All reviews animation team day safari sister hotel beach boys bahari room third world country shimba hills wasini island pool bar all inclusive drinks evening entertainment mosquito net beach towels walk along the beach keep an eye poster bed tour operator
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed at this resort the last week of July, first week of august and had a great time. I think that everyone expects something different from the next traveller so i will give an account of what our expectations were. My husband and I and our seven year old daughter booked this hotel as a base for our first trip to Kenya. We wanted to experience the safari mainly so chose Diani Sea Lodge for it's price, that it had good reviews and that it was easy to go on a safari from there. After reading many reviews about safari companies we chose to pre-book before we arrived with JT Safaris (jtsafaris@yahoo.com) and went on the five day, Tsavo East and West and Amboseli, this was absolutely brilliant in every way, we saw everything, the lodges that Julius chose for us to stay in were amazing and we found the whole experience fantastic, so much so that when we returned to the hotel we then went on to book a two day safari to Masai Mara, two hour flight and because of the time we were in Kenya..the migration! It was incredible to say the least and alot of this was down to the fantastic organisation of Julius and his team, everything was arranged for us, and we were able to just enjoy ourselves and take in the experience, above all, we felt 100% safe. Diani Sea Lodge was very clean, very basic, large, rooms, great food and very friendly staff. Entertainment was a little 'European' for our liking...Bingo, karaoke, etc etc, but everyone loved it so if it works...don't fix it! The beach boys....Yep....they are a pain!! There is a beautiful beach right there in front of the hotel and the minute you step foot on it you are joined by several groups of locals trying to sell you something, usually a necklace or wood carving. They are only trying to make a living and are not un-pleasant in any way,they are very friendly but very persistent! We came home with so many wooden animals that our living room looks like a curio shop! Just say 'No thanks' and they will go and pester the next un-suspecting couple! All in all, a great time, would go back sometime but there are other places in the world on our wish list first!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank adam f
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We went for 2 weeks back in March.

The staff and hotel are fantastic. A real gem on the coast! The bar staff and animation team do not stop. Thank you all for making our holiday one to remember

Bad things? Not much. The air con was not fantastic but that did not deter us one little bit.

Highly recommend going to to local village, a real eye opener and Sammy our guide was a sweetie.

I miss Kenya, an amazing place to go.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We were at Diani Sea lodge in July.
We had an amazing time. The staff were so friendly and helpfull, the rooms were very clean, the food was good and the hotel was great.
It was great to have the monkeys walking around the hotel, keep your belongings close when they do come around, the staff are there to move them on but they are clever. They know when meal times are. My wife was having breakfast one day when one came up and scooped her jam away, very funny to see.
We did 2 safari's while we were there. My wife booked them through JT Safaris before we went on holiday. Excellent reviews from trip advisor.
Julias and his team were great, they really looked after us throughout. We even had use of his driver to go into town if we wanted while we were there, thanks Benson. We did 1 day in Shimba Hills and 2 days east and west voi. The safari was amazing and I would like to say a special thank you to the drivers Abdul(i think) and David for looking after us. Julias would phone to make sure eveything was going okay. The clincher for us was that you did not have to settle the bill until you had finished and even a nice surorise at the end. It was these personal touches that I would Highly recommend him and his team. My wife even arranged through him a surprise Sport Fishing Trip for me and my son, thanks love, it was amazing and JT was only too happy to help.

Be aware tthough hat there is another person trying to use JT's name and reviews,called Julius Thuvi safaris( www.juliustsafaris.com )

The one you want is :
Julius K. Nzumbi of J.T(JULIUS TACT SAFARIS) (www.julius-safariscom)
THE BEST TOP SAFARI OPERATOR.WILDLIFE SAFARIS IN KENYA
jtsafaris@yahoo.com

The beach was great but the beach boys can be a little intimidating but, once you learn to say no politely, they tend to leave you alone.
I would like to make a special mention to one of them though. " Ali Hemed Mwatsingwa" or Captain Ali. If you need anything from glass-bottom boat trips to some souveniers then he is the man to see. Hi Ali, hope you and the family are well. He took a special shine to Louise and even gave her some Aloa Vera for her skin, no charge of course, very genuine and would even come to talk to you just to say hello. Say Hi to "Banana Joe" for me!!!
We went on a trip to New Diani Children Support Centre, very humbling experience
Overall, the hotel was great, the food was good and the staff could not be more helpfull, a special mention to Mark, Dollar (one more coffee please), Masa, Titus, David and Edward for making our stay special, we will definately come back and see you all !!!!
Thanks
Mark Louise and Anthony

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank dizzylouLossiemouth
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here last year and thought the hotel was lovely, staff were great and there was always lots of food to chose from. We are booked to go back at the end of this month, but with everything that is going on in Kenya (albeit some 200km's away) I was wondering if there are still lots of people holidaying to this part - and if so, do you feel safe? We land at night this time round, which is something I am slightly worried about. If anyone could respond to put my mind at ease it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Kelly.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This is for the Diani Sea Resort.....

What a fantastic place! My husband and I went for our honeymoon on the 5th september for a week. We were greeted by friendly staff, a Swahili dance, floral leis and a coconut with a straw in. What a great start.

Rooms: Immaculate. The bed was sooper comfy, we had been upgraded to a superior room with a fridge, replenished as and when with your choice of drinks. There was hot water at any time we had a shower(although I would encourage keeping shorter, colder showers given the water situation in Kenya) and the view was fantastic. Simple, clean, comfortable, what more do you need?

Grounds: beautiful, floral and very clean. Lizards in the undergrowth which were pretty and horrnbills in the trees. The beach frontage was manned by security in case the beach boys got a bit pushy (the alley to the side of the hotel was a bit intimidating at first but was perfectly safe and lots of bowls, art etc to look at without hassle, and haggle! We got a starting price of £150 for 8 items down to £30) and the sea was warm but refreshing and clean. I would advise wearing shoes just in case of sea urchins! The pool was deep in a large section , had a hammock alongside, plenty of sunbeds and good kids section. As written in an earlier report though (amongst other bemoanings so I took it with a pinch of salt) the pool does turn white to green. My husbands boardies with white bits had green bits by the end of the week so don't wear any posh swimming togs. It did wash out on our return home though.

If you take any clothing/shoes which you would be happy to leave behind, haggle with these too, or simply give it to the local families who really need them. We left vest tops, t-shirts, sock, sandals and cotton trousers as well as sweets and pencils.

Staff: Very friendly, keen to answer questions on local traditions, villages etc. Nothing is too difficult for them to arrange for you and their politeness and humour is second to none. Marcos was great in particular, thank you for making our Diani Beach stay memorable.

Food: Good choice. There was always availability of chicken stewy type things/European dishes to cater for the less adventurous and many fantastic choices of more local, indian influenced dishes which were amazing. Breakfast included lots of fruit and eggs cooked to order in any way you'd like. No tummy troubles either!

Tipping: The amount to tip a luggage porter is about 50 - 100 Kenyan shillings, about a pound, and worth it in the heat! It's ok to carry your own luggage back to the safari truck/bus, however a pound to us is worth a lot more to them - so think about it, and you are on holiday after all! Take American dollars and pounds too, you might get a better deal paying with them as the local rate is much better than we can get before going on holiday for the Shillings.
We took £250 for the week and it was exactly right with tips, drinks on safari and the very good glass bottom boat trip from the hotel.

Stayed at the Voi Safari Lodge, Shimba Hills Safari Lodge and Ngulia Safari Lodge too which were great.

Room Tip: A room at the beach end of the complex may be quieter than those closer to the bar.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple