Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews spanish omelette home stay large garden home away from home warm hospitality local delicacies creature comforts yellow house haven of peace flowering shrubs art loving great conversationalist tall trees a wonderful stay tagore family personal touch would love to go back
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 August 2021

This was our second visit to Nayana Di's place with two new additions in the equation: our Son and Ronnie, their pet! The last time we visited there was an instant connect and we bonded over the years. This time as we were planning to take my mom and son for the first time there wasn't any doubt on the place of our stay. Adda till late at night, scrumptious breakfast prepared by "Maku Mashi" and my son's first visual of "jonaki, batabi lebu and kathbirali" all at her homestay amidst Nature.
Not to forget that we were debutants to a newly renovated homestay where the the rooms were tastefully done up in sync with the rustic and ethereal charm of Santiniketan.

Feel free to reach out to Nayana Di and she'll be most happy to guide you and also be a great host to true a homestay experience

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank chaitalim2015
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2021

Come back soon. Ronnie promises to behave.
Hopefully the weather will a little more comfortable during your next visit. Thanks very much for your kind words and support.

Reviewed 25 July 2021

I live in Kolkata, and Nayana's Homestay is now my secret escape. In addition to all of the wonderful things other reviewers have said about Nayana's masterful hosting, I would add that she can also arrange bespoke trips to Murshidabad, Bishnapur, and craft villages outside of Shanti Niketan. She is a consummate hostess, sparklingly entertaining and generous. I will keep going back!

Date of stay: February 2021
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2021

It was wonderful to introduce you to more of Bengal. I'm happy you enjoyed the marvels our state offers. Thank you very much for your kind words. Looking forward to your next visit. Monsoon is beautiful in Birbhum.

Reviewed 29 March 2021

Absolutely elegant and gorgeous.
We just returned from a delightful stay with Nayana and Maku at Nayana's Homestay. In the heart of Shantiniketan, a 3-minutes from Shonajuri'r haat - this is where you should be.
It is actually difficult to describe Nayana's home (and not a house) in a few words - but if I may, you'd be blown away to discover the level of minuteness and care that the owner has poured into her home, to make it an absolutely refreshing place to stay. Full of antiques, terracotta and some really grand furniture - this place itself deserves to be called a destination.

If you are a future visitor, you have a choice from either of two large, fully furnished bedrooms - each with attached baths. Maku, her caretaker, would take care of all your needs. While breakfast is included, you have an option of ordering food through Nayana from a nearby shop called Borgi. I ordered dinners for both my nights and I would strongly recommend you do. The food was really delicious and the Kashmiri mutton that came along with the Mutton thali was absolutely brilliant. Do try ! Noyona & Maku would make all efforts to make your visit memorable.

The house is located on huge land (over a bigha) and has a huge garden in front, full of mango, coconut and other trees. The entire setup keeps the surrounding very cool and breezy. Do make a visit upstairs - it has 3 separate balconies - very intelligently constructed.

If you like heritage, I think you'd enjoy your evening chats with Nayana, who could give you snippets from the old Shantiniketan and the Tagore family (I forgot to mention that Nayana is herself from the illustrious Tagore family itself). Details on that - I leave it to you to discover :-) But otherwise, you'd find yourself surrounded with books of all variety, antiques of all sorts - collected from all over the world, and some delightful paintings. And talking of paintings, one of them actually has a hidden switch at the back (yes! - just like those Dev Anand movies of the 60s).

Pro tips: (1) Maku is a gem. Her sense of embroidery would amaze you. Her creations have a lot of takers even from the international market.
(2) Do not forget to taste the wonderful micro-cookies that Nayana has. They are really different.

Date of stay: March 2021
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2021

Thank you so very much for your very kind words. I'm always very nervous to host guests during Basanta Utsav ( so much can go wrong) but you all were an absolute delight. Wish we had more time to sit and " adda". Next time. Please do visit again soon and I may just cook...:)

Reviewed 24 March 2021 via mobile

I spent the past week in this rustic town in a beautiful homestay run by the multifaceted Nayana, a 6th generation Tagorean. Between jobs is a good time for reflecting and realigning with self. This was the second time I stayed with Nayana in Santiniketan. I had family accompanying me for the first two days, and I stayed on solo for the next 5 days.

