Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews spanish omelette true home home away from home warm hospitality large garden remember forever home delivery haven of peace terracotta temples flowering shrubs art loving great conversationalist welcoming environment tall trees adorn the walls local delicacies creature comforts
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 October 2021

I'll start by giving 6 out of 5 stars for Nayana Gangooly's homestay

Ans the first star goes for the bed where we had an 8 hour uninterrupted sleep from day 1 in probably the most comfortable mattress in over 50 years of travelling

The place is beautifully appointed, and exactly the perfect place to wind down after cycle touring

Which brings me to the cycle tours around north and west Santiniketan on x 2 Rockriders from Decathlon

The countryside is flat, green, with literally hundreds of watercourses, great roads and brilliant dhabas *with* toilets

Nayana orders meals, but if you are lucky (as we were) the completely brilliant Maku will come up with literally heavenly meals

One trip to be repeated every year!

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2021

Oh,I really hope you will visit more than just ONCE a year! Will research more cycling routes...and the pomelo..don't forget the pomelo.
Thank you so very much for your very kind words. It was indeed a pleasure. Please. Do visit again. Soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2021

Well we again visited Nayana's homestay within a span of six months. This time we enjoyed all the more. Nayana's hospitality ,Ronnie(the doggo) were all present and welcomed us with open arms.Borgi's food(Home delivery) was also one of the highlights. We will definitely come back again and again.My daughter was suffering from altered taste (post vaccination) but Nayana went out of her way to make her feel comfortable. This place is a true Home and not just a stay and IS 500% RECOMMENDED.

Keep the flag flying high!!

Room tip: Choose the AC room when you are travelling during summers.
Date of stay: September 2021
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2021

Swarnankar, Rachna, Moumou, I.always like to say that visitors come as guests and leave as friends. And with you, it's definitely the case. Even Ronnie has withdrawal symptoms after your departure. I know we had a bit of trouble with Mosquitoes. Difficult to control with all the trees around. Luckily they are not the disease spreading variety. However, I'm putting up net screens on the windows in the bedrooms. Maybe this contains them a bit. Fingers crossed. Look forward to your next visit and we can plan some excursions around Birbhum. Many thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 21 September 2021 via mobile

Nayana is an elegant and friendly hostess; in addition we were greeted by a cute & friendly pet dog Ronnie and ever smiling caretaker Maku. The place is spotlessly clean and thoughtfully decorated with all amenities you need for a decent living. There is no television, but no one watches TV while on a vacation. You can expect cheerful evening addas (chat) with the hostess. She has travelled to 55 countries and in no time you will get absorbed in an interesting conversation with her. Lots of books are there. You can relax and read in the balcony or garden. You can order good quality food from a nearby caterer. Quality of food in excellent. We are definitely going to return.

Room tip: You can park your car in the garden
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank drabanerjee
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2021

So happy to have met you two. Delightful adda which unfortunately I missed the.2 evenings I had to desert you.to return to Calcutta. Please, please return. Soon. Need more chats. Do take care and many.thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 14 September 2021

Nayana's Homestay is a great place to stay in Shantiniketan. It is a beautiful property in a good location. Myself and my husband, Abhiroop visited the estate with our 19 months old daughter Abhyalaxmi along with a close friend.

Breakfast and stay both were both delicious and comfortable respectively, thanks to Maku who happens to be Nayana's trusted staff. The room was clean and the property seemed well maintained. One should mention a very important aspect of the property which happens to be its well planned architecture, which allows proper cross ventilation and keeps the rooms comfortable even if one is not using the air conditioning. Food can also be procured from outside and Nayana did recommend some amazing places. Even at the time of writing this review we are still conversing about the kebabs, the thalis and that particular eggplant dish. They were just WOW!

Both my husband and myself had visited Shantiniketan before, but never did we explore it the way how Nayana made us explore. She accompanied us to the historical terracotta temples in the middle of nowhere, the Rajbari ruins and the Ionic columned Durga batis, all of which were not just soul touching but also left both of us speechless. This was across the Shantiniketan & Birbhum region and this must be mentioned that she is also very well acquainted about all the important spots in Bishnupur and Murshidabad. One should at the least stay three days and plan their adjoining trips with her.

P.S- The famous Haat(market) of Shantiniketan is at its grandest in the weekends and it is very close to her estate. If you are not travelling in your own vehicle and even if you are, do avail the services of the Toto Driver Bapon(Toto is a large electric tuk tuk which can more or less comfortably accommodate 4 adults). He is well behaved and is knowledgeable about the history of the local destinations within Shantiniketan.

1  Thank Dia B
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2021

Dear Dia, Abhiroop and Miss Curly mop :)
It was SUCH a delight to host you. Not only was it fun for me as well it was also incredibly informative. You guys with your Fencing, Shooting and knowledge and interest in history was amazing and I'm honoured to have the opportunity to have met you.
First of many visits I hope. Still lots to explore. Looking forward to future Adda sessions.
Many thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 27 August 2021

tl;dr: Lovely property, great location, amazing breakfast & really really helpful and interesting hostess. Just choose this place if you can afford it. It's totally worth it.

Details:
We stayed here in the third weekend of Aug2021. Since I didn't book the place myself, I wasn't sure what to expect beforehand. But as soon as I got off the Toto (thoughtfully arranged by Nayana Di) and took one look at the house and the grounds, I got my breath taken completely away!
"Beautiful" doesn't really do the place justice. It's a two-storey house sitting in an island of lush greenery. The grounds are strewn with huge trees. Mango, Coconut, Batabi-lebu (pomelo according to the internet), Taal (Palm) are the few that I could recognize but I'm sure, actual, literate folks will be able to name a lot of the rest. I especially loved this makeshift bench made out of tree-logs in the garden. And there was this one tree that's just adjoining the house that was lit up by fireflies in the evening and managed to look quite enchanting.
The house itself is beyond impressive. Nayana-Di goes for a maximalist decor and the place is filled with little nick-knacks that she has accumulated in her extensive travels. To paraphrase her: "It's not about what one uses to decorate but how one manages with the stuff one has." And there's furniture that's almost a hundred years old! The walls of our room had this rustic look which I really loved. There's a nice terrace on the first floor where one can hang out and chill as the sun goes down.
Maku who stays on the property made us delicious breakfasts everyday. Do NOT forget to check out her spanish omelette! For other meals, there's a place close by that will send you delicious, home-like food at very reasonable rates. Speaking of reasonable, get the contact of the Toto person Bapon from Nayana-Di and go sight seeing with him. He's punctual, well mannered, well informed, helpful and his rates are quite reasonable.
I have to mention Ronnie, who's the in-house pet and is one of the most friendly and cool dogs I've had the pleasure to meet.
I've saved the most important bit for the last: Nayana-Di herself. She's an amazing hostess. She has a wealth of knowledge and experience and can keep you enthralled with tales of her travels, history of Calcutta and indeed on any subject that you'd like. She's also very helpful. Arranging for an interesting and varied breakfast everyday, making sure we have arranged the rest of our meals, advising us on places to visit and at the same time giving us enough space - she did it all and enabled a perfect vacation for us.
Thank you so much Nayana-Di & we'd love to visit again the next time we're there. Although, this time, I think we'll visit in the winter and try to stay longer than 3 days.

PS: She actually packed "Taal-er bora" & a "batabi-lebu" for us while we were leaving!

Date of stay: August 2021
1  Thank ideep28
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2021

Dear Anushya and Deep. It was such a pleasure to host you. You are delightful. Please do return soon. By the way, the Tree with the fireflies " jonaki" was the NEEM tree:).
Ronnie and Maku would also love to see you soon. Thank you very much for your kind words.