1,151 results
All reviews terry and marcello other guests attention to detail perfect hosts our honeymoon scrambled eggs every morning sense of humour dinner reservations old friends beautiful grounds fresh fruit each guest cypress trees course dinner every aspect vineyards and olive groves
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Since this was my first trip to Tuscany region with a small group, I had put a lot of research into selecting just the right place to base our stay. Casa Portagioia met and exceeded every expectation and need! I have never felt so comfortable and safe in a hotel/B & B before. The grounds were lovely, the service wonderful and food gourmet all the way! My clients loved my choice and are planning on bringing family members back. We loved the region, the towns, easy access to all the sights, beautiful scenery. And the Casa Portagioia was just the perfect place to experience the best of Tuscany with terrific hosts! Thank you so much for making us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: I had an apartment but the rooms were lovely also. The apartment doesn't include the breakfast but it can be added for a small fee. With the apartment, there is more space, small kitchen and living area. Could have just as easily enjoyed a room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ibcnusue
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Just returned from an Italian experience through Venice, Tuscany and Rome. The highlight was a too brief stay at Casa Portagioia. I wish our plan had included a much longer stay with Terry and Marcello at Casa Portagioia. It included the best room experience of the trip, the best breakfast of all our stops and a dinner that was probably the highlight of all the many dinners throughout the trip. Beautiful and well appointed Tuscan rooms, fantastic grounds and pool, and the best and most helpful hosts you will ever find. Any future Tuscan holiday will start with Casa Portagioia and will hopefully finish there.

Room Tip: I did not see a bad room. Only real decision is if you have any problem with stairs to a second floor unit.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank david m
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Expectations run high when a place has been voted best B&B in the world two years in a row. As the gates of Portagioia glided open we were like children the night before Christmas. Travel weary, jet lagged children, but curious nonetheless. What makes guests rain Five Stars on Portagoia time after time?
Certainly, the rolling hills, cypresses, and grape vines are pure Tuscany. Marcello greeted us and showed us to our apartment. Appointed with a bedroom, kitchen and television it was pleasant, clean and of a very high standard. For me the first hint we might be in for something special was a small bottle in the bathroom. It contained a combination of herbs to spray on our pillows to help us sleep.
The second hint was far less subtle. Marcello casually mentioned he cooked dinner twice a week, and had reserved a table for us that night if we hadn’t made other plans.
We were offhand at the prospect of meeting other guests. However, as we stepped into the dining room a couple of hours later, it was obvious Terry and Marcello are world class hosts. They quickly made us comfortable – and the banquet Marcello provided was the best meal we enjoyed during our entire month in Italy. Terry’s dangerous humour kept everyone entertained and, we were soon relaxed enough to initiate conversations with people at other tables. It was a truly memorable night.
Breakfast was another beautifully presented feast. The setting was idyllic on the terrace overlooking the garden. Terry visited every table, offering advice to those wanting help with plans for the day ahead. His interest and patience seemed boundless. When fellow guests had a crisis with their rental car breaking down, a tow truck appeared and the situation was solved with minimal drama.
It gradually became apparent Terry and Marcello run much more than a world class B&B. They create an atmosphere in which guests feel part of a special family – one they want to return to year after year.
We’ve booked already for next summer.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Blackman90
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stay here. It's a great experience. The rooms are charming, Terry and Marcello are consummate hosts, and if you have the opportunity to experience one of the dinner nights at the B&B it is a must. We could not have asked for anything more and our stay at Casa Portagioia was the highlight of our stay in Italy. After whirlwind trips through Rome and Florence, the slower pace and wonderful lifestyle of Tuscany were just what we needed to really rest and unwind.

It also has the best fitness center in the world: the roads and trials around the B&B provide very scenic runs and walks as the sun comes up and is a much better way to really see the local landscape than just driving by!

I've been telling everyone I can about them since I returned home. My partner and I are big travelers. Even if I really love a place I visit, I tend to have the attitude that I probably won't go back because there's still so much more of the world to see. Casa Portagioia, though? I'll be back.

Room Tip: The garden rooms have fantastic views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank debuskjt
Reviewed 29 September 2012

From start to finish, this was a great experience! We were 12 friends traveling together, all over 50 with lots of travel experience. We were greeted warmly and shown to our rooms, which were all wonderful. There are two apartments and three double bedrooms on one level and two rooms that walk out to the lawn on the lower level. We were all quite happy with the accommodations, rooms well appointed, very clean and comfortable. Good common space, lovely pool, and beautiful grounds. Breakfast was wonderful, great croissants and fresh fruit of many types, delicious scrambled eggs, ham and coffee. Great start to the day. Marcello and Terry were helpful with suggestions, translations and arrangements and were wonderful hosts. I only wish I could have stayed longer than 5 days!

Room Tip: All great, choose an apt if you want to cook your own meals.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends