Far away from the maddening city life and tucked away into the lap of nature lies the Yangsum Heritage Farm near the town of Rinchenpong. Its location enables a clear view of the Mt. Kanchenjunga from its gazebo as well as some good options for nearby village walks over the hills.
Thendup and his team (Manoj, Sayban, Yukila, apologies for not remembering the names of others) ensure that you are given the right information to plan your itinerary around the place as well as making your stay in their farm cottages comfortable. There are four cottage structures in all at the property - one in which the resident team stays in while the remaining three structures accommodate the guests. The cottage rooms are sparsely yet tastefully furnished with attached toilets.
While not offering an 'a la carte' choice, the food during breakfast and meals is very likely to appeal to the taste buds of the guests. It is recommended that the farm is kept as a base location and half day / full day trips or morning / afternoon treks are undertaken to take in the beauty of the nearby surroundings.
Key takeaways are:-
1. West Sikkim is not yet as frequented by tourists as the Eastern part of the state (mainly Gangtok). This offers the required blend of solitude and the feeling of having the nature's bounty all to yourself.
2a. The farm property is located amongst a lot of vegetation and as such one needs to be okay with tolerating the occassional encounters with the wildlife. Over here I am referring to something more scary than the big cats - spiders, insects, leeches et al :-)
2b. The farm property is not a luxury resort - hence no TV, swimming pool or a gym/ club house. However, being in West Sikkim one would hardly want to stay indoors given the inviting outdoors!
3. The terrain being mountainous and the road conditions being what they are, covering more than 15-20 kms in one hour would be highly improbably. Hence planning day trips to nearby places need to be factored in accordingly.
4. Some nearby places for sightseeing include:- the Pemayangtse monastery, Rabdentse ruins & Khechopalri lake near Pelling (approx. 65 kms away); Buddha park, Maenam hill near Ravangla. One can also undertake good walks on the nearby hills in the direction of towns such as Legship.
5. In case of any questions / support needed for deciding on where to go during the stay, seeking Thendup's and his team's advice would considerably help.
Overall, we had a great experience and would love to visit the place again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All meals included in room rate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelGuru so you can book your Yangsum Heritage Farm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.