“Arrived a few hours ago”

Yangsum Heritage Farm
Reviewed 23 April 2016

This home stay was recommended by a friend of a friend (thank you Pema) I was immediately made welcome and a young lady of the family back on break from University has aleady taken me for a walk around the local homesteads that are a part of this hillside. On return from my walk I was offered filter coffee which I am drinking now and it is yummy. The Octagonal cottage room is huge and smells of the beautiful wood it was built from. Immaculately clean and now time for a shower. A must for any visitor to West Sikkim!

Room Tip: The Octagonal Cottage will have views of kangchenjunga when the cloud clears
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 19 April 2016

The owner, Thendup, is a wonderful, warm, helpful host. The farm has been in his family for generations. I had a view of Mt. Kanchenjunga right outside my window in a beautiful octagonal cabin, all built from wood from the farm. Delicious home cooking with local organic food. Wonderful day hikes through the forest and villages, visits to the local monasteries. The people of Sikkim are very special: peaceful, generous, friendly... buddhist prayers flags everywhere. I felt completely safe and comfortable traveling by myself as a solo woman.
Few tourists!!! go now !!
Also, the driver , Raju, who met me at the train station and drove me 5 hours up to the farm is wonderful man and I will never forget the young guide who took me on a long hike which included list to his family village . These people, this place, will be in my heart forever. Of course , i want to go back.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank janewickman
Reviewed 3 February 2016

My Husband and I both had a simply fantastic time at Yangsum Heritage Farm.

The rooms were all very clean and the food was simply excellent. The host, Mr. Thendup Bhutia was extremely helpful in helping us plan our 3 days in Rinchenpong. He also showed us around the farm and gave us a tour of their kitchen garden. We did a day trek from the farm until the old monastery and back. This trek was very invigorating and we got a glimpse of the village life, the forest and the mountains! The guide provided from the farm was very good.

On our last day, we were able to get a breathtaking view of the Kanchendzonga from the window of our cottage! The window is opposite the bed and you get a view of the mountains right from your bed.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

I spent a couple of nights here, Tashi had organised a pick up from Bagdogra and thoughout my stay I was so well looked after!

Lovely people, yummy food (they catered to all my vegetarian needs) and an amazing walk with Prakash! A beautiful walk with beautiful people.. Welcoming into their village and homes.. Walking through forests, monasteries, schools, market places, a bungalow built by the Brits once upon a time .. Having tea with a family and even some momos at a fast food place.. Indian hospitality at its best!!! The little girl in the school was my highlight.. So so cute!

Sikkim needs a few days.. So if planning to come.. Do stay, a short 2 day trip just does not do it justice!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2015

Any review of this property should start or end with it's owner Thendup Tashi. He is a great guy to welcome you and bid you good bye in his most warm & cordial way that you may expect from a homestay host. He is probably single most reason why you should visit this place, maybe again and again.

Location is very remote, in fact you would loose hope of finding it yourself on day one, although the route is very straightforward & you would never get lost indeed. When you reach there, you know you have been looking for a quiet place like this only.

Cottages are located in a scattered way. Three rooms are collocated in one block, these are great for family stays or group stays. They have no view from rooms but you wouldn't miss. We stayed in 2 rooms here. Toilet is basic, but has hot water in basin & shower. Linens were clean, blanket was warm enough. Only thing that bothered me a little is the feeling that there were spiders & other insects which might trespass my bed in the darkness of night, however, this is probably caused by a constant sound of termites in the wooden room, otherwise it was very clean indeed & not shabby at all. We stayed 2nights here and had sound sleeps!

There is a standalone house for family stay...it has some views of mountain and a great attic type watch tower with private seating. There is another exotic circular cottage, right in the middle of nowhere with direct view of Kanchenjunga from room. The sixth room is located on the first floor of the dining area, this has a limited view of the mountains from it's balcony.

The food is great...very sikkimese style...it's own ways of using spices & vegetables...you would like it. But some of the dishes could be hot...real spicy. Breakfast could be served in the lawn if you ask.

The best part of the property is the gazebo on the fringe with an astounding view of the Kanchenjunga range. We were lucky to witness the peak at the sunrises and the range was visible for most of the day on day one. We took walks in the nature, around the village, up & down...the mountains were visible all the way.

Last but not the least attraction is Caesar, the dog. He loves guests. He had one leg injury, but he kept accompanying us in all our local hikes. On the day of our departure, Caesar kept running with our car for 2 miles uphill and then we realized that he was breathless but determined to come with us...so we took him inside the car and drove to Kaluk where we left him with his master.

People are probably the most amazing discovery of this place...everyone greeted me, on my walking trails, with a smile of a friend. The 4-5yr old daughter of the cook became a great friend to my son & his friend. The drivers were very friendly and the staff were like local guides too.

It was great stay for me, but I can say that some guests may not find it either as conveniently located or professionally managed or adequately maintained depending on taste & expectations....this is not a luxury property, but a very decent one. The owner doesn't expect a great footfall here or want to expand a lot because it is his home too. If you are in a mood for romance or adventure or just leisure then you would like this place & love it's people.

Room Tip: 3 rooms have no views, 1 has limited view, and 2 rooms have view of Kanchenjunga. All rooms are grea...
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Santanu M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rinchenpong
6.6 km away
3.4 km away
Rinchenpong Village Resort
Rinchenpong Village Resort
#25 of 62 in West Sikkim

Been to Yangsum Heritage Farm? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK