• Restaurant
Hotel Kalej Valley(Rinchenpong)
  • Restaurant
Rinchenpong Nest(Rinchenpong)
Agoda.com
All reviewsbagdogra airportnatural settingamazing walklocal cuisinespent nightsbeautiful homestayperfect holidayfirst floormemorable staynearby monasterycity lifehome cookedwest sikkimthe cottagesmomo makingsikkimese foodlong journey
Reviewed 18 June 2016

Far away from the maddening city life and tucked away into the lap of nature lies the Yangsum Heritage Farm near the town of Rinchenpong. Its location enables a clear view of the Mt. Kanchenjunga from its gazebo as well as some good options for nearby village walks over the hills.

Thendup and his team (Manoj, Sayban, Yukila, apologies for not remembering the names of others) ensure that you are given the right information to plan your itinerary around the place as well as making your stay in their farm cottages comfortable. There are four cottage structures in all at the property - one in which the resident team stays in while the remaining three structures accommodate the guests. The cottage rooms are sparsely yet tastefully furnished with attached toilets.

While not offering an 'a la carte' choice, the food during breakfast and meals is very likely to appeal to the taste buds of the guests. It is recommended that the farm is kept as a base location and half day / full day trips or morning / afternoon treks are undertaken to take in the beauty of the nearby surroundings.

Key takeaways are:-
1. West Sikkim is not yet as frequented by tourists as the Eastern part of the state (mainly Gangtok). This offers the required blend of solitude and the feeling of having the nature's bounty all to yourself.
2a. The farm property is located amongst a lot of vegetation and as such one needs to be okay with tolerating the occassional encounters with the wildlife. Over here I am referring to something more scary than the big cats - spiders, insects, leeches et al :-)
2b. The farm property is not a luxury resort - hence no TV, swimming pool or a gym/ club house. However, being in West Sikkim one would hardly want to stay indoors given the inviting outdoors!
3. The terrain being mountainous and the road conditions being what they are, covering more than 15-20 kms in one hour would be highly improbably. Hence planning day trips to nearby places need to be factored in accordingly.
4. Some nearby places for sightseeing include:- the Pemayangtse monastery, Rabdentse ruins & Khechopalri lake near Pelling (approx. 65 kms away); Buddha park, Maenam hill near Ravangla. One can also undertake good walks on the nearby hills in the direction of towns such as Legship.
5. In case of any questions / support needed for deciding on where to go during the stay, seeking Thendup's and his team's advice would considerably help.

Overall, we had a great experience and would love to visit the place again!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2016

This home stay was recommended by a friend of a friend (thank you Pema) I was immediately made welcome and a young lady of the family back on break from University has aleady taken me for a walk around the local homesteads that are a part of this hillside. On return from my walk I was offered filter coffee which I am drinking now and it is yummy. The Octagonal cottage room is huge and smells of the beautiful wood it was built from. Immaculately clean and now time for a shower. A must for any visitor to West Sikkim!

Room Tip: The Octagonal Cottage will have views of kangchenjunga when the cloud clears
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2016

The owner, Thendup, is a wonderful, warm, helpful host. The farm has been in his family for generations. I had a view of Mt. Kanchenjunga right outside my window in a beautiful octagonal cabin, all built from wood from the farm. Delicious home cooking with local organic food. Wonderful day hikes through the forest and villages, visits to the local monasteries. The people of Sikkim are very special: peaceful, generous, friendly... buddhist prayers flags everywhere. I felt completely safe and comfortable traveling by myself as a solo woman.
Few tourists!!! go now !!
Also, the driver , Raju, who met me at the train station and drove me 5 hours up to the farm is wonderful man and I will never forget the young guide who took me on a long hike which included list to his family village . These people, this place, will be in my heart forever. Of course , i want to go back.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank janewickman
Reviewed 3 February 2016

My Husband and I both had a simply fantastic time at Yangsum Heritage Farm.

The rooms were all very clean and the food was simply excellent. The host, Mr. Thendup Bhutia was extremely helpful in helping us plan our 3 days in Rinchenpong. He also showed us around the farm and gave us a tour of their kitchen garden. We did a day trek from the farm until the old monastery and back. This trek was very invigorating and we got a glimpse of the village life, the forest and the mountains! The guide provided from the farm was very good.

On our last day, we were able to get a breathtaking view of the Kanchendzonga from the window of our cottage! The window is opposite the bed and you get a view of the mountains right from your bed.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

I spent a couple of nights here, Tashi had organised a pick up from Bagdogra and thoughout my stay I was so well looked after!

Lovely people, yummy food (they catered to all my vegetarian needs) and an amazing walk with Prakash! A beautiful walk with beautiful people.. Welcoming into their village and homes.. Walking through forests, monasteries, schools, market places, a bungalow built by the Brits once upon a time .. Having tea with a family and even some momos at a fast food place.. Indian hospitality at its best!!! The little girl in the school was my highlight.. So so cute!

Sikkim needs a few days.. So if planning to come.. Do stay, a short 2 day trip just does not do it justice!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo