. He clearly had a problem with me and so to avoid further ruining our holiday I offered to apologise to the man, which I did. This alleviated the problem but beware of this man and don't put your feet up on any chairs! I am not aggressive, I am a 67 year old pensioner on holiday with my wife and mother-in-law.
Anyway, the hotel is otherwise pretty good. The staff are amazing, the food is quite good (especially breakfast) and the rooms are very basic. I paid £100 per week extra for a superior room and the only extras we had were a double bed and a hairdryer!

One other important thing. The hotel appears to condone both male and female prostituition. We witnessed an elderly woman with a young Masaii man as her constant companion for the duration of her holiday. We were told by a member of staff that Masaii men and women were available for a daily rate. This gave the hotel a "seedy"atmosphere.

Unfortunately, because of our bad experience with the retired owner, I would not return to Diani Sea Lodge and wouldn't recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank nicciandderek

Reviewed 14 February 2011

Stayed for two weeks between Jan 26 and Feb 10, 2011. Superior rooms very basic. No fridge. Air conditioning either on or off. (No regulation). Staff friendly but if you like English company not for you. Evening entertainment not bad and food ok.
Went on a four day safari during the first week which was mind blowing and decided to do a two day safari in week two. My patner and I booked when we arrived with JT Safari's . They picked us up from the Hotel Gates at a pre arranged time for the short trip to their office to discuss the Safari and then dropped us back at the Hotel. The Safari was fantastic. Patrick our driver was outstanding and very Knowledgeable.
The second weeks Safari we went for a two day and asked for Patrick again.
If you go to the Voi Safari Lodge make sure you lock your windows when you go out or the Baboons will rob you. Took all our snacks. Also make sure you take your mobile phone/Valuables with you as my partners phone went missing.Not down to the Baboon's.
The beach at the Hotel was lovely and the sea warm. Pitty about the beach boys. Just tell them you already booked your Safari from home if they pester you. Seems to work. Overall Hotel not bad but the Safari's fantastic. I would recommend JT Safari's to anyone looking for a safari.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlennTurner
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I could not recommend this hotel high enough. The staff were brilliant! They couldn't do enough for us. Food was great, entertainment was fantastic (especially the acrobats), weather was gorgeous!

I went there with my partner and we had the best holiday we have ever had together. We did everything, glass boat trip, Safari, visited the snake farm, went to the Colobus Monkey rescue center, played beach football against the beach boys, went to Ali barbars cave restaurant (highly recommended) and much much more.

The naughty monkeys are so funny and I think this is one of the highlights for this hotel, we even had baboons walk through the hotel one day!

Honestly this was a fantastic experience!

4  Thank Meganero81
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Stayed at the Sea Lodge 7 - 15 Jan. I must say it is a fantastic hotel, staff are great, our rep however wasnt. However, the staff do tend to serve the German customers first, who unfourtunatley do not understand the word que! The beach is beautiful but the beach boys can be a pain, they do eventually leave you alone. The food I thought was excellent - however on the third day of our holiday, I got a severe stomach bug, with severe very painful cramps, I though oh well it is in Kenya, BUT I stayed in a remote part of India and used bottle water for everything even brushing teeth same as I did here, no Ice etc,,, but I still caught a bug - the hotel restuarant manager did note it which I though was good, but I then went on to find that a large amount of people had also caught this - upon my return to the UK, as I still had it I went to the DRs and have been on medication now for weeks!!!! Our rep said he had not heard of anyone else having this - a lie, as the Dr even came to the hotel reception for other guests. Any way, still not sure if it was the food or what it was - never heard back from the holiday company.
Used WT Safaris for a day trip, were told it was 2 hours away would have lovely airconditied bus and cold fresh water. Firstly they were late picking us up, secondly no air conditing - very hot and no water. It also took 4 hours to get there and 4 to get back!!! When we went to pay for the trip they woudlnt accept credit cards and took us to the local back, which we thought was very good of them, only to return to the UK to have our credit card cloned (however, I;m not blaming WT safaris for that) but the safari people there were not exactly truthfull about the trip, and I wouldnt use them again. I did email them but they havent bothered to offer any response either. That said, Kenya is a beautiful country lovely people love weather, but what ever you do, MAKE SURE you get a visa BEFORE you get there, the que is quicker, we waited TWO hours in a stuffy non airconditioned airport, which has put us off ever going back - that and being so ill.

I hope this helps for anyone that may be thinking of going.

5  Thank scratchlondon
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Just returned from a week here and had a really good time. The hotel is clean, the rooms basic but have everything you need for a good night's sleep - air con is fine even in high 30 degree temperatures. Great fun watching the monkeys all around. The food exceeded our expectations for all inclusive. The grounds are beautiful and the beach one of the best we've seen in the world. The beach boys are no problem at all - of course they try to sell you things, but not agressively, there's not too many of them and if you are polite when you say no, they are just keen to have a chat and be pleasant. Do not be put off by having to use the ferry if you go to Diani, south of Mombassa as the wait for us was never more than 20 minutes and it was full of interesting sights.
We did a safari with JT which was absolutely brilliant and I've posted a review on the Kilaguni Safar Lodge site: Definitely go with the best, JT may be slightly more expensive but really worht it for the care and attention they pay to giving you exactly what you want.

3  Thank Myra B