All reviews horseshoe bay our honeymoon outdoor shower tree house lunch and dinner private picnic other guests beachfront bure south seas adventures beach front village tour dive master cookies seafood fruit bats the reefs tropical paradise
Reviewed 23 August 2017

I don't take the time to write reviews often, but I had to write this one! We took our 10 year anniversary trip earlier this month and Matangi Island did not disappoint. They have nailed down the perfect combination of luxury and traditional Fijian culture all rolled into one. Everything had a fantastic attention to detail, from the thatch burre's to the variety of available activities (most included in your stay), to the amazing food (every meal was beyond delicious, healthy, and different each day). The outdoor showers were a favorite and the owners and staff are so friendly they make you feel like family. Go on the local private hiking trails, check out Horseshoe bay (this one is a MUST) and check out the local school and village where many of the staff members are from on the village tour (you can donate to the local school at the hotel). I highly recommend this resort, and that's saying a lot because I am fairly picky when it comes to good food and cleanliness!

Room Tip: Treehouse was our favorite room! We stayed in both the treehouse and the beachfront. Both had benefits and some drawbacks. Treehouse is a bit less updated, needs better bathroom lighting and has a smaller bar/coffee area, but the location and outdoor deck area is awesome. Beach front had a better more updated bathroom and bar area but not as cool for hanging out out front. Minimal deck space.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kalls66
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

After searching for several weeks for our honeymoon we came across Matangi and were impressed with its reviews. We stayed here for seven nights.

The remote island is in a picturesque peaceful sun drenched paradise. The first night after I woke from our gloriously comfortable bed I thought I must have died and thought I was in heaven!

The staff were so friendly and went above and beyond. The resort is quiet and perfectly manicured. Our room was spacious and the bed so comfortable. Outdoor shower was an experience in itself.

We had a hot stone massage which was amazing and the staff in the spa were so good I would say the best massage I have ever had.

We went on the Taveuni tour with Serelli and Salla (apologies if spelling is wrong) who were both so funny and passionate about what they do. The tour was so worth it if you get the chance.

We also did the coastal walk on a rainy day and meet Poppa who told us all about his farm and his seven piglets born two weeks ago.

Tim and John were also so helpful organizing food and tours. All the staff were amazing and I had such a great time chatting with them. Jay on the boat was also so funny and entertaining.

The horseshoe bay picnic was so fun- we felt amazing having our own beach and coral reef to snorkel in.

The food was all grown on the island- nothing processed and so fresh. My husband loved the cookie jar that never ended in our room! We had the private dinner on the last night and the seafood was phenomenal. Thank you to Bibi for being so attentive.

This resort is unlike anywhere I have ever been- truly paradise and cannot recommend it enough if you are after somewhere to truly disconnect with the rest of the world and melt into heaven!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beckaust
Reviewed 1 August 2017

My wife & I stayed at Matangi to celebrate her BIG Birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary. We stayed in on of their Treehouse. It provide us complete privacy.
That differentiate this resort from many others is what you are very close to the nature in very relaxed environment. All staff is very friendly and kind.
Resort offer many activities. Some of them are free and some will cost extra. The one we liked the the most was our Picnic at Horseshoes Bay.
You take a 5 min boat ride to opposite side of the island and left alone for 4 hours. For our use were kayaks, paddle boards and snorkel gear. They also bring you hot lunch at your desired time.
On my wife Birthday Day resort presented us with bottle of wine and a cake. On our anniversary day they gave us a Bottle of champagne and another cake. it was very thoughtful of them.
Whole our stay was a joy.

Room Tip: Treehouse is best accommodation at the resort
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kievchicago
Reviewed 9 July 2017

This was a trip meant to help us recharge and renew, and we did just that. I don't think my stress levels have been this low, in ages. We are still basking in the after glow from our time on Matangi. We loved our room, loved the food, loved the snorkeling, loved the scuba diving, loved the spa....and most of all LOVED the people who made it all happen for us. Thank you to everyone at the resort for making this trip one to remember. We also did the private picnic in horseshoe bay, which was a highlight. Having the beach and the bay all to ourselves, having a black tip come visit, and kayaking/snorkeling in the bay, what more can one ask for? We will be back!

Room Tip: All the bures seemed to be in great spots.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RnTCutting
Reviewed 6 July 2017

Very relaxing. Friendly staff. We enjoyed the hikes all over the island. Best feature - the air conditioned, bug free bed!! Most nights in such a locale are hot and sticky - not at the Mantangi Private Island Resort. The resort needs to patent the bed!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple