See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 October 2016

I was keen to book the place for a night for a group of people and after meeting the owner, I felt, this is not going to happen, she was one of the rudest people I have ever met. Was a real shame as the place looks great, but the owners not so great.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank douggie42
Reviewed 24 September 2015

Have been here before and there is no real attractions to speak of. This time however I could not get the owners to help me at all with getting to the farm. I was going to spend time with my brother and his kids and even though it says that you can be picked up from the jetty , I phoned them numerous times in order to do this and left them my number but did not receive one call back. Thanks for nothing!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
9  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We have just spent a wonderful weekend with Mark & Linney at McLeod Ecofarm. We quite simply loved immersing ourselves in the culture of the place. From a wonderful part of our history, looking over the old McLeod Prison site, to the long walks on the secluded beach it went on and on.

The story of the eco farm, being responsible for how we treat the land and the way this can benefit us in the most gorgeous organic food was fabulous to see. The number of koalas we saw on our walks were wonderful, surrounded by their natural environment, healthy and contented. The fresh oysters we shucked on the beach again, was something we had never seen or experienced before.

I would highly recommend anyone to visit this magical place. It's not the Ritz, but has a charm and character that is hard to define. We'll also now be a regular customer at their shop in Aspendale - to continue our gourmet journey at home in Melbourne. We've never tasted produce like it!

Thanks Mark & Linney for letting us into your beautiful farm.

Cheers,
Steve & Kate.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kate B
Reviewed 25 September 2012

An eclectic byodynamic farm in a historic location on the beach, McLeod Eco Farm is run by a very friendly and welcoming couple. French Island is stunningly beautiful in an understated way. Caught in a bit of a time warp, there is no mains electricity and only basic amenities - however I found this added to the charm. Many long walks are available to satisfy your quest for nature (think koalas and abundant bird life); you can really lose yourself in this part of the world. Whilst the grounds could benefit from a couple of working bees and the accommodation is basic, our hosts served up the most amazing food. They were also very accommodating in answering our questions about French Island and the somewhat unique style of management of the farm itself. Easily accessible via ferry from two locations, I would highly recommend this for 'something different'.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kittykat173
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Last weekend my family and a group of friends spent 2 nights at the McLeod Eco Farm. I first visited French Island 30 years ago and I have been back many times. I love the remoteness, the history, the wildlife and the peacefulness of the island. You feel like you are in another world, even though you are just one hour from Melbourne.

Two years ago I cycled with a group to the McLeod Eco Farm and stayed in the prison cells. The prison cells (now called Love cells) have basic facilities, but I enjoyed the novelty of sleeping in the same cells that the prisoners once did. This time, our group stayed at Eve's Guesthouse. It is the former prison officer quarters. My wife and I had a nice room with ocean views. The toilets and showers are shared and there is a communal kitchen and a lounge with an open fire place, which we appreciated during our winter stay.

Our hosts Mark and Melinda were very friendly and helpful. They cooked us a hearty organic meal and the breakfast basket is a lovely treat. Mark took our group on a tour of his Eco Farm. It was very interesting to learn about environmental farming.

I can’t understand the negative reviews on the McLeod Eco Farm. If you are not an outdoor person, if you like to be entertained and like luxury 5 star accommodation, then this is not the place for you. But if you like cycling, hiking or just relaxing in pleasant surrounds, then I would recommend this place. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side of Eve's Guesthouse have ocean views
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends