“Seriously Great Outdoors but Poor Indoors”

Southern Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed 17 October 2017

There is no perfect resort. Each has its pros and cons.
Let's start with the pros:
The outdoors. The spectacular pools and the clean beach, is a high score point. Infact I will give them a straight 10/10. So, if water masses get your zest on, then this is definitely your stop. The hotel layout, the lawns, the pools and the beach blend harmoniously. Its a beautiful place to be. The staff is friendly and switched-on, not to mention their responsive admin office and maintenance crew. On the downside: The menu offering - its way too lean. Food is delicious, though very little variety with very few rotations. If you are a foodie and love the overwhelming array of delicacies, then this might not get your engines started. The showers could do with a little upgrade and the AC was quite problematic. The maintenance crew fixed it a couple of times but it kept stalling. Finally, please be sure to book under the all-inclusive plan. You will enjoy. I will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stephen M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

This place is simply amazing. The biggest draws were the service, the beach and oh -the swimming pool! Our hostess Esther Msula was above a 5* rating. She was other-worldly always ready to help sort issues out. I would have given them a 5* rating but for the internet in the rooms. The signal could be stronger. I don't know about the other rooms by ours didn't have a socket to charge gadgets next to the bed and had to walk to the TV table to unplug something to charge the phone. Please fix that. The TV too was not very diversified for channels and no sports channels.
Would we go back again? Would I recommend it? Definitely YES. On account especially of Esther Msula.
Rose and Kare in room 314 from October 10th.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 October 2017

lots of hotels are great on the pix,but this one was even better.
beach was connected to the garden and the pools.same was the restorants.
everything in the garden was well trimmed and green.beach was great for swimming and walks in both directions.
service was pretty prompt for africa to be.
food was super-tasty in all 4 restorants.
the resort was pretty close to everything.
rooms was clean and ok tv-channels.
we stayed 9 days with half-board.
half-board ment we could choose restorant every day before 12.00.the buffet,the grill by the pool or the italian on the roof-top.
will come and stay again.

Room Tip: great beach,great value for half-board.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thormorch
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I liked this hotel. Everything was ok apart from one lady at the pool bar, she tried showing me attitude. I could see how she was treating the wazungus and how she was treating me, was quiet different. Anyway I ignored her and started dealing with the bar controller guy who was friendlier. It is rather unfortunate how some staff still think highly of wazungus.

The other thing was I wanted to extend my holiday by one day but on asking for the rate it turned out to be higher than the rate I had booked with. I just decided to take my money elsewhere......yet this was customer service week.

Apart from the above everything else was good. The room was good, it was strayed every evening so there were no mosquitoes, the pool staff were very good especially the water aerobics guy (my kids and I really enjoyed the pool), the pools are lovely ( I will treasure that experience) the restaurant staff were good and the two ladies at the reception were kind and very friendly. The food was great.

I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Use a travel agent to book, you will get better rates than booking directly at the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 3 October 2017

It was our second stay at this hotel, and once more we spent great two weeks. Hotel staff is very pleasant and willing to do what you would like. Hotel facility is tidy and comfortable. Food is great, there isn't too many buffet dishes, but cooks at the buffet table are ready to prepare for you delicious fish, chicken or different type of meal by your choice. There is as well nice India vegetarian and delicious corner, for people which likes spicy meal. During dinner can watch you bushbaby Dominic, which like cherry( this cherry you can find at main bar or on cakes at restaurant).
Facility is great, and beach is most beautiful from all Diani Beach resort. And it's true believe me; we walked all around. For these which likes white sand, palm beach umbrella and wooden deckchair and noise of Indian Ocen, this is the best place.
I have to point out one occasion which happened to me during our stay. One day I forget my quite expensive camera at the beach umbrella. I recognise at the evening when I try to pack all items for our safari trip. I went out from my room and running on the beach, see if camera is still there. It wasn't. But immediately came to me security guy asking me what I am looking for? I explained him that I forget the camera. He told me: „we found it and it's on reception“. It was great, and many thanks to staff, and especially to the guard, their behaviour surpass my expectation. I can only congratulate to the hotel staff and hotel management.
If you are looking spend nice holiday at the Africa, please don't miss this. Safari buy at the real travel agency not at the beach. You can find them at the hotel or near hotel on main strip is Diani Beach shopping centre, where you can find two good travel agency.

Room Tip: room with ocean view can be quite noisy specialy during at highest and lowest tide, its near beach.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tom K
southernpalmsbeach, Guest Relations Manager at Southern Palms Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Tom,

Thank you so much for your absolutely terrific review for Southern Palms Beach Resort!

It's such a pleasure to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday during your stay with us. We are so pleased that we were able to make your holiday a memorable success. Thank you also for appreciating our staff and also our security for recovering your camera and handing it over to you.

Our team were delighted to hear that you had such a good time with us and we're looking forward already to welcoming you back!

Thank you once again for choosing our Resort for your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards