“Fantastic view”

and up
Tangkuban Perahu Crater Tour from Bandung
Ranked #5 of 22 things to do in Lembang
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Amazing view. If possible, would want to spend more time trekking around the crater of the volcano. A place not to b missed when u r at lembang.

All reviews
in 25 reviews
"traffic jam"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Tankuban Berahu is one of my favourite place to visit in Bandung. This is my fifth time to visit the volcano within 10 years. The place I have heard from the local people that it erupted multiple time in Feb 2013 through Dec 2015. For this visit I has found a lot of positive change. The smell of sulphur is not so strong and the place and souvenir shop is more well organised!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Overall the place is good, nice weather , we paid 40IDR each (foreigner with kitas) as an entrace fee to visit the volcano and another 150IDR for all of us to visit the domas..it was about 1.2km walk in the jungle. (please do not forget to wear your comfort shoes).My 6yrs old son and I did the mud massage at the kawah putih for 75thou each roughly for abt 15-20mins.they wanted 100idr each, claimed the mud is so expensive and etc.I managed to find out the mud is only 40thouIDR per 600ml..i cant believe they tried to sell at 450 rupiah per bottle we took a ride back 50thou/per bike as it was too tiring to walk back. and yes all the way up and down the pushy sellers everywhere charging ridiculously for the cheap things they are selling..

1  Thank DevamalarS1
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

The environment itself was fascinating and I could have really enjoyed it but the pushy sellers that followed me all the way down to the hot pools were horrible. I had 5 of them all talking to me nonstop, practically forcing me to have them take photos of me every two minutes, they kept physically grabbing me to “help” me when I didn’t need help, (they were hindering not helping anyway) I tried telling them I just want to walk in peace and quiet, enjoy looking at nature but they wouldn’t listen. At the bottom they opened up their backpacks pulled out the souvenirs and then pushed me and tried to guilt me ( saying our families are hungry, this is my only income etc) and no matter how many times I said no they kept pushing their horrid souvenirs that I didn’t want at me and wouldn’t stop - asking for 200000 idr for these really ugly magnets not even worth one dollar and necklaces and bracelets for 500000idr. I gave in eventually because I was so stressed by that point I had lost all will to argue anymore. I bargained them down a little bit but still spent a ridiculous amount of money on ugly broken magnets and a bracelet that didn’t even fit me. I was even raising my voice saying I can’t afford it but no. It was horrible. I could barely look around as they were all surrounding me and bossing me around non stop. I wanted to sit down and I had to scream at them to stop telling me what to do and let me sit down. I am a trauma survivor and I hardly ever have problems with my PTSD symptoms, but the sellers were so bad it actually triggered me, one reason I eventually was unable to keep fighting about buying their things because they just made me feel like I was going to have a breakdown and I was so upset I felt violated and so drained by the end I didn’t do any more sightseeing that day, just went to my hotel feeling sad, abused and ripped off. Amazing volcano, horrible time.

3  Thank TiaRose9
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 March 2018

I grew up in a coastal city in the southwest US, so staring into volcanoes is rare and unique experience for me - especially ones that have blown their tops in recent memory.

Tangkuban Perahu (Upside Down Canoe) is roughly a 3-hour drive east of Jakarta (depends on weather and ever-present traffic), south of Bandung. We went by private car, because I avoid tours like the plague. I would rather discover things for myself. Just my thing, you understand.

Driving out of Bandung takes you through beautiful farmland and a dozen villages on a fairly good-quality road. Plenty of food stalls and handicrafts along the way, of course. The ascent up the mountain is remarkable for the transition from coastal plains to alpine, and the sudden drop in temperature along the way. It's a wonderful drive full of what you imagine Indonesia to look like from the brochures, and a welcome break from the overcrowded and noisy cities.

At the turn-off from the main road going to the park, there was a large group of about 30 monkeys all sitting on the median apparently as amused by watching the tourists and we were by watching them. Beware! These are wild animals. Take necessary precautions and don't feed them!! You WILL regret it.

The entry road takes you through a lush forested mountain setting. You will need to stop and pay the entry fee, which is IDR100,000 per carload (more if they see foreigners in the car).

You'll be efficiently guided to a parking space, and when you get out, you will instantly notice two things: first, you should have brought a jakcet, and second, the smell of fire and brimstone.

There are plenty of diversions to separate tourists from their money. I avoid most of them like the plague. There are dozens of shops selling local crafts, horseback rides and many other distractions, but there are really two main things to do here:

1) stand at the Rail of Questionable Safety and stare into the pits of Hell several hundred meters below, where noxious gases bubble up into a multicolored lake of acid while imagining what would happen if the flimsy rail gave way;

2) take the rather arduous hike down to the secret cave near the lake's edge to see the thousands of offerings given to the volcano god to spare West Java from his wrath.

CAUTION! Do NOT allow any part of yourself to touch the decidedly alien lake of boiling acid. You have been warned.

Meanwhile, back at the top of the crater, there are incredible views in all directions. Whether you stare into the gaping maw of Perdition itself, or gaze into the vast distances visible at that altitude, Either way, the awe of the moment overcomes even the most persistent souvenir peddlers.

Tangkuban Perahu is an active volcano. It last erupted violently in the mid-80s, and there is no reason to believe it won't do so again. If taking risks in life is not one of your things, this trip will scare the bejezuz out of you. Either from awe or paranoia, you will have an experience that will last a lifetime.

The name "upside down canoe" comes from a legend in which a god is separated from his mother at a very young age. When he reached adulthood, he fell in love with a beautiful goddess who turned out to be his mother. In anger and frustration, he kicked his god-canoe and flipped it upside down, thus explaining the shape of the mountain range where the volcano is located.

Crowds are moderate to heavy, depending on time of year and day of the week. Bring your own water bottles and snacks, or pay the (tourist) price. If you are skilled, everything but the park entrance fee is negotiable.

If you are of European stock, expect to have a number of requests for photographs with entire families. I probably had 10 or 12 such occasions. Of course, I was wearing my cowboy hat, so that probably helped. In any case, you will be a novelty for a great many folks there.

As an added bonus, turn left when you exit the park and drive a few kilometers to the tea plantations. There's an amazing waterfall (with a little hiking) and enough tea bushes to dazzle the mind, not to mention a lovely drive in the mountains with uncluttered views and fresh, cool air.

I highly recommend this trip regardless of the effort.

1  Thank Bernard G