Attention to detail is truly her strong suit, and she made sure we were well taken care of. She organized a day out for us with Nobi Da, her trusted Toto driver specifying pitstops which would appeal to all of us - we soaked in the historic houses within the university precincts, visited Amar Kutir and picked up handlooms and hand crafted curios, and visited the Sanibaarer Haat which my mother in law fell in love with. Maku Didi, Nayana's well trained and affectionate house help, made us home cooked breakfasts every single day(poori chola, Spanish omelettes) and ensured we had tea and coffee when required.

Once my folks left, Nayana and I spent time traversing the dusty bylanes of this beautiful town, exploring the temples and ruins of Birbhum district(as a specially curated tour), meeting with artists and potters(friends of Nayana), alums of Kala Bhavan who have made Santiniketan a home away from home. It was wonderful to meet the well known artist duo, Rashmi and Kingshuk Sarkar, and Lipi, the owner of Lipi's pottery studio. I also found my way to Subarnarekha, a book store which sells old and new books, and found a few gems. Nayana treated me to Bellada's melt in the mouth butter cookies, which I purchased by the dozen. She also made me a wonderful dalia khichdi with accompaniments(including chuna mach) for lunch, and a delicious pasta with ham for dinner during my stay. Most afternoons, I ordered home cooked non veg meals from Borgi Da.

Nayana is twice my age and yet we connect like two peas in a pod. Languid mornings and afternoons spent reading and writing in her beautiful, aesthetically done up property really helped calm down my nerves. There are about 25+ bird species to be found on her campus, filled with trees and greenery. We went up to the terrace post dinner most evenings and spent time under the moonlit and starlit skies.

Nayana is a great conversationalist, and a wonderful host. She is great with textiles and supports multiple causes of social impact. She is perceptive and lets you have your space. She is now opening her homestay for month long workcations from April - September, and I intend to go back during the monsoons. Her property now has very easy wifi, and I would absolutely recommend it for short and long term stays.

I have attached a few pictures from my lovely stay in Santiniketan.

Trip type: Travelled solo
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2021

Dear Shruti , it was such a pleasure to host you again after all these years and meet your lovely husband. Thank you very much for your amazing support and encouragement. Wishing you the best for all your new projects and hoping to see you back at Nayana"s Homestay soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2021

These days, "homestay" is a much-abused word in these parts of India. For a property tagged as a homestay, one didn't quite know what to expect -- an aspiring hotel or a toned down resort. Nayana's Homestay restored one's faith in that word. The "Chhota Kothhi" is a homestay in the truest sense of the word: you feel as if you are part of Nayana's household.
The bungalow itself is beautiful, a lived-in and organic space reflecting the owner's eclectic taste. Both the bungalow and its owner could make you feel at home immediately. Nayana is a wonderful host and an excellent conversationalist, ever ready to chat on any and all subjects under the sun. She knows the area very well and can guide you on all things Shantiniketan, from sourcing a "khesh" cushion or a rare book to the best restaurants around.
The homestay's ecosystem also includes Ronnie, the friendly pet, Maku, who could rustle up a mean spanish omlette, and Nobi, a Shantiniketan old hand whose toto you can depend on, night or day. The location of Chhota Kothhi is very convenient: Sonajhuri haat is a stone's throw away, and the Biswabharati campus an 8-min toto ride away.
We spent a very relaxing and delightful couple of days at Nayana's homestay, browsing through her large book collection, listening to her stories, and birdwatching in her large garden. We would love to go back again -- I think there are more nooks to discover in that wonderful homestay.

Date of stay: March 2021
nayana gangooly, Owner at Nayana's Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2021

Many thanks for your very kind words. It was wonderful meeting you and Dhiman. I oft find it difficult to explain what a HOMESTAY actually means and about " Nayana"s Homestay " in particular. Thanks much for highlighting this for future guests. As I like to believe, people come as guests and leave as friends and this is certainly the case with you. Hope to see you back here soon.