“Exactly what we were hoping for”

Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guanica
“Exactly what we were hoping for”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We needed to get away and relax, that Copamarina was perfect for us. It was shoulder season and we got to read in dream in the shade of a beach cabana each day, looking out over the quiet beach and blue water. The pools and spas are atmospheric, well-maintained and refreshing. Great service all around, and we met several guests and families who visit regularly and feel like Copamarina is home. We felt totally comfortable all the time -- the resort is beautiful and high quality, and still seemed to us to be without pretense. Nice! Do consider mosquito repellant for the evenings, my husband was fine but even with tiki torches and candles around the bar/outdoor dining area I found it helpful. My rating on the food is just because we ate at the casual dining area (I understand that the more formal restaurant is phenomenal), and I'm a vegetarian. We had a wonderful stay, and will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cad185
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
dAVIE fL.
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My wife and me enjoy the time in Copamarina. The facilities the people in charge the beauty of the environnment are so wonderful that we are ready to ropeat soon. Thank you all . Good tostones and chillo .Very professional hospitality......

Room Tip: second floor unitss are the best vivid view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This review is a little late, but I enjoyed the peaceful tranquility of this trip so much that I'm looking into planning another trip. My boyfriend and I spent a long weekend 4 days 3 nights at this resort in early August, 2011. We had the resort to ourselves! Really, on our first day looking around, we thought we were the only guests! We didn't see other guests till closer to early evening. We had such a relaxing, beautiful experience, we would like to go back this September/October (2012) to celebrate my parents 40th wedding anniversary!

The resort was very clean and beautiful. At all times there were grounds people perfecting the landscape and cleaning. Our room was clean, no frills, but comfortable. We had a garden view room at the far end of the resort. HINT: Every room actually has an ocean view, so you can't go wrong! They do not offer room service, or didn't at the time of our stay anyway. The closest bar to our room was not open. I believe they had just closed it a day or two before we got there signifying the start of their slower season. The pool closest to our room was open which was nice. Apparently, we arrived on the tail end of their heaviest week/busiest season. They had also just experienced a large storm, you wouldn't know because the grounds were pristine but the dock did suffer some damage and had yellow caution tape across the far end. This combination may have been why some of the staff seemed a little "tired", but overall, everyone seemed nice enough. My only slightly negative experience was that we had a very hard time getting the young lady working/waitressing the pool/beach area to actually make it down to the beach to take our order. It was really hot and we were thirsty! I ran up to the bar area to order drinks and verify whether or not that was a service they provided. Then with my drinks in hand I walked up to the girl and showed her where we were sitting, she said she'd come down after she took a break to check on us, but she never did. We were sitting on the beach area closest to the pool and the resort was not crowded. It was disappointing to watch her hanging out at the bar talking to staff and waiting on other people at the pool area just feet away from us just at the foot of the stairs on the sand. Unfortunately, she was there two days in a row. So, for those two days we just got up and walked back and forth from the beach to the to the bar for anything we needed. Please don't judge the hotel's service on that one person though. The third day was a different story. There was another girl working the beach/pool area who seemed more eager and happy to do her job. She checked on the couple of people at the beach and those in the pool area, which I really appreciated. I have to say, being able to relax on the beach or at the pool with a cool drink delivered once in a while was perfect! It really enhanced the beach "resort" experience. It was too bad I could not have enjoyed that aspect on my first two days as well. On the other hand, since I did have to go up to the bar myself several times for water, cocktails, and snacks, I was able to get to know the bartender. I believe his name was Jamie, but I'm not positive. We really liked him! He noticed we were Red Sox fans, being from Boston, he was able to chat with us a little and give us some travel tips. The staff at Alexander's were very professional and pleasant, as were the outside cafe staff. As hot at it was, the lady who we got the towels and snorkel gear from and the guy who I believe usually does the boat trips, were both really quite nice. He helped us out with our kayaks. Due to a recent storm part of the dock was damaged and therefore the boats were not taking people out on excursions. He said it was also due to poor water visibility. I was really looking forward to the snorkeling and scuba diving this trip, but my boyfriend and I took the kayaks over to Gilligan's Island and had a blast! It was actually "closed" as their dock had also been damaged in the recent storm. We snuck in anyway! What a sight! The mangroves housed schools of small fish, I saw a puffer fish, and ended up close and personal with a little barracuda! We really had the little island to ourselves, since it was really "closed" to the public at that time. Even though it was "poor water visibility", the water was actually quite clear. If what we were experiencing was considered poor visibility, then I can only imagine how clear it must be during optimal conditions! I can't wait to go back and snorkel or scuba around their coral reef! The resort beach has some sea grass, but I wasn't put off by it. We walked down towards the public beach and that part of the resorts beach had no sea grass and it was a little deeper, better for swimming. I'd recommend water shoes regardless.

We had the all inclusive plan, which I would highly recommend. I didn't know this when I booked my trip; when the resort is less crowded and during the slower seasons (I believe) the second bar is closed. The outside cafe is not open at night, so you must dine inside at Alexander's. it's a bit fancy. The morning breakfast buffet is not offered when it's slow. That was the case when we were there. So, we were not able to enjoy a casual dinner outside during our stay but the breakfast buffet was available on our first day and it was really good. We would have had it every morning if it had been available. I can understand the resort wanting to consolidate during slow times. We were just not aware that would be the case when we booked, so we were a little confused as to why some things were shut down/not open when we got there. The bartender explained, and then we understood what was happening and why. I can imagine eating dinner outside or being able to step outside your room and have a drink at the bar (at the other end of the resort) may have been really enjoyable as the resort is gorgeous at night as well.

I want to say that this resort is off the beaten path but well worth the adventure of trying to find it. It's a hidden jewel located on a small piece of paradise. If you are an Eco-tourist this is the area for you, as it sits on the Biosphere. We did not have a chance to go hiking down the street at the Biosphere preserve, maybe next time. Looking forward to going back!

Room Tip: Every room seems to have a view of the ocean! Evenings were very quiet and relaxing while we were th...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jaimie d
CT
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I've been to a few resorts/hotels in Puerto Rico, by far this is the best for a relaxing quality time that I have ever been to. I'll be honest for the low price I was not expecting that much or overall an ok Resort, however I was wrong. Actually, it was great- these is the facts:

- Great staff, friendly (in PR is very dificult to find a staff that is friendly and w/great customer service)
-The room- we/got an ocean view and near the main pools- it was really good, clean and very charming.
- The pools were really clean, jacuzzi's- the Hotel is pretty spacious.
- I would consider this Resort for couples (wanting to spend time a great quality, quiete time) or seniors. Theres not that much to do for either young or teens. Like I said is very quiete.
- Rest. food is okay (I have try great seafood in other places of the island) perhaps for burgers and appetizers will be a good alternative to use the rest. - I mean you do not have an option, if you want any fastfood rest outside the hotel- you have to drive a good 10-15 min out.
-The beach- well is not really a swim beach- the water is very, very shallow- it was really clean- but if you want to soak your feet- that will be fine.

I would highly recommend- read a great book or sleep and sleep, relaxing w/some great pina coladas!. Great place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank RozCt
Baltimore
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We (2 adults, 2 children) recently spent our spring break in Puerto Rico. We have traveled to the island several times, but never stayed at the Copamarina. We rented a car in San Juan and made the drive. We loved the resort. The best part was the setting: lovely pools, beaches, and beautiful grounds. The room cost was a real value, and the meals were good and affordable, compared to other resorts we had stayed in. We loved our trip to Gulligan's Island. The staff was terrific. They went out of their way on many occasions to make sure we had everything we needed. We will definitely return for another stay! The resort was quiet at night, but romantic and they had a lot of things going on during a holiday weekend.

Room Tip: We booked the garden room. Regular hotel room with a refrigerator, and high value. Very quiet and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Nancy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guanica
5.4 km away
102.4 km away
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
29.6 km away
Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort

Been to Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